Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/25/2005 3:33:33 AM EDT
This was passed down from a WWII veteran whose tour of duty consisted of Africa up through Italy.

I have a feeling this was picked up somewhere along the way.  Does anyone know who carried this gun, etc etc.

Edit:  it is a 9mm

thanks

Fabrique Nationale....

Brownings patent...
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 3:42:26 AM EDT
[#1]
I'm sure you already know it's a Hi Power.  Germans did use them in limited quantities in the AOs you mentioned.
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 4:14:06 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
I'm sure you already know it's a Hi Power.  Germans did use them in limited quantities in the AOs you mentioned.

umm....i might.   but explain whatever that means incase.....someone else....doesnt know what you're talking about that reads this post
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 4:23:01 AM EDT
[#3]
Good info here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Browning_Hi-Power
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 4:32:21 AM EDT
[#4]
 When the Germans knocked off Belgium, they got the small arms plant, FN.   Fn was busy turning out the Hi Power, among other things, which was a pistol developed by J.M. Browning, who was trying to land some French military contracts.  It was a good pistol and the NAZI's insisted on continued production.    

The FN factory was maybe the only factory allowed to keep it's management in place under NAZI occupation, and production of the Hi Power was rumored to be booby-trapped with brittle steel and other "blow-up in your hand" kind of construction during this time.  

The FN Hi Power is the original "Wonder Nine"  -- Hi-cap 9mm.

(Author not responsible for deviation from fact, misspelling, or grammarical malformations.)
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 6:09:21 AM EDT
[#5]
the brits used them as well, and they had a big presence in africa.
i can't tell from the pics, and they don't seem to be mentioned, but IIRC, the nazi hi powers had german proof marks stamped on them during the time they controlled fn.
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 6:30:11 AM EDT
[#6]
There should be a Waffenamt stamp on it. A better picture of the barrel in the ejection port would be helpful. If it's Allies military there will be British, Aussie, or Canadian stamps on it.

There are three kinds of German pistols:

Type 1) Commercial finish, has tangent sights. Serial #s under German occupation 50,001-53,000 Proof mark of WaA 613

Type 2) Good finish, tangent rear sight. 90,000 produced. Proof marks of: WaA613 or WaA103 or WaA140.

Type 3) Rough finish, standard fixed sights. Has either Nazi eagle proof or WaA140 proof.

Link Posted: 8/25/2005 9:36:55 AM EDT
[#7]
ok, i looked on the gun and found what you were talking about.  i have no idea how to disable the flash on my moms digital camera so i just covered it up with my finger.  the red light made a cool effect, in my opinion.

it says WaA140 right by the trigger and also up on the slide with the corresponding symbol

Link Posted: 8/25/2005 9:40:27 AM EDT
[#8]
also here is a picture of the sights.

these seem pretty fixed to me.  so is this type 2 or type 3?

also, out of curiosity what is worth more.  this or a luger? (in comparable condition of course)  my only knowledge is that in band of brothers, everyone wanted a luger
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 12:58:32 PM EDT
[#9]
Luger is worth more, BY FAR, worth is all dependant on condition 4 to 700 is fair, but to get top dollar you will have to deal with a WW2 German gun collector. The big money is in WW2 US stuff right now. I paid 300 for a nice Sauer and Sohn 38H 32acp with original mag and holster. Well under what they list for as the market is just not getting top dollar unless in excellent condition. US stuff on the other hand is rediculous as far as GI 1911s and such. Cheers, nice pistol either way.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top