Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/18/2002 5:48:13 PM EDT
On vacation I found a used SIG 220 in 9mm with a heel release. What is this gun? I though that 220's only came in 45 and a few in 38 super.
Link Posted: 8/18/2002 8:07:55 PM EDT
[#1]
The P220 was originally a 9mm.  It was made into a .45 for the American market. The .38 Super followed after that.  The push button mag release was later as well.  The first P220s in the US were imported by Browning under the "BDA" moniker (which they have used on other guns to just cause more confusion it seems).  They were as you describe (heel mag release) and available in 9mm or .45ACP.  I had a .45 BDA and it shot fine, but it would have gotten me killed.  I kept trying to hit the non-existant mag release (I had a newer P220 at the same time) and I ditched it soon after.  Some guns I have no problem transitioning to a heel release, but the Sigs are difficult for me as all of the other ones I own, except for that BDA, have American style releases and I can't handle it.

Anyway, most of the P220s in the world are actually 9mm.  They have been adopted by several nations as their standard pistol, and are licensed produced in several of those countries.  All of these are 9mm.  While the P220 .45ACP is the most prevelent in the US, remember that the US civillian market is about the only one that's viable for the .45.

Ross
Link Posted: 8/18/2002 8:53:49 PM EDT
[#2]
There are "new" P220's being advertsied in 9mm by one of the wholesalers in Shotgun News.  If I recall, about $550

A seller also has one on Gun Broker.  I thought about getting one... but....    OH, they're the US mag release, button, not heel.

I have a P220 in 38 Super.  Two.  Love them (other is unshot).
Link Posted: 8/19/2002 2:25:07 AM EDT
[#3]
The 220 9mm were being sold in Canada a few months ago and quite a few people bought them. It's a nice combination.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top