Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/7/2005 6:36:50 PM EDT
I just bought a Glock magazine, 9 mm with #5 follower, 17 round capacity, and am finding it nearly impossible to take apart. I pushed the retaining pin on the bottom of the magazine in, and now it's stuck there. Meanwhile, I can't slide the magazine floorplate off. And I can't get the pin to pop back out either. What should I do???
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 6:52:11 PM EDT
[#1]
Glock tool is best but a long allen wrench or punch stuck into the hole in the floorplate will work.  Force the punch or whatever your using into the whole and push really hard toward the front of the mag to dislodge the floorplate.  It'll then come loose, lift the punch out and continue to remove the floorplate to disasseble the mag.
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 6:56:07 PM EDT
[#2]
I stuck an allen wrench all the way in. Not working. In fact, I can see springs and stuff in front of the hole. I think the plastic circle piece actually broke. And this is a brand new magazine, never even been used before.   :(
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 7:18:54 PM EDT
[#3]
Help, anyone!!!
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 7:26:27 PM EDT
[#4]
Sorry wish I could help, but just woundering in Brand New why are you taking it apart?
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 7:27:42 PM EDT
[#5]
Put on eye protection.

I put the mag on the edge of a table.  For new mags, wear gloves.  Use the Glock tool or an Allen/hex wrench.  Slightly squeeze the mag body just above the floor plate and hold the mag body on the table edge with just the floor plate hanging off.  Push the floor plate off, pushing toward the round side.  It will come off.  

New mags are tight.  You probably WILL get cut if you don't wear gloves.
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 7:43:21 PM EDT
[#6]
I decided to take it apart when I noticed the magazine follower had an unusual amount of "wiggle." Couldn't take it apart. Then decided to load up the mag... And no matter how hard I tried, I couldn't load more than 12 rounds into a 17 round magazine (even using the mag loader). I think something is very screwy with the springs. I'm going to call Glock. What's their usual policy regarding this?
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 8:11:15 PM EDT
[#7]
Dude, I feel your pain. he
I have to get mine pinched in vice grips and somehow, by an act of God, I finally get the thing open.  The pictured instructions that come with the pistol are hilarious.  Ha! AS IF it comes apart that easily!!!  I hope that easy to disassemble mags are the big upcoming "Glock surprise!"
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 8:13:45 PM EDT
[#8]
Don't get me wrong, I'm new to Glocks (just bought a G-17... my first pistol ever) but so far my Glock has worked great at the range. It's just this blasted mag. I think it's defective and I'm going to see what Glock does about it.
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 12:40:10 AM EDT
[#9]
This is easy, once you know how to do it properly.

http://glockmeister.com/magdis.shtml

I used to hate taking them apart until I had Ben at Glockmeister show me how in person. (I later found the link on his website.) He makes it look really easy, and it is, once you learn how to do it. Basically you can't be afraid to break it; stick the Glock disassembly tool all of the way inside of the magazine, ignore the crunching sound of the magazine insert flipping up inside against the spring, and pull the mag base forward with the Glock disassembly tool (a punch of the same size/length would work too.) Be sure to cover the bottom of the mag with your thumb, remove the Glock tool, and then pull the base the rest of the way off of the mag, and ease the spring and follower out. It's a snap once you have done it a few times, trust me.

Link Posted: 9/8/2005 12:51:09 AM EDT
[#10]
I had the same problem the first time I did it for fear of breaking a mag but the are exceptionally tough.
No special Glock tool is needed.
I just used a small flat bladed screwdriver, inserted it into the seam between the mag and base after pushing in the pin and popped it right off.
Absolutely no damage was done to the mags. To get the pin back into the hole just tap it a few times on a solid object and it will snap right into place
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 12:51:24 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
I stuck an allen wrench all the way in. Not working. In fact, I can see springs and stuff in front of the hole. I think the plastic circle piece actually broke. And this is a brand new magazine, never even been used before.   :(

You must have some new design.    My method has worked for me since 1987.  FWIW,  The tool you use dislodges the 'plastic circle piece' and forces it up into the front of the mag tube.  It takes maybe 20lbs of force or more on the allen wrench to unlock the magazines floor plate.  YMMV.
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 2:35:03 PM EDT
[#12]
Alright, I took the mag to the dealer and he opened it up for me and put it back togehter (like I said, I was afraid I would break it). The mag seems fine now, but when I load my rounds, I hear a loud SNAP of what I think is the magazine spring about midway through (like about round 8 or 9). I can load the mag with all 17 rounds fine though. Is that snapping sound normal? My other magazines don't make that snapping sound. Is the spring out of place? Is it twisted? Is it sticking on something? Am I worrying too much, or should I try to open it myself and realign the spring or something???

Thanks everyone for your help. That Glockmeister link is helpful.
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 3:04:09 PM EDT
[#13]
never heard a snap before in mine
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 6:21:47 PM EDT
[#14]
Crap.
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 6:35:47 PM EDT
[#15]
Can someone talk me through the mag dissassembly? I'm following those instructions on Glockmeister and this thing isn't budging. The bottom of my mag is looking worse and worse.
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 6:41:05 PM EDT
[#16]
push in the button on the floor plate and move it as much as it will go
slide a small bladed screwdriver into the opening as far as you can and tilt the handle in the same direction the floor plate is moving. Don't be afraid to just push it. That's how I did it and i never busted a mag.
The squeezing the side of the mag never really helped me
Link Posted: 9/10/2005 1:22:39 AM EDT
[#17]
Ok, I've disassembled and reassembled it a few times and I think I've got the process down well now. However, I've so far been unable to prevent the mag from making a "snap" sound about mid-way through loading the mag with rounds. I'm pretty sure it's the magazine spring but I don't know why it's making that sound.
Link Posted: 9/10/2005 1:36:47 AM EDT
[#18]
I think the sound is coming from the bottom of the mag. I put my ear to the bottm and that's where it is definitely the loudest when it makes the "snap." It sounds like the mag spring is hitting something or popping into place.
Link Posted: 9/10/2005 4:12:41 PM EDT
[#19]
Anyone know what the sound is, and if it's ok/normal??? Please let me know.
Link Posted: 9/10/2005 4:20:12 PM EDT
[#20]
Dremel the floor plate off, and add a plus 5 bottom.
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 10:18:40 PM EDT
[#21]
Solved and fixed it!

I opened the magazine up again and peered up through it at a lamp. I noticed there was a bit of raised, chaffed plastic sticking up about an inch from the bottom of the magazine. Looked like a bit of excess plastic from the molding process. I went to work with a file and a knife and smoothed it out. Reassembled the magazine, and no more "SNAP" anymore!!! The magazine spring must have been getting hung up on that when it was being compressed, and once it got to around round 8 or 9, the spring was forced past it, making the "SNAP."

Thanks, everyone, for the help. It was a minor annoyance but you know how we are about our guns. :)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top