Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/13/2005 1:58:41 PM EDT
The gun shop had three Styer handguns for sale. Two were 9mm and the other was .40.

The .40 was used but it was in very good shape for $279

I enjoy Steyr rifles, they are very well built. But have never shot a Steyr handgun.

What is the word? $280 bucks seems like a good price.

Thanks,

Chris

Link Posted: 8/13/2005 3:02:13 PM EDT
[#1]
I have a M 40, and find it to be an excellent value. Sights take some getting used to and it looks a bit odd at first (like the Glocks did to me back around 88', when I bought my first one of those).
It has ate everything I have fed it without a hiccup, and really loves Gold Dots. I would like to pick up the compact model in 9mm.
Link Posted: 8/13/2005 3:09:38 PM EDT
[#2]
I know a guy who's a lefty & bought one because of their controls. He likes it.

Personally, I've never shot one. Steyr clearly makes qualty guns so you shouldn't have any problems with it, IMO.
Link Posted: 8/13/2005 7:15:38 PM EDT
[#3]
They are a quality gun. Steyr had distribution 'issues' with the previous US distributor but has changed to another vendor. The sights(as previously noted) are strange at first and are not as 'accurate' as the traditional post¬ch arrangement, but they are very very fast to get a 'good enough' sight alignment for the all important first shot. Way faster than the traditional post & notch sight.

The downside is that the mags are outrageously expensive if you could even find them. Supposedly that has changed in the past year with this new distributor but I traded my Steyr 9mm in towards a Sig and don't know first hand.

wganz

Link Posted: 8/15/2005 12:43:14 AM EDT
[#4]
I like my M9 alot and once I get a 6280 for I'll carry it on duty. CDNN has hicaps in both flavors but they run like $30 for one mag
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 5:44:10 AM EDT
[#5]
tag
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 5:51:52 AM EDT
[#6]
Guy I shoot with regularly loves his Steyr 40 - but he says it's ammo sensitive.
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 7:17:59 PM EDT
[#7]
The Steyr M and S series (their first generation) are great guns....I'm the proud owner of 9 of them.  The latest generation, the A1 series are supposed to take a great thing and make it greater....adding a light rail and changing the grip profile of the M and S series.

Anyhow, what makes the M and S series great to me are the trapezoid/triangle sights (I wish Steyr made a night sight variant of these sights), the super-low bore axis leading to very little muzzle flip, manual safety and rock bottom price when CDNN was selling them.....CDNN only has the M9 in stock and those are going fast.

Here's a photo of my "custom" M40.  The plating was done by Accurate Plating & Weaponry in Palm Harbor, FL.

http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a47/srfl/Steyr/DSCN0063.jpg

For more Steyr info, go to the Steyr Club
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 2:54:37 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
The Steyr M and S series (their first generation) are great guns....I'm the proud owner of 9 of them.  The latest generation, the A1 series are supposed to take a great thing and make it greater....adding a light rail and changing the grip profile of the M and S series.

Anyhow, what makes the M and S series great to me are the trapezoid/triangle sights (I wish Steyr made a night sight variant of these sights), the super-low bore axis leading to very little muzzle flip, manual safety and rock bottom price when CDNN was selling them.....CDNN only has the M9 in stock and those are going fast.

Here's a photo of my "custom" M40.  The plating was done by Accurate Plating & Weaponry in Palm Harbor, FL.

i8.photobucket.com/albums/a47/srfl/Steyr/DSCN0063.jpg

For more Steyr info, go to the Steyr Club

Thats realy nice looking, it makes me want to get that done to mine
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 4:49:17 AM EDT
[#9]
My M40 was 98% reliable. My M357 was 100% reliable.
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 5:08:53 AM EDT
[#10]
i had both back in vegas, nice handguns.  i like the 9mm better.  i just couldnt control the 40, im such a pussy.  both excellent for the price!  trapezoid sights take some getting use to.  
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 2:26:42 PM EDT
[#11]
I had an S40 and I think they are great safe guns. I would personaly rather have the 9mm though. As cool looking as the triangle sights are I would rather have standard sights also but that is just a preference. They are fine guns.
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 5:05:07 PM EDT
[#12]
Is the M1Acurrently being imported?

Is there any source for the M1A?

Justin
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 7:57:58 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
I had an S40 and I think they are great safe guns. I would personaly rather have the 9mm though. As cool looking as the triangle sights are I would rather have standard sights also but that is just a preference. They are fine guns.

My M40, photo above, has standard (i.e., not trapezoid/triangle) night sights.  I found that the gun shoots low with those sights, while my other Steyr M and S series guns do not.

GK...did you get rid of your S40?  If you did, that's a shame, those S40's and the M357's were, I believe, the more rare Steyr variants of the series.  The S9 is a nice gun 'cause it recoils much less than the S40.

CitySlicker....yes the A1-series are selling in the US.....you can go to gunbroker.com and gunsamerica.com where they are sold....not sure about importers though.
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 8:44:50 PM EDT
[#14]
I got an M40 when they first came out and loved it - great sights when you get used to them, nice ergonomics, very accurate. Unfortunately it stopped working - light hits on primers. Did the usual, tried all kinds of different ammo, still no good. Shipped it back to Steyr under warranty and they said, "yeah, it's broke" and sent me a replacement pistol. That's service!

Except the exact same problem developed in the replacement. So I got rid of it.

/waits for the chorus to tell me it was "my fault"/

Link Posted: 8/25/2005 10:59:20 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
I got an M40 when they first came out and loved it - great sights when you get used to them, nice ergonomics, very accurate. Unfortunately it stopped working - light hits on primers. Did the usual, tried all kinds of different ammo, still no good. Shipped it back to Steyr under warranty and they said, "yeah, it's broke" and sent me a replacement pistol. That's service!

Except the exact same problem developed in the replacement. So I got rid of it.

/waits for the chorus to tell me it was "my fault"/

That's interesting.  After how many rounds did the problem surface?

Link Posted: 8/25/2005 8:32:37 PM EDT
[#16]
It developed within 200 rounds on both pistols. Bad luck?
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 7:19:24 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
It developed within 200 rounds on both pistols. Bad luck?

It could be a slew of things.

Perhaps it was a production issue (i.e., a bad lot)?  Were the two SN's colse together?

Or maybe it's a common issue with the .40 S&W variants?

Justin
Link Posted: 8/27/2005 9:59:13 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Justin

Yes.

http://www.impactguns.com/store/91390232.html

They have one one in stock also because I saw it whan I was their paying on a layaway.
Link Posted: 8/27/2005 6:48:48 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Justin

Yes.

http://www.impactguns.com/store/91390232.html

They have one one in stock also because I saw it whan I was their paying on a layaway.

Thanks.
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 12:45:05 PM EDT
[#20]
Does anyone make aftermarket sights or holsters
for these?
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 3:04:42 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
Does anyone make aftermarket sights or holsters
for these?

The only sight options are the standard trapezoid/triangle sights and night sights.  See this link  at USASteyr.

Different makers are fabricating holsters for the Steyrs.  See the Steyrclub.com holsters page

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top