Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/14/2005 6:25:35 PM EDT
I think so.

I was distinctly influenced during the AWB by thinking "If I'm stuck with just 10 rounds, why go with 10 rounds of a small caliber in a mag still almost half empty.  Fill the grip with a larger round to compensate."

I find now that I can buy 15-17 round magazines for under $20 again, my mind is fixed firm on a G-17 or SIG-226 as my next purchase, purely because I'd like to have a gun with cheap 15-17 round mags again.
Link Posted: 8/14/2005 6:52:23 PM EDT
[#1]
I think you answered your own question.

Since magazines were limited to 10 rounds, and since you can stack a whole pile of 9mm cartridges in magazines once again easily available, the same size of which hold fewer of the larger caliber rounds, I think 9mm is seeing a resurgence in popularity.

I guess people figured, back during the ban, that if you were carrying fewer rounds, you might as well make them big ones (.40, .45, etc.). Now that magazine capacity is a dead issue, I do believe that 16 or more rounds of 9mm would make all but the most rigid Cooper apostle simply giddy with delight (me included)!

Not to mention the fact that the 9mm is the most commonly encountered handgun cartridge in the world, it's cheap to shoot so you can shoot more, it's accurate and with good marksmanship and any of the quality projectiles available today, just as effective as any other handgun caliber...
Link Posted: 8/14/2005 8:33:40 PM EDT
[#2]
Everyone seems to want a 9mm once again, at least from what I can tell at my local gunshop. Lots of 9s selling comprared to a couple of years ago. .40 is still s really close second though! .45 has dropped off a bit, but still has plenty of fans. And the magazine supply has almost gotten caught up, finally!

Link Posted: 8/15/2005 5:55:56 AM EDT
[#3]
Unfortunately.  Magazine capacity only matters to me when its a big difference.  For instance:  I will take my 13+1 Glock 21 over a 17+1 Glock 17 any day of the week, but I'd take the 17+1 9mm over a 7+1 45acp.  If I can't bring 'em down with 13+1 .45acp after all of my range time- then I deserve to die.  Period.
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 6:59:29 AM EDT
[#4]
CCW is the biggest reason 9mm has become more popular. With so many states now having a SHALL issue CCW many people are buying the smallest full power pistol they can carry. Which is, TA DAA, the 9mm. The .40 need more weight in the slide to work and last. Also ammo is pretty darn good anymore in 9mm, with quite a few excellent designs which work.

As far a .45 goes, I don't see it dropping off at all, in fact that market and especially 1911 design is the hottest part of the market and is where most of the R&D money seems to be spent. There has been some progress made on making a 3" 1911 more reliable then in the past and I hope it continues. I personally would not touch a "3 or so 1911 from 10 or 15 years ago because they had a BAD rep. Bought a new Colt LW SS defender and after more then  500 rounds it has been totally reliable.
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 7:18:24 AM EDT
[#5]
9mm's in this area are selling VERY well right now.  This being Vermont, you can legally hunt with ANY firearm that is not fully automatic, doesn't have a laser or light, and if a semi-auto rifle other than 22lr or 22short then it must be restricted to 6 rounds, and a handgun can be used anywhere a rifle can(without ammunition, capacity, or bore diameter restrictions).  Concealed carry is the right of anyone in Vermont who can legally carry a handgun.  So, legally I can carry any legal firearm concealed on any grounds(minus schools, court houses, police stations, etc.), and I can legally hunt black bear with a .22 short Derringer two shot pistol.  There are no reasons other than desire that make someone in my area purchase a 9mm, and yet they sell.
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 9:25:33 AM EDT
[#6]
I volunteer at a shooting range and so far this year I have seen more and more .45's at the range.  During my shift this past weekend for instance I bet 70 percent of the pistol shooters had .45's.
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 10:47:39 AM EDT
[#7]
No Fawties?
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 4:12:14 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
I volunteer at a shooting range and so far this year I have seen more and more .45's at the range.  During my shift this past weekend for instance I bet 70 percent of the pistol shooters had .45's.

I'm sure .45 may reign supreme in some isolated localities; where I am 9mm and .40 are most prevalent.

And no they ain't no DEA agents around!
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 9:08:36 AM EDT
[#9]
I'm a big fan, for the simple fact that of my 3 .45's and one 9mm, I shoot the 9mm much better.   This is directly related to the better sights one that particular gun and the fact that the ammo is so cheap.  Hell,  I pick up a 100rd box of ammo almost every time I go grocery shopping.  

A P226 to go with my P228 is coming soon, and lots of Mecgar 17rd mags as well.
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 10:39:54 AM EDT
[#10]
No, but that FiveseveN with the 20rd mags is looking mighty fine.
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 6:52:57 PM EDT
[#11]
I would say it is because there are many people that veiw a  pistol as a fighting weapon,and not as a secoundary side arm on thier belt!!

These people would never think of haveing a Fal,AR/15,AK in thier house,so this one gun needs max firepower!!!

So to many the good old Government Model with seven plus,and an M4 is all they really need!!!

It's all good because many will trade in really nice .45 autos just for this reason!!!

And we (lovers of the .45 auto)will jump all over them like Bobby Brown on Whitney!!!!!

bob
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 7:25:01 PM EDT
[#12]
Not just the 9mm has made a comeback but the 40 is right up there!  I picked up some 15 rounders for my 40 handgun and it is nice to have the extra lead.
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 9:24:31 PM EDT
[#13]
I think all hi-cap stuff has made a comeback.  I love buying Beretta factory mags for my 92 for under $20.  While driving home the other day I was pondering how much shit has been sold since Sep 13 of last year.  It brought a smile to my face.
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 11:14:37 AM EDT
[#14]
It sure has made the Glock 17 more desirable for me since I can use those mags in my Glock 19 as well. I have always likes the 9mm however when you remove the plus in capacity you remove one of the reasons for having a 9mm in my opinion. Not all of them just one of them. My wife does not like like my .45s which I prefer so I have a 9mm next to my bed and 17rds is better than 15 which is better than 10.
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 1:57:33 PM EDT
[#15]
Absolutely. I bought a CZ-75 and a factory 25rd mag for a house gun. My XD-9 carry gun holds 16 rounds. If I had to choose between eight rounds of 45 or 16 of 9mm I would take the 9mm any day.
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 2:46:12 PM EDT
[#16]
Not just the expiration of the ban, but modern hollowpoint loadings really step it up to being a formidable caliber.  I think if the modern 147gr loadings were available 10 years ago, the countries police would have never switched to .40
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top