Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/15/2005 1:37:45 PM EDT
I have a buddy looking for a good pistol. He's a lefty so I don't know what pistol to recommend. He needs something that isn't too expensive. I was thinking about a CZ85B for him, but it only comes in 9mm, right? I think he wants a .40. You lefties out there, what would you recommend?
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 1:42:46 PM EDT
[#1]
I am a lefty and I like the XD series...  Most left handed people can over come the locations of slide release etc.

Howver, for a lefty you must put the holster into this equation before you make any decisions.  This is a bigger problem than the pistol.
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 4:05:52 PM EDT
[#2]
Here is the list:

Fully Ambidextrous

HK P7M8/13 9mm
HK P7 M10 .40 (Rare and a lot of money)
HK P2000 9mm or .40
Walther P88 9mm (Rare)
Beretta 92 9mm (ambi safefy, but need to change the mag release)
Beretta 96 .40

Other handguns that will work for left hand shooters

HK USP Fullsize or Compact. In left hand varient
Walther P5 (ejects shells to the left)
Glock 23 or 22 .40
1911 with ambi safety
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 4:18:34 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Here is the list:

Fully Ambidextrous

Glock 23 or 22 .40

I'm a lefty. I've carried aGlock since '94. It IS NOT "fully ambidextrous", the mag release is a big problem.
I am considering a new carry pistol due to this fact.
Springfield looks good.
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 4:27:47 PM EDT
[#4]
I like my Kimber Warrior very well.  I also like my HK USP, but I still need the left hand safety for it.  I'm having trouble getting the part.  At least the magazine release works well.  The only problem I have with each of these handguns is when holstered (on my left hip) the safety can be accidentally disengaged just by brushing against something, because it's on the outside.  This won't be a problem for the HK USP once I have the left hand safety for it.

I had a Springfield XD9, and didn't really care for it as a lefty.
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 4:33:22 PM EDT
[#5]
I have a USP with the left hand safety. Work the slide release with my trigger finger.  XD would be good, but the slide release is too far back for me to use.  Holsters are a pain. Took 4 months plus to get my pancake holster from strong in LH.  
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 6:52:33 PM EDT
[#6]
With out a doubt, the FN Five-seveN.  I have a Kimber Warrior, Kimber Ultra CDP, Springfield Champion, Springfield Full Sized Custom Black/Stainless, Springfield Compact, and various revolvers and like the Five-seveN the best.  I am also left handed.

JMHO,
MadDog
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 7:26:03 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Here is the list:

Fully Ambidextrous

Glock 23 or 22 .40

I'm a lefty. I've carried aGlock since '94. It IS NOT "fully ambidextrous", the mag release is a big problem.
I am considering a new carry pistol due to this fact.
Springfield looks good.

I never said the Glock was Fully ambi, just that it is a pistol that could work for left hand shooter. True, with a Glock you can not switch the mag release but Glock does not have a safety or de cock controls that are right hand only.

The fully ambi handguns are HK Walther and Beretta.
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 7:47:09 PM EDT
[#8]
I'm a lefty and I went with a 92FS Vertec.  Not fully Ambi, but enough for me and fits great in my not so big hands.  I liked the Glock, but it was too light.  I had saw a left handed Walter p-5, but the guy was asking like 600 for it.
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 9:35:01 PM EDT
[#9]
My 4506 feels really good in both hands...they do make them in a left handed version too...although it is a .45 and not a .40 I still like it very much.
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 10:03:13 PM EDT
[#10]
CZ85, is a good pistol.   Looking at CZ's website it looks like the 85 is only in 9mm.  I could have swore I saw an ambi HK on these boards in the past...
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 1:12:59 AM EDT
[#11]
My Ruger P-85 is ambi-safty and mag release.
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 1:03:58 PM EDT
[#12]
I am a lefty and I have a 92FS which I think is a great gun and am in the process of getting an HK USP which can be switched to a left handed safety for conceal and carry. Glocks are good guns but I really wanted a safety/decocker. To each his own though.
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 1:17:05 PM EDT
[#13]
I'm a lefty, i say glock.  I too wanted a safety on my gun, so i got the glock because it had 3.

The only non-ambidextrous thing about the glock is the mag release which lefty's should learn to hit with their middle finger anyway.  The slide stop shouldn't be used to close the slide as the slingshot method is preferred.  If you need to lock the slide back using it, this is easily accomplished with an upward sweep of the index finger.
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 1:22:28 PM EDT
[#14]
Long out of production and usually quite pricey when you can find one, but if he is well-heeled he could look for a Randall "Lefty"...

www.sightm1911.com/lib/history/randall_history.htm
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 1:38:19 PM EDT
[#15]
1911 with an ambi safety, or an HK USP.

I'm left handed and I carry a 1911.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top