Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/13/2005 1:47:58 PM EDT
I was looking and test firing a SIG P226 in .40 S&W with my friend "Death_005" because he was looking at getting a new pistol to go with his XD Tactical in OD Green. The gun was great but I was wondering why it isn't marked with the symbols that both my WWI Lugers have and my HK USP .40 S&W has? The marks look like a little Nazi Eagle, but I didn't see them on the SIG? Does that mean that they either are not proofed or are they made in USA? It said the gun was made in Germany if I recal correctly, but it also had some USA state stamped on it but I forget the state. Thanks the for input!

Link Posted: 8/13/2005 2:53:24 PM EDT
[#1]
my guess is it was built in the states, then.  my 226 is marked sigarms on the frame & slide, but says "frame made in germany".  my 232 has the german proof on the slide and frame.  probably only complete firearms built in germany need the proof mark.

interestingly, i think both my hk's only have the proof mark on the slide.
Link Posted: 8/13/2005 3:40:18 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
my guess is it was built in the states, then.  my 226 is marked sigarms on the frame & slide, but says "frame made in germany".  my 232 has the german proof on the slide and frame.  probably only complete firearms built in germany need the proof mark.

interestingly, i think both my hk's only have the proof mark on the slide.

Nah, all the USP's I have seen have it on the:
-Slide
-Locking Block Of Barrel
-Frame (At the end of the rail closest to the grip)

I don't have the time to look at my Lugers too, but I could if you reeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaaaaalllllllllllllyyyyyyyyy want me to.
Link Posted: 8/13/2005 4:34:10 PM EDT
[#3]
I guess the nazi eagle isn't as popular as it once was lol.

But from a manufacturing stand point I suppose it's like  iroc409 said. I'll check my Sig mosquito I do remember seeing many different marking on it. I think it was imported directry through the EAA. Because the gehy bastards screwed me out of a mag
Link Posted: 8/13/2005 4:48:13 PM EDT
[#4]
Because they were not built and proofed in Germany.  
And it's not a "nazi eagle" its the German proof house mark.
Link Posted: 8/13/2005 6:33:21 PM EDT
[#5]
That is the German federal eagle or Bundesadler. It's not a nazi symbol, it predates Nazism by a long long time.
Link Posted: 8/13/2005 7:01:25 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
That is the German federal eagle or Bundesadler. It's not a nazi symbol, it predates Nazism by a long long time.

Of course I know it predates the German WWII Nazis because it is on my German WWI Lugers, circa 1914 and 1917.
Link Posted: 8/13/2005 7:04:27 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Of course I know it predates the German WWII Nazis because it is on my German WWI Lugers, circa 1914 and 1917.

So its a Kaiser symbol.....those damned dirty Kaisers.....
Link Posted: 8/14/2005 9:09:02 AM EDT
[#8]
Probably an American made slide and barrel and a German made frame.  
Link Posted: 8/14/2005 11:01:01 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Because they were not built and proofed in Germany.  
And it's not a "nazi eagle" its the German proof house mark.

...was a small joke....
Link Posted: 8/14/2005 7:13:18 PM EDT
[#10]
It is made in MD not Germany.  (assembled at least)   All the German made pistols have one of several proof marks (Eagle, Oak leaf)  My 225 was made in Germany and had them but my 226 in 40 did not being made in MD.  

No biggie though, my 226 was great.
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 3:24:59 PM EDT
[#11]
But they make the BEST bread rolls. To die for dhaaarling..........

Quoted:

Link Posted: 8/16/2005 5:38:50 PM EDT
[#12]
As stated above, the older pistols assembled entirely in Germany are proofed as per German law.  Pistols assembled in the US are not proofed.  There is really no appreciable difference in quality between the two.
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 5:40:41 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
But they make the BEST bread rolls. To die for dhaaarling..........

Quoted:

Dirty, rotten, goose steppin Kaiser bastards ........
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 5:48:23 PM EDT
[#14]
I have the opposite issue with a gun I own.  It's a Springfield 1911-A1 in 9mm and it DOES have German proof house markings.  

Woody
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 6:19:29 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
It is made in MD not Germany.  (assembled at least)   All the German made pistols have one of several proof marks (Eagle, Oak leaf)  My 225 was made in Germany and had them but my 226 in 40 did not being made in MD.  

No biggie though, my 226 was great.

I thought Sig's American factory was in the Northeast. Like Conn. or something.
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 6:41:49 PM EDT
[#16]
They are not old enough!!!!  

Bob
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 6:17:38 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
They are not old enough!!!!  

Bob

It's wierd not seeing 'Made in W. Germany' on the Sigs anymore.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top