Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/4/2005 8:51:17 AM EDT
Hello,

I was wondering what the concensus oppinion is converning the use of used guns for self defense.

Are they generally less reliable?  I know that it is going to vary from gun to gun.  Would you feel comfortable with one?

I have recently bought a USP Tac .45 and a Sig 226 both used and was wondering if I should have just spent the extra $ for peace of mind.  The Sig was from CDNN the USP was from a 3rd party.  Both guns were manufactured in 1998 according to the date codes.

Thanks for the replies.....

JMN69
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 8:59:07 AM EDT
[#1]
Both guns will be running  well after you rust out.
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 10:46:59 AM EDT
[#2]
There are some guns that you just can't find except used. Like HK P7s and Colt Pythons. I doubt there are any owners of those guns that feel outgunned or at risk because of it.
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 12:51:38 PM EDT
[#3]
For used guns, I would thoroughly clean them, and replace anything that wears (springs).  

Get a couple NEW magazines if possible.  

For test, fire AT LEAST 200 rounds as a shake down.  I'd prefer to run about 100 rounds to 'dirty it up' and break it in a little.  Then fire 100-400 more rounds to really determine how reliable it is.  
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 3:37:02 PM EDT
[#4]
As he said, run some rds thru them & then load them up, IMO. I buy most of my guns used, FWIW.
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 5:57:19 PM EDT
[#5]
Heck, I have WW2 guns I would not hesitate to strap on to use in self defense and they have had thousand s and thousands of rounds thru them.  New springs, new mags, and a through check over by you if you are familiar with them or a REAL gunsmith. Then shoot it, and shoot it some more.
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 8:59:42 PM EDT
[#6]
I have had many used weapons that I trusted my life to.
Used doesnt mean sub quality, or beaten....it just means you arent the first one to pull the trigger.
I have had used pistols that were visably no different from a brand new one in the case.
I am looking at my G22 sitting in front of me right now....it was used when I got it...had maybe a box of ammo though it.....came clean and damn near perfect, barrel didnt even have scuff marks at the usual places where friction occurs during cycling!

Just shop carefully, be patient, and you can find great bargains on brand name weapons.
I actually try to buy used most of the time....it saves money, and most of the guns I own I have no reason to buy a brand new weapon.

If you are looking to build a match grade, precision target weapon, then yeah....you will want brand new, perfect parts.....if you are looking for a regular shooter, or even a CCW, used is fine....just stick with reputable brands and models.

(Here is another way to look at it......was your wife or girlfriend a virgin when you met her? How much difference did that make over time?)
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 1:45:04 AM EDT
[#7]
I've bought used weapons several times and most have been as reliable as you can get.  Sounds like you are over-analyzing your purchase.  Any big purchase, like an HK TAC, puts me through a little "buyers remorse".  But I forget all about it when I'm out shootin!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top