Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/20/2005 5:48:46 AM EDT
Hi!

My safe is a mess and it's time to 'spruce' it up a tad.    I have handguns just layin on the shelves. I have one of the large liberty safes.  I've seen racks, & holsters for the door.

So what method do you use?  pics?

Travis

Link Posted: 8/20/2005 7:40:50 AM EDT
[#1]
I use the pistol racks from Brownells to store my handguns.
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 7:51:51 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
I use the pistol racks from Brownells to store my handguns.

Do you have a part number for it?

A few weeks ago I called Brownells for my boss to buy a few things, and when I asked about pistol racks, they tried to sell me a firing pin.  I gave-up and called back later.  The woman I talked to again insisted that a pistol rack was a firing pin.  I thought that was crazy until I just went to their web site after reading your post, did a search for "pistol rack," and it returned a list of firing pins.z
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 8:06:18 AM EDT
[#3]
Is the inside of the door carpeted?  I use those velcro 'holsters' that attach to the carpeting.  Is it awesome.   You would think they are flinsy but I have a 6" revolver and full-sized semi-autos that won't budge.  You can keep all your pistols on the inside of the door.  Very convenient.

I found this picture to give you a better idea.  The holsters I have use velcro to attach it to the inner door.
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 8:10:19 AM EDT
[#4]
I have a gun rug for each gun, keep the rug unzipped part way, then just let the gun rugs lean against each other like books on a library shelf.  I then alphabetize my guns by manufacturer and subsort by caliber !  sounds anal but when they're in gun rugs you can't see them.  When going to the range I just grab a pistol or 2 or 3 gun rug and all and I'm good to go!
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 8:13:28 AM EDT
[#5]
I use a rack, and I think I'm going to go to the "gun rug" school of orginization though...

I have a small safe (Sentry 10 gun) and I just don't have enough room as it is... I need to better utilize my space.  PLUS, there are some really nice gun rugs out there that I need an excuse to purchase!  

ETA:  Pic shows the poor use of space...

Link Posted: 8/20/2005 8:23:25 AM EDT
[#6]
Wouldn't the gun rug hold moisture?

Nationwide, Is that rack from Cabelas?
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 8:29:30 AM EDT
[#7]

Tagged for ideas.

Link Posted: 8/20/2005 8:30:00 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Nationwide, Is that rack from Cabelas?

1) Yes, but only if there is moisture present to begin with

2) Yes, and so it the 4 gun model I have as well... both will be on the EE later...
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 8:43:13 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Is the inside of the door carpeted?  I use those velcro 'holsters' that attach to the carpeting.  Is it awesome.   You would think they are flinsy but I have a 6" revolver and full-sized semi-autos that won't budge.  You can keep all your pistols on the inside of the door.  Very convenient.

mypeoplepc.com/members/idsman75/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderpictures/gunsafepics.jpg

I found this picture to give you a better idea.  The holsters I have use velcro to attach it to the inner door.

C-4 - where is the best place to get these?  interesting
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 3:07:47 PM EDT
[#10]
I use the shelves that came in my safe and also bought a six gun rack from Cabela's. I like the rack.  When I expand and buy a bigger safe, I'm going to get more racks.  
I must say, I do like the idea of mounting your knives on the door!  That is a good idea!!!
I'll have to drink one for you on that one....
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 3:12:15 PM EDT
[#11]
Pegboard on the door.  

Before that, a dish drying rack that is more or less just like the pistol racks previously mentioned, except costing 80% less.   Something like below, except this looks bigger:

Link Posted: 8/20/2005 7:06:24 PM EDT
[#12]
Those wire gun racks are nice, but pricey.

I use vertical paper dividers I got at an office surplus sale, you can get plastic or metal ones.
I can fit 10 guns across the top of my safe, with mags stored behind each gun in it's slot.

Link Posted: 8/20/2005 7:15:03 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

I bought a Fort Knox safe and the 'holsters' came with it.  But I know you can buy them separately.

This is what it looks like:

www.ftknox.com/redesign/accessories/index.htm#Door%20Holster

Give them a call.  It's real slick.  ETA:  The holsters stick to the carpeting.  At the gun store where I bought the safe, the guy put a huge pistol into one of the holsters and slammed the door shut and the pistol did not come off.  It's just another way to skin a cat.  Others have posted great ideas but this has worked for me.
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 7:15:37 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Like nationwide said, if it's there to begin with, plus I keep desicant in the safe and keep the gun rugs partially unzipped
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 7:19:13 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I bought a Fort Knox safe and the 'holsters' came with it.  But I know you can buy them separately.

This is what it looks like:

www.ftknox.com/images/Accessories/Door%20Pistal%20Rack3.gif

www.ftknox.com/redesign/accessories/index.htm#Door%20Holster

Give them a call.  It's real slick.  ETA:  The holsters stick to the carpeting.  At the gun store where I bought the safe, the guy put a huge pistol into one of the holsters and slammed the door shut and the pistol did not come off.  It's just another way to skin a cat.  Others have posted great ideas but this has worked for me.

Thanks!  I love all the suggestions.  I have my pride and joy coming back from Bill Adairs resotoration on Tuesday.  A 1932 Commercial COlt 1911.  I need to have a nice cushy spot for her!
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 7:25:19 PM EDT
[#16]
All but one handgun in my safe is in the factory box or a gun rug.

Link Posted: 8/21/2005 2:49:17 PM EDT
[#17]
Like I said, the library book/gun rug method:

Note opened gun rugs and random dessicant
Link Posted: 8/21/2005 8:11:33 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
I use a rack, and I think I'm going to go to the "gun rug" school of orginization though...

I have a small safe (Sentry 10 gun) and I just don't have enough room as it is... I need to better utilize my space.  PLUS, there are some really nice gun rugs out there that I need an excuse to purchase!  

ETA:  Pic shows the poor use of space...

img.photobucket.com/albums/v603/nationwide/guns/pistol_rack.jpg

I have the same safe and it works well!

I added two wire racks below the two normal racks to hold ammo, mags and handguns.   I have other small pistol safes in other areas of the house.
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 11:33:34 AM EDT
[#19]
For my door, I devised a rack that uses dowels... the gun's placed on the rack by inserting the dowel in the barrel.    

For my shelves, I use those Sack-Ups (gun socks) and stack them next to each other like books on a shelf.  The Sack-Ups are much less bulky than the gun rugs, while keeping the guns from scratching each other.  When it's range time, I toss the sacked pistols into my range bag.

The nice thing about this method is that even if you run short of gun socks, you can still place a naked pistol between two that are wearing socks.
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 11:57:03 AM EDT
[#20]
I use a small dish rack coated in white rubber that I paid $4.00 for but it is not as heavy duty as the one shown erlier made for pistols and takes a little tweaking.
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 12:02:59 PM EDT
[#21]
I was a cheap-ass.  I bought a couple rubber-covered wire plate racks at walmart.

Link Posted: 8/22/2005 12:13:38 PM EDT
[#22]
I've always used gun rugs and never had a rust problem.  I oil the hand gun well before putting it inside the gun rug.  

I lock the gun rugs inside the safe.  

Colt_SBR  
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 12:24:41 PM EDT
[#23]
I just set them all side by side on thier slides no racks, no rugs. I ain't that fussy
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 2:03:10 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:

mypeoplepc.com/members/idsman75/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderpictures/gunsafepics.jpg

MidwayUSA sells some special veltro strips by Browning that do the same thing but are more versatile.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top