Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/2/2005 12:10:39 AM EDT
Ive had my heart set on a CZ P-01 for carry but I'm starting to get cold feet.

I joined the ".45 or go home" club but really didn't like the idea of cocked and locked.

The CZ P-01 fit the bill due to capacity (if its a small caliber, have lots of it ) and the way it handles for me.

With my permit approved (F%$# you CT) I am finally allowed to actually purchase something but I think I have cold feet on the P-01.  Why?  The Para LDA series.

Not only do they have a variety of Carry options (I've shot the sub-com and the compact) but they have the Hi-cap (!) version.  The big draw to both being, of course, the LDA system that is just dreamy.

But, how wide exactly is the Hi-cap LDA series?  Is it uncomfortably huge?  I am yet to encounter one in person to handle it but how could you NOT like the idea of 12, 13, or even 14 round capacity?

Thanks for the imput... as always, I can always get both (when funds are in order... but that would take a year).

- BG

EDIT:  No, I'm not getting a Glock.
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 5:08:48 AM EDT
[#1]
Yes the Para is uncomfortably huge. Get the CZ.
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 5:22:02 AM EDT
[#2]
Both are very popular and good choices for CCW!
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 6:19:18 AM EDT
[#3]
From what I've read ParaOrd had some QC issues for a while.  Burrs in the machining and such.

CZ makes an excellent gun for the money.  You don't see many complaints about them.
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 6:45:44 AM EDT
[#4]
The Para LDA guns are very heavy, very wide (in the hi-cap versions), and not true DA. I'd go with the P-01...but I'm a little biased. My carry gun of choice is the P-01.

**edited due to piss-poor typing skills**
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 7:04:22 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 7:18:17 AM EDT
[#6]
A double action Auto is a solution to a problem that doesn't exist…

But by all means look around. The "Right" carry gun is the one you are comfortable with and can shoot well!
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 9:57:14 AM EDT
[#7]
I carry a ParaOrd Tac-Four when I'm off duty and on special details.   I prefer this gun to my dept issued Glock 22.  The grips on my Tac-Four are smaller than a Glock 21.  I've handled a G21 and didn't like the grip one bit.  Could not get a good solid grip on it.  I can grip my Tac-Four comfortably.  

ETA:  The Tac-Four does have a LDA trigger also and it is sweet.  The also come in OD green. Mine is stainless.
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 10:09:14 AM EDT
[#8]
 I've got a Para C.6 LDA, and love it.  Carry it all the time when I need something smaller than a full-size 1911.  It feeds just fine from a full size 1911 mag (8 rounds).

The widebody units are just that.  WIDE.  You may not have a problem shooting one, but you might just have a problem concealing it.

The rumors of  Para's QC problems aeem to be a decade old, but just keep getting repeated.   No problems with mine.  Also, that LDA isn't a true double action, and you SHOULD carry it "cocked and locked".  You may not think of it as cocked because the hammer rides the slide forward, but with a round in the chamber, it's as cocked as any Austrian Tupperware (or 1911) out there.

My advice; stick with the .45, get over carrying "cocked and locked" , and pick up a nice single-stack Officer's-sized piece (LDA or otherwise).  Then go out and practice like your life depended on it (because it does).
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 2:46:50 PM EDT
[#9]
I'm big on practice and I've handled CZs and Para LDAs.  If it isnt comfortable, it isnt for carry.

But I am SO glad several of you were able to finally tell me that the hi cap LDA is WIDE... the only response I've gotten in months outside of Arfcom was "deal with it... its hi cap!".

I may have to go with the CZ...

Thankies.

- BG
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 3:19:59 PM EDT
[#10]
I have both a single stack and a Para high cap 1911. The high cap is exactly 2mm wider than a stock 1911 grip. The big difference is that the high cap is the same width all the way around, while the single stack tapers at both ends. The LDA trigger is feels exactly like a light revolver trigger fired DA. Concealing a double stack vs a single stack 1911 is almost the same thing as long as thay are both the same model (i.e. full size, commander, etc.). I'm biased, I like SA autos with the exception being a PPKs for really deep carry.

Quoted:
I'm big on practice and I've handled CZs and Para LDAs.  If it isnt comfortable, it isnt for carry.

But I am SO glad several of you were able to finally tell me that the hi cap LDA is WIDE... the only response I've gotten in months outside of Arfcom was "deal with it... its hi cap!".

Thankies.

- BG

Link Posted: 9/3/2005 12:20:09 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
I have both a single stack and a Para high cap 1911. The high cap is exactly 2mm wider than a stock 1911 grip. The big difference is that the high cap is the same width all the way around, while the single stack tapers at both ends. The LDA trigger is feels exactly like a light revolver trigger fired DA. Concealing a double stack vs a single stack 1911 is almost the same thing as long as thay are both the same model (i.e. full size, commander, etc.). I'm biased, I like SA autos with the exception being a PPKs for really deep carry.

Quoted:

Thankies.

- BG

Now why do you have to go ruining my plans by making me think the Para would be a better choice?

I'm going to have to handle on a Para Hi-cap before I make a decision.  I have handled everything else except the hi-cap and you are throwing a wrench in the gears.

Thanks for the input!  I have a bit of shopping to do when I get back to CT!

- BG
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 10:30:25 PM EDT
[#12]
Definitely handle before you buy, but I have a Para Carry 12 that I really like.  It has never felt too wide to grip or carry for me, or too heavy.  I do like the LDA and the 12+1 and I like the stainless frame and slide.

That being said, I did have a 6.45 that was nothing but problematic.  It might have been a lemon but Para did right and eventually replaced it.  When they did, they asked if there was a different model I would prefer and I chose the Carry 12, which was not available when I first purchased the 6.45.

This gun has run problem free for over 3000 rounds, and I am getting pretty good with it.

Good luck.

Seydou
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 10:44:12 PM EDT
[#13]
CZ ALL THE WAY!

Edit: If you do not like the rail on the P01 the PCR is exactly almost the same pistol but you can get the PCR with a manual saftey instead of the decocker if you want. If you get the P01 remember when you judge the trigger pull that it is suposed to be shot from the halfcaocked position and that is why the decocker only lowers it to that postion. If you find the trigger pull stiff install a 17lb wolf hammer spring. I have a P01 and it is a fantastic pistol. I do not think it can be beat for the price. Just my two cents. I am biased towards CZs though. I am a bang for the buck kind of guy so they work extremely well for me.
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 10:55:40 PM EDT
[#14]
CZ  Suggest as poll.
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 12:42:26 PM EDT
[#15]
Just buy a Glock !

Link Posted: 9/4/2005 8:22:44 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
CZ  Suggest as poll.

Hehe, I appreciate the input from those that own em... any poll I put up will become a 9mm vs. .45 arguement.  

- BG
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 10:30:01 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:
CZ  Suggest as poll.

Hehe, I appreciate the input from those that own em... any poll I put up will become a 9mm vs. .45 arguement.  

- BG

+1 I like to hear why someone likes or dislikes it.
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 12:33:24 PM EDT
[#18]
CZ
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 12:47:54 PM EDT
[#19]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top