Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/16/2005 8:58:44 PM EDT
Don't ask me what I need it for. I don't. It's probably going to be about as practical as my Desert Eagle .50ae, but I thought I would ask for opinions from anyone that owns or has shot one. Any info. would be appreciated.
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 9:07:25 PM EDT
[#1]
I am interested in learning what people have to say as well I find myself desiring an 8" 500. Pride of ownership and the occasional trip to the range or my backyard would be about the only reasons I could honestly come up with to defend my purchase.

Gunzer Great
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 1:37:18 AM EDT
[#2]
Why ask us, if you're only interested in the gun from a non-practical standpoint?

Sounds like you want one, have no use but for fun and to have it.

So, go buy one and enjoy it! It's a S&W revolver, it's not like anyone's gonna pop up and tell you it's cheap or unreliable.

Link Posted: 8/17/2005 1:39:09 AM EDT
[#3]
My local gun store has a 2 inch .460  Makes my arms hurt looking at it.
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 2:23:00 AM EDT
[#4]
I shot a 4" 500 with CorBon 350gr and 440gr rounds.  I wasn't as bad as I thought is was going to be.  
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 1:46:35 PM EDT
[#5]
Great firearm. I have the 8  and the 4. The (actually3") kicks less than the 8 3/8, thanks to the 3 sided compensator .
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 7:27:56 PM EDT
[#6]
Dusty,

.460 in a shorter length?  I checked out S&W website (curious about it cause I want one) and only saw the 8ish inch ones.  Did it come factory, or did a local 'smith cut down the barrel?
Link Posted: 8/21/2005 5:51:44 PM EDT
[#7]
I think it is a cool weapon. I wouldnt mind having one for home defense or concealed carry in the car or even hunting. Just get the right ammo for each use. They are making a fair variety of ammo for the 500 right now and its only going to get better.
Link Posted: 8/21/2005 6:08:48 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Dusty,

460 in a shorter length?  I checked out S&W website (curious about it cause I want one) and only saw the 8ish inch ones.  Did it come factory, or did a local 'smith cut down the barrel?

There is no short S&W .460 ..... Yet .

What it probably was , was the Ruger Alaskan in .480 .

I'm waiting for the 4" .460 . I doubt it will be too long before
it's available since it's basically the same as the 4” X frame .500
which is available . Then you can shoot 45 long colt for plinking
.454 for medium work and the .460 just because you can
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top