Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/19/2005 10:34:08 AM EDT
I've been getting the runaround on this issue, and really can't get a consistant answer, even out of the Colorado State Patrol, my local PD, and the county Sheriff...so...I'm asking here.

What are, or where can I find, the laws regarding handgun transportation for individuals between the ages of 18 and 20?  I had one sheriff tell me that an 18-20 year old can legally own a handgun, however, they cannot transport it.  I had a State Patrol Officer just tell me that you can transport it as long as it is to or from a range.  I've had shooting range employees tell me everything in between...

Everything that I can find online for Colorado law mentions nothing whatsoever as far as age limits when transporting a firearm.  I'm inclined to believe the State Patrol officer who said the weapon can be transported as long as it's not loaded or concealed, but I'd prefer not to get in a sticky situation if I can avoid it...

Anywho, thanks a lot for the help.
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 11:18:12 AM EDT
[#1]
I can tell you that you're clear on federal law, i'll look at colorado law and tell you what i think

after review: Looks like your fine on colorado law too.

18-12-204. Permit Contents - Validity - Carrying Requirements.

(3) (a) a person who may lawfully possess a handgun may carry a handgun under the following circumstances without obtaining a permit and the handgun shall not be considered concealed:

(I) the handgun is in the possession of a person who is in a private automobile or in some other private means of conveyance and who carries the handgun for a legal use, including self-defense.

The sheriff did say you can lawfully possess a handgun.  Looks like you can carry it loaded in your car for self defense (though i'd avoid denver).  There should be no problem unloaded in your trunk.
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 5:44:57 AM EDT
[#2]
Just curious, where did you get that info?  I'm sort of in the same boat (meaning I don't know, but take it with me anyway) and would like to see all the statutes for my area.

I've heard different things from different people.  The cops were actually pretty helpful... state troopers just essentially told me to go ask the cops, heh.  Unfortunately, I'm still pretty fuzzy on it.  The guy who answered our questions gave the impression that, "officially", it might be alright to simply own one, or maybe have it "in your possession".  However, concealed carry or having it loaded, EVER, are big no-nos.

Also, kinda unrelated, but does anyone know the details of "duty to retreat" laws?  I think we got one in AK, seeing as how the cops said that citizens have one.  Didn't say there was a law saying so, though.

Goddamn I hate litigation.
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 9:34:27 AM EDT
[#3]
www.packing.org
Link Posted: 8/21/2005 1:23:51 AM EDT
[#4]
packing.org is good and google if you know how to search.

Duty to retreat laws vary, but generally they can be overcome simply by having a good lawyer.  If you feel you can safely run away, you should, regardless of the law.  If you feel you can not safely run away, and therefore legitimately act in your own defense, you have satisfied most states duty to retreat.  Being judged based on your feelings at the time of the incident makes it easy for a good lawyer to defend you if it goes to court.  Generally if you satisfied imminent danger the duty to retreat is nullified.
Link Posted: 8/21/2005 5:55:27 PM EDT
[#5]

After a little researching, here is the link read it for yourself.

Colorado State Code on-line

http://198.187.128.12/colorado/lpext.dll?f=templates&fn=fs-main.htm&2.0

NRA's website for state gun laws.

http://www.nraila.org/GunLaws/StateLaws.aspx?ST=CO

Looks like you are good to go. Next thing you need to do is check the municipality code.
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 9:42:40 PM EDT
[#6]
Great info.  Thank you, sirs.  I took my weapon to the range with me last weekend to get my CCW class out of the way while I still have lots of free time in the summer.  Now all I've got to do is file the paperwork and wait!

Damn I love how helpful everyone is on this forum...
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top