Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/15/2005 3:15:59 PM EDT
What guns do you think are the Epitome of their division?  
The epitome of the DA revolver?  
SA revolver?  
Hi-capacity 9mm/.40?  
Single stack .45?  
10mm?
Bug?

any other suggestions for divisions?
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 3:25:51 PM EDT
[#1]
My choices-

Has to be the S&W 686.  Make it a "+" if you must, but to me the ultimate DA revolver is the 4" barrel .357 magnum.  Not the new ones with the transfer bar either, but the ones with the firing pin on the hammer.

SA revolver?

Colt SAA, hands down.  The various Rugers are nice, but ever since I was a kid it's been the Colt SAA that I think of when I think of a cowboy gun.

Hi-capacity 9mm/.40?

I think I'm going with the Beretta 92fs on this one.  I've never owned one, and don't think I ever will, but there's just something about that gun that seems right with the 9mm cartridge.

Single stack .45?

Not many people might agree with this, but I think the ADCO-spec RRA captures everything a single stack .45 needs to be, and none of what it doesn't.  I'd prefer it without the checkered frontstrap, but otherwise it's pretty much perfect.  Affordable, all tool steel, parkerized instead of some hi-tec finish, and reliable.

10mm?

I have to go with the Bren Ten since it's what first made me aware of the 10mm cartridge when good ole Sonny carried one.  
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 4:09:08 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
SA revolver?  
Hi-capacity 9mm/.40?  
Single stack .45?  
10mm?
Bug?

Colt Python or SW N Frame

Colt SAA

Sig P226 or BHP

SW J frame.
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 6:29:58 AM EDT
[#3]
Hi-cap non-plastic 9mm? CZ-75.  Plastic?  G-19.

Singlestack .45, 1911 of whatever flavor, but fullsize.

10mm?  G20.  Capacity, reliability, and durability unmatched in the Bren or 1911.

BUG?  snubby smith.
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 6:49:43 AM EDT
[#4]
SA revolver?
I love my Ruger Super Blackhawk 44 magnum.  (although I have never fired anything but Ruger SA's So I am a little biased

Hi-capacity 9mm/.40?
Beretta 92FS Vertec.  I have fired many many 9mms.  Its the best to me, which is why I own one.

Single stack .45?
Sig P220 and the 1911.    Could not decide.  1911 for beauty, grace and range time.  P220 for dirty work and "next to the bed" dependability.

10mm?
Never shot one

Bug?
The Praying Mantis kicks ass.  I am not to fond of their sexual practices, but one of them bad asses eating a cricket is just so primal.
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 5:05:02 PM EDT
[#5]
N/A

SA revolver?  
Colt Single Action Army or the Ruger Super Blackhawk.

Hi-capacity 9mm/.40?  
Hmm, lots of goodies in this catagory, but I am going to say Beretta 92/96 Vertec. Followed closley by HK, SIG and Glock (That order).

Single stack .45?  
The SA G.I. is a good base gun, but I really prefer the Kimber TLE. Nice gun.

10mm?
N/A

.22 Pistol
Ruger Mk II.
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 5:31:24 PM EDT
[#6]
My choices

DA Revolver-S&W Triple Lock

SA Revolver-First Generation Colt Single Action Army

Hi-Cap 9MM-Browning High Power

Single Stack 45-Pre 1970 Colt National Match

10MM-Glock

BUG-Colt Detective Special
Link Posted: 9/17/2005 7:54:39 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

I still don't own any revolvers but the older blued S&W's are the only ones that do anything for me.

SA revolver?

no experiance whatsoever here.  the only on i've ever shot was my dad's single six

Hi-capacity 9mm/.40?

Glock 19, the best handgun of all time.  Riding in my holster as we speak.

Single stack .45?

1911, and if i had to pick one, the kimber warrior get's my nod.  (I don't hate everything else, i just like glocks better )

10mm?

Glock 20  The point of 10mm was more firepower.  15+1 of 10mm is a lot of firepower

Bug?

Glock 26.  The BUG with more firepower than some peoples primaries.  Got one in my ankle rig right now.
Link Posted: 9/17/2005 9:48:26 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I still don't own any revolvers but the older blued S&W's are the only ones that do anything for me.

SA revolver?

no experiance whatsoever here.  the only on i've ever shot was my dad's single six

Hi-capacity 9mm/.40?

Glock 19, the best handgun of all time.  Riding in my holster as we speak.

Single stack .45?

1911, and if i had to pick one, the kimber warrior get's my nod.  (I don't hate everything else, i just like glocks better )

10mm?

Glock 20  The point of 10mm was more firepower.  15+1 of 10mm is a lot of firepower

Bug?

Glock 26.  The BUG with more firepower than some peoples primaries.  Got one in my ankle rig right now.

GLOCK FANBOY ALERT!

Link Posted: 9/18/2005 5:28:43 AM EDT
[#9]
used to be an 1911 guy, then an HK guy, then realized they were all just stepping stones on my road to perfection.

And if i was a 100% biased glocker i would have picked the glock 36 as the best single stack 45.
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 11:33:55 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
used to be an 1911 guy, then an HK guy, then realized they were all just stepping stones on my road to perfection.

And if i was a 100% biased glocker i would have picked the glock 36 as the best single stack 45.

Yeah..............................sure.

lol.

Honestly though, your post did seem a little biased. But I think that Glocks are great guns that work every time you pull the trigger, whats not to like?
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 3:36:46 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

The epitome of the DA revolver?  Smith and Colt medium and large framed guns

SA revolver?  the Colt SAA

Hi-capacity 9mm/.40?  The Browning HP in either caliber...accept no substitutes

Single stack .45?  that you have to ask is offensive   but Colt 1911 Gov't is your answer

10mm?Colt Delta Elite

Bug?

My division:  MOST BEAUTIFUL:  the original Pasadena Model 180 .44 Auto Mag with the 8.5 inch barrel
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 7:02:06 PM EDT
[#12]
Ubiquitous for the category:

Colt Python 6" blued

Colt SAA

Glock 17 (If it must be steel: Browning HP even though I don't personally like them)

Any Well built 1911

Colt Delta Elite (even though I've got a Glock 20, not a Colt)

J-Frame .38.

My "add your own category:"  The king of .22 pistols: Colt Woodsman Match Target.
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 11:08:36 AM EDT
[#13]
If by epitome, you mean the gun that jumps to mind when somebody mentions the words, the list looks like this:

S&W medium frame
Colt SAA
Glock 19
Colt 1911
Colt Delta Elite
Seecamp 32

To me, those are the ones that reflect the genre.  

If by epitome, you mean the ultimate expression of the genre, the list changes a bit.

S&W N frame
Ruger Super Blackhawk
HK USP
Custom 1911 by any of the top 'smiths
Glock 20
Kel-Tech P3AT (only because I don't consider the Glock 26 to be a true BUG)
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 11:19:16 AM EDT
[#14]
don't know much about revolvers, but of the different brands that I had shot S&W felt the best to me.

9mm or 40: USP gets my vote, it has the lightness of a glock but the DA capability of a Beretta, which would be the next 2 in line.

Single stack .45: Colt Gold Cup, my favorite 1911 of all time

10mm: Glock 20

Back up: G27
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top