Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/21/2005 5:38:46 AM EDT
Link Posted: 8/21/2005 5:59:12 AM EDT
[#1]
Excellent.  As always, the most important part is how the gun feels in the individual users hand.  Peer pressure, and advertising should play no part in that choice.  If only everybody chose like you did.

Link Posted: 8/21/2005 6:01:00 AM EDT
[#2]
You answered your own question with the "fit" part.  The way it feels to you is most important.  It should feel like an extension of your hand.  Lots of people complain about the feel of a Glock.  The grip angle is pretty far off springfields and smiths. I personally hate them, but I'm still capable of giving an unbiased opinion.
Link Posted: 8/21/2005 6:11:10 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Excellent.  As always, the most important part is how the gun feels in the individual users hand.  Peer pressure, and advertising should play no part in that choice.  If only everybody chose like you did.

Glocks are good guns. Their finish is tougher than the XDs. Performance wise, they are equal for reliability and accuracy.

For me, the grip angle on the Glock was the definitive turn off. They just don't fit my hand. PERIOD.

I think you'll continued to be satisfied with your XD9 and, also, with the Glock.

wganz

Link Posted: 8/21/2005 6:18:24 AM EDT
[#4]
I look at the glock as an industrial standard for reliability and excellence. A Croatian made weapon doesn't have much appeal to me though. The XD is still pretty new, so that is why I'm staying away from them, like the new model cars. I'll wait a while for them to iron out any kinks.
Link Posted: 8/21/2005 6:29:13 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 8/21/2005 6:49:56 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 8/21/2005 11:10:55 AM EDT
[#7]
COMPLETELY disassemble a glock and xd slide of ALL parts side by side.

You will see which is the superior design.

Also if you are MIL or LEO you can get one hell of a deal on a glock with LE pricing.
Link Posted: 8/21/2005 3:54:45 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 8/21/2005 5:48:12 PM EDT
[#9]
I would get the GLock.
Link Posted: 8/21/2005 6:30:04 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Actually did that in the gunstore bud.  The most severe duty a handgun sees is the slide which takes the recoil.  The metal inserts that hold the slide on the XD polymer frame are almost twice as sturdy as the Glock.  

Sorry, I know that probably wasn't the point you were trying to make but you brought it up and your post a tad misleading.

Tj

Actually I was referring to the fit, finish, and ease of complete disassembly of the entire slide. (no roll pin on the Glock)

I don't own an XD but I have fired them and seriously considered purchasing one.  After comparing and firing both I ended up with the Glock.

From what I understand the HS2000s were fairly inexpensive pistols before Springfield Armory decided to slap their name on them...

I'd like to see someone do this with their XD...
www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=5&f=4&t=13658

Link Posted: 8/21/2005 7:29:09 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Actually did that in the gunstore bud.  The most severe duty a handgun sees is the slide which takes the recoil.  The metal inserts that hold the slide on the XD polymer frame are almost twice as sturdy as the Glock.  

Sorry, I know that probably wasn't the point you were trying to make but you brought it up and your post a tad misleading.

Tj

Actually I was referring to the fit, finish, and ease of complete disassembly of the entire slide. (no roll pin on the Glock)

I don't own an XD but I have fired them and seriously considered purchasing one.  After comparing and firing both I ended up with the Glock.

From what I understand the HS2000s were fairly inexpensive pistols before Springfield Armory decided to slap their name on them...

I'd like to see someone do this with their XD...
www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=5&f=4&t=13658

i'd just like to see SA come out w/ a .45acp XD

get the glock
Link Posted: 8/21/2005 8:05:26 PM EDT
[#12]
for me, glock 19 = #1 handgun ever, hands-down
Link Posted: 8/21/2005 8:50:07 PM EDT
[#13]
I was going to buy a XD but asked around at the indoor range, two owners complained of extractor trouble. The range monkey told me the extractors get kinda loose after about 5k rounds but they hadent had any trouble with the rental XDs. I ended up getting a good deal on a Glock 19 but am still considering a sub compact XD. You can have trouble with any gun, regardless of who makes it.
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 1:59:53 AM EDT
[#14]
BS when you give the nod to Glock on aftermarket sights/lights.  XD has a Glock light rail and uses Sig sights.  Where is the advantage for Glock?
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 2:45:23 AM EDT
[#15]
You are not going to go wrong with either, but here is some food for though.

XD sights are same as Sigs, lots of options there and from the factory they are metal not plastic.  

Tirgger, the XD trigger needs a little break in and lube,  Hands down I would pick a XD trigger over Glock.  

The XD front rails / locking block can be replaced where the Glock rails are molded in the frame.

The barrel, the XD has a very high quality hammer forged barrel, you can shoot lead with no problem and the chamber are fully supported.  
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 11:20:37 AM EDT
[#16]
I think it all comes down to preference between these guns.  I saw you mention the XD fits you better, so you chose right.  

Myself I like the Glock better.  I was going to buy an XD, tried it out, and I hated the trigger compared to the Glock.  Both are crap compared to my 1911.  

Different strokes.....
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 11:34:05 AM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 11:53:49 AM EDT
[#18]
I have both pistols and if I sell one it will be my XD. I like the XD and think it is a good pistol and mine is stainless so the finish can not wear off but I personaly would not want to buy a new pistol that I needed to send back to the factory for refinshing even if it was free but to each his own. Reliability and acuracy are about the same with each one. They both feel comfortable to me but I probably like the Glock a lttle better but maybe that is because I have shot it longer. The Glock finsh is definatly way better than the XD in my opinion and I like the rear sights on my Glock better as well as it has a simpler guid rod and recoil set up which I like better as well. If you get an XD you should not have a problem with it though except for the finish if you get the blued and I still have to make sure their is oil on my slide on my stainless version or it will corrode where as none of my other stainless pistols require frequent oiling.
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 4:03:09 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Springfield will refinish your slide for free when the finish wears off it

Seriously if you want a 1911 grip angle then the XD is the gun. It also has a better trigger than the Glock. We ended up selling my g/f's XD because it was kind of hard for her to work the slide. It is the subcompact model. It is accurate enough, and except for one of the sites falling off (fixed by the gunshop) nothing really went wrong with it. It has a strangely large/tall slide, that I think made it fell like it recoil more, combined with the barrel being higher than on a glock. The "subcompact" is similar to the mid sized Glock 19 when you put them side by side because of the tall slide. The barrel is shorter but that makes little difference in carry concealed. The XD does have a little hobbit sized tactical light.

You ever use one of the XL lights?   haven't personaly seen one but $100 compared to a Surefire $250 is awfully attractive.

Tj

I have an XL on my XD Sub. It's bright as hell and has held up to ~ 500 rounds or so with no noticible problem. Ergonomics are great, especially on the small gun, and battery life hasn't been an issue at all.

I also went with meprolight sights, bought through and installed by ajames for ~80 bucks. Love 'em, and ajames was a great guy to do business with.

Safety Features
Both offer similar trigger safeties. The Glock uses a visual aid to indicate a round is chambered and the XD uses a raised lip which is both visual and by touch. This may be an attractive feature to many buyers but to the always assume a round is chambered and always keep one chambered, it isn't that much of feature. Though not a purchase deciding factor I gave the nod to the XD on this feature. Another not a purchase feature for me was the weapon is cocked feature. This the XD wins hands down with it's very visable painted pin that protrudes out the back of the slide for both a very visiable indicator and by touch. Both the round chambered and cock indicator as features have their limitations since neither gun has a hammer. When it came down to it the only safety feature that was clearly different and an advantage was the handgrip safety of the XD which the Glock didn't have an equivalent. This safety prevents trigger pull unless the handguard is gripped.

I didn't think the loaded chamber indicator would be something I'd get use from, but I attended a pretty fast paced handgunning course a few weeks ago. Lots of manipulation, reloads and topping off of mags between strings of fire going on. After finding myself with an unexpectedly empty chamber a couple of times (), I got in the habit of sticking my finger in across the top of the holstered weapon to feel for the raised 'loaded chamber' indicator on a regular basis. It isn't a huge thing, but it's a nice little thing.

Link Posted: 8/22/2005 6:33:44 PM EDT
[#20]
I was faced with this decision recently as well. I ended up buying a Kimber ultra carry II. Which was a mistake. I traded it in and got a Glock 19 today.

Yes Springfield will refinish your slide if the finish wears/rusts off. I haven't heard of many glocks having a rusting problem of any kind. So Glocks wins there.

I honestly like the Glock grip angle. I always have.

XD feels like a cheap croation made gun to me. Thats what turned me off. I thought it felt nasty.

Glock has been around for a long time. Reliable and can take abuse with the best of them.

Glock is definetly easier to break down. Hands down.

I really like the feel of a glock. I love mine already.
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 9:16:31 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
I honestly like the Glock grip angle. I always have.

I really like the feel of a glock. I love mine already.

Then the correct pistol for you is the Glock. Glocks are great guns. They are/were innovative when they arrived. However, their grip angle is not for everyone(such as peculiar people as I am with funny bone structures that cannot securely grasp the Glock to prevent FTE's). The 1911 grip angle 'werks' for me.

If the Glock grip angle werks for you, please enjoy your Glock and am looking forward to competing against you in a 3 gun/IDPA match. I'll offer to buy the first beer.

wganz

Link Posted: 8/23/2005 1:59:26 AM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 3:55:38 AM EDT
[#23]
I used to hang around in the Springfield forum. A decent number of guys have to send their XD's back. Because they rust. Supposedly it doesn't take long for a XD to rust if it gets any kind of moisture on it.

Link Posted: 8/23/2005 4:08:25 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
I used to hang around in the Springfield forum. A decent number of guys have to send their XD's back. Because they rust. Supposedly it doesn't take long for a XD to rust if it gets any kind of moisture on it.

Rust Poll on XD Talk...
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 5:19:43 PM EDT
[#25]
My buddy has rust issues with his, but I still think XD's are nice pistols, especially for people who want something Glock-like but without the steep grip angle.  I had a 226 that was a rust magnet too; it was also a great pistol.  Take proper care of it, and you shouldn't have to worry about corrosion.

(That being said, I'm a Glock guy)
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 3:44:35 AM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 6:11:02 AM EDT
[#27]
A lot of people bash the XD because its Croation. They used to sell the XD as the HK2000 or whatever. Had trouble selling them for $250 I heard. Then Springfield started marketing them. Now they are the greatest thing since Glocks

I have never shot one...I hated the way it felt so I didn't get one.

If I was you I would just go to a shop and at least play with an XD and a glock side by side.

BTW the Glock will probably be easier to conceal. Because it is slightly more narrow and smaller overall.
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 9:57:05 AM EDT
[#28]
I think highly of Glocks.  That being said, I wish they had the added backstrap safety that the XD has.  To me it makes the XD more desireable.
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 10:56:33 AM EDT
[#29]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top