Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/3/2005 7:08:41 AM EDT

This is a new concern for me.
I recently bought a Taurus .357 snubbie.

Haven't shot it much yet , but have been practicing dryfire.
(this is the first revolver I have shot in YEARS , I'm used to Autos )

I am a Lefty - and find that when I try rapid DA fire with my weak (right) hand ,
I experience difficulty in pulling the trigger fully after 2 or three pulls - also
the trigger resets slower.

Anybody else have this problem? - and how do you build up hand strength?
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 8:30:37 AM EDT
[#1]

I recently bought a Taurus .357 snubbie.
this is a large part of the problem, right here. You bought a TAURUS .357 snubbie, and Taurus guns lately seem to come equipped with the heaviest springs they can find. Stick a set of Wolff springs in it, and the trigger pull will be hugely improved.
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 5:45:19 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 11:13:44 PM EDT
[#3]
I agree with ikor, when you change the spring be double sure that they will fire. I would try it with several different brands of ammo. I have a 5 shot S&W 696 L-frame 44spl, I changed out the mainspring to a Wolf reduced power spring, and the gun won't fire in DA-mode, I had to put the factory mainspring back.
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 6:01:01 AM EDT
[#4]
Just shoot it more with your right hand.

The reality is if you can shoot it fine with your left hand but not your right, the problem isn't with the gun.  Therefore the gun shouldn't be screwed with unless there's some physical reason you can't shoot right-handed and need to (like missing some fingers, etc).

Since the gun works fine, and your left hand works fine, the logical thing is to simply grow stronger in your right hand.  The best way to do that is to simply shoot right handed, dry fire right handed, squeeze a racket ball with your right hand, use one of those spring hand exercise things, whatever.

The one thing you shouldn't be doing it screwing with the gun.  
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 6:38:13 AM EDT
[#5]
I've used a few gadgets to increase hand strength over the years, most of which were upwards of $20, but the tennis ball works about as well.  For wrist strength though there's a neat gadget with a gyroscope in the center of a ball.. Wind it up and try and hold it straight.  It speeds up and gets tougher as you do.  Really neat!
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 7:08:13 AM EDT
[#6]
My best advice is to simply dryfire the revolver more with your weak hand. Keep the pull slow and smooth thoughout and you'll get there...I used to do this while watching the TV at night, dryfire double action until my hand was tired, rest awhile and do this some more.
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 1:24:33 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
I've used a few gadgets to increase hand strength over the years, most of which were upwards of $20, but the tennis ball works about as well.  For wrist strength though there's a neat gadget with a gyroscope in the center of a ball.. Wind it up and try and hold it straight.  It speeds up and gets tougher as you do.  Really neat!

the best device is manufactured by iron mind and is called "captains of crush."  Just like the grippers you're used to but with resistance weights from 60-365lbs.  Only about 3 guys in the world who can close the #4.  I suggest you start with the "trainer" model.  If you find you can't effectively use it, buy the "sport" model and move up to a "trainer", and keep going up.  if you close a #3 at blade show ernie emerson will give you any and regular production knife of his free.
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 1:39:18 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
My best advice is to simply dryfire the revolver more with your weak hand. Keep the pull slow and smooth thoughout and you'll get there...I used to do this while watching the TV at night, dryfire double action until my hand was tired, rest awhile and do this some more.

Link Posted: 9/16/2005 3:29:27 PM EDT
[#9]
Now, realize that most gunshops and many enthusiasts recommends a revolver for women and think about the difficulty AK is having with the trigger pull.  Next time i say a revolver might not be the best choice for someones girlfriend/mother, this is why.
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 10:37:23 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

i2.photobucket.com/albums/y12/HardShell/RWB%20-%20Fun%20stuff/ElvisTV.jpg

That's why I specified DRYFIRE..  Though, to be honest, I've seen a few news clips that made me WANT to go to LIVEFIRE on the TV. LOL
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 8:16:19 PM EDT
[#11]
I wouldnt tinker with the springs at all. Build up your wrist and forearm strength.....it will benefit you in follow-up shots and accuracy.
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 5:54:41 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

That's why I specified DRYFIRE..  Though, to be honest, I've seen a few news clips that made me WANT to go to LIVEFIRE on the TV. LOL

This is CNN
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 6:22:41 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

This is CNN

If I watched CNN, I'd need to buy TV's in sixpacks.
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 6:33:30 AM EDT
[#14]
Tilt the gun slightly when shooting weak hand.  Not ghetto style, just about 15 degrees inboard.  Somehow the mechanics of your arm makes this more rigid.  I heard this quite a long time ago and it works for me.
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 8:00:55 AM EDT
[#15]
actually you should do this weak or strong hand.  Point at something about 20 feet away.  close your fist, this is the natural angle that your hand should be at while shooting single handed.  i tilt about 15 strong hand and 35 weak hand.

Not supprisingly this is also the angle you should have your hands at when throwing a punch bare knuckle because it alligns the bones in the hand with the wrist and forearm.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top