Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/2/2005 9:42:20 PM EDT
I had a very interesting experience with my 4 inch 500 S&W Mag. with some reloads I built up and fired off at the range today. The load was 350 gr. Sierra JHP on top of 40 gr. of H110 with a Fed. 210 LR primers. The loading data given was 39 gr. as low and 43 gr. as a max of H110.

Outside temp was about 70 degrees and clear - I was shooting with a glove and wearing a tee-shirt & jeans, double ear protection and shooting glasses - When I pulled the trigger I felt a immediate flash of heat across my forearms and forehead. I fired the same rounds again and the same results - Then I had friend of mine shoot the same load, he said the same thing - "I could feel the flash of heat as it was like a gasoline flash over". Anyone else experience this heat flash before with H110 and the 500 S&W? It sure gets your attention, plus everyone around you
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 4:11:57 PM EDT
[#1]
sweet
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 5:08:40 PM EDT
[#2]
i have a 4 inch 500  mag , i've prolly put around 300 rds thru it, but always factory loads, magtech or corbon... and i have never experienced something like that...

however i will say for accuracy this gun sucks... the barrel is WAY too short... i wouldnt buy again...
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 7:39:37 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
i have a 4 inch 500  mag , i've prolly put around 300 rds thru it, but always factory loads, magtech or corbon... and i have never experienced something like that...

however i will say for accuracy this gun sucks... the barrel is WAY too short... i wouldnt buy again...[/quote

A completely different view in my opinion..........With the factory setting of the sights my 4 inch 500 S&W is right on the money and one of the most accurate pistol I've shot, let alone being a BLAST to shoot and kills every evil thing in front of it.
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 7:29:13 PM EDT
[#4]
I haven't shot anything through mine other than 335gr Rainiers with 11.6gr of Titegroup.  It's a great light load, with just a hint of flash inside the muzzlebreak.  Bullet must not be moving more than 800fps...  It's pretty freaky so have so little powder in the case, but this isn't even the lightest load that Hornady publishes.

One of these days I'll move up to the "arm hair singe" loads...

I hope they make the .460 S&W in the short barrel... then I'll have a backup pistol for my weak hand!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top