Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 8/12/2005 7:41:19 PM EDT
OK, I'm absolutely positive no one has asked the Glock vs. 1911 question before, so I feel honored to be the first.

I'm in the market for a new general purpose handgun. Functions will be (in order of importance):
(1) Home defense
(2) Range gun
(3) Hiking/camping sidearm
(4) Occasional CCW

I had my heart set on a Colt Combat Commander, but after carrying my Ithaca 1911A1 for a while, I rethought the whole steel frame 1911 idea. Just too damn heavy for CCW and hiking in the kind of mountains Oregon grows. I've heard aluminum frames crack--I'll be shooting this thing a lot, so I need something that will last.

I've come to the reluctant conclusion that a Glock 19 might be my best bet. Can anyone give me a good reason why I should buy a 1911 instead? I like 1911s. They have character. Glocks don't. But why buy a 1911 that's a lot heavier, more expensive to shoot, probably less reliable, and has a lower mag capacity than a Glock? Is there a good reason I should go with the Colt instead of the Glock? Please convince me.

And no, I can't afford both. And no, I don't want a Kimber. Had one. It was a jam-o-matic POS. No more Kimbers for this cowboy. And I have owned a Glock before. I liked my Glock 21, but it was just too big for my purposes.
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 7:44:42 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 8:46:47 PM EDT
[#2]
Springfield G.I 1911.

'nuff said :) They are reliable, and accurate enough.
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 8:50:50 PM EDT
[#3]
The Glock 19 really is a do-it-all weapon. You wont go wrong with one.
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 9:03:51 PM EDT
[#4]
My pesonal pref is.
(1) Home defense Glock or 1911
(2) Range gun 1911
(3) Hiking/camping sidearm Glock
(4) Occasional CCW Glock
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 9:11:19 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
My pesonal pref is.
(1) Home defense Glock or 1911
(2) Range gun 1911
(3) Hiking/camping sidearm Glock
(4) Occasional CCW Glock

Pretty much the conclusion I came to. Glock 19 was the logical choice when weighting these four factors. I'm reluctant because (A) I really like 1911s and already have lots of ammo, mags, and spare parts, and (B) I'd prefer to buy an American-made and designed handgun. But logic must prevail over "feelings."

As for the Springfield GI, I've heard it's a fine weapon, but if I wanted to go with a 5" 1911A1, I'd stick with my Ithaca. Damn fine handgun. Just doesn't fit my needs.
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 9:24:32 PM EDT
[#6]
the midsize Glocks are fine pistols, I carry a Glock 23 every day(basically a .40 cal glock 19) it carries well, and I use it as my 3 gun match pistol.  also, with +2 extensions having 15 rounds of .40 on tap is nice as well.  

and yes, I also own a 1911
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 9:34:56 PM EDT
[#7]
Yeah, You might be better suited with the glock but I am one of the weird ones who likes 1911s and AK's.

Link Posted: 8/12/2005 9:42:36 PM EDT
[#8]
Getch yerself a Glock 1911
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 9:48:24 PM EDT
[#9]
G19 for home, range, or for CCW, forget about the 1911
Or get both, maybe a 26 or 27, i have a 19 and a 27 and love them both
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 10:00:45 PM EDT
[#10]
Get the glock.  I have both and the glock has only jammed once, due to an extruded primer so totally not the glocks fault.

I cant say the same for my 1911, stovepipes aren't as infrequent as one would desire.  I'm sure this could be fixed with some extractor work, but seriously for an out of the box do it all weapon.  The glocks got my vote!

But I don't know much that's more intimidating than a big o'l piece of iron like the 1911
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 10:03:10 PM EDT
[#11]
GLOCK!
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 11:47:24 PM EDT
[#12]
BOTH!

1911 over glock, just barely b/c 1911s are classical American firearms that will work just as well

Link Posted: 8/12/2005 11:59:16 PM EDT
[#13]
1911. Both are good for HD, but you will probably have more fun with the 1911 at the range (I do anyways).  Since you won't be carrying it very often, I the think the range fun outweighs the weight.
Link Posted: 8/13/2005 12:31:59 AM EDT
[#14]
Glock 21
.45ACP
nuff said.

Link Posted: 8/13/2005 12:57:04 AM EDT
[#15]
The glock is the way to go, a model 23 or a 19.  They are half the price, they are easier to clean, they are more reliable, they have higher capacity, they much greater longevity, I mean I know they look like a power drill, but they are far superior to the 1911 design.  The 1911s are good looking and if you get one that runs good make a great weapon, but the design just dosen't stand up to more modern designs.  That said they (1911s) are very popular and people still swear by them.
Link Posted: 8/13/2005 1:40:48 AM EDT
[#16]
Hmm 1911 vs glock and a 9mm vs 45 all in the same thread.

I hike around all the time, my full size govt model works fine for me.  I've also got a stainless commander, never cared much for the smaller pistol.    Reliability?   I'll take my 1911 over any glock any day.  

It's kind of out of the originial discussion area but for a hiking gun it's awfully hard to beat a 2" SP101 in .357, it'll last forever and can stand some seriously nasty loads.  

Springfield makes a stubby little GI model that's about officer's acp sized with a steel frame.   I just saw one the other day, nice little gun AND it's a .45

Btw if you get it and dont like it you can always sell it to me at a steep discount
Link Posted: 8/13/2005 2:04:26 AM EDT
[#17]
I have both1911s and glocks but why are you compairing a .45 to 9mm? unless the 1911 you were talking about was 9mm, for home defense I would not choose a G19, I just cant stand 9mm for a selfedefense gun.
You would be better served with a G23 or G30 and dont forget G21, These are what I use for defense guns.
The G23 is the perfect size carry with high cap to boot and 40cal is a great defense load.
Lastly let me add I love .45
Link Posted: 8/13/2005 2:06:18 AM EDT
[#18]
uggghhh  40
Link Posted: 8/13/2005 4:25:16 AM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 8/13/2005 5:07:57 AM EDT
[#20]
I have a G21 that I barely shoot anymore, I think I either broke or fractured my thumb joint so it hurt like hell to shoot the G21 period.
I recently bought a kimber warrior 1911, then a springfield loaded 1911 and have never looked back.

The only glock i would consider buying now is a G36, I like the slim line version.

For a ccw you should carry anything in a .45acp idealy, but only if you shoot well with it.

besides you  can always get a .22 conversion for a 1911, or even a .17mach2 conversion these days.
Link Posted: 8/13/2005 6:16:58 AM EDT
[#21]
 Both are good guns. You need to shoot both to see which one you are better with. I have several friends who shoot high consistantly with a glock no matter what they do. Has to do with the grip angle. I don't like glocks for CCW but some do. I like a safety myself. You HAVE to have a correct holster or keep it chamber empty. I would not think to put a loaded [one in the pipe] glock in a backpack, or ditty bag unless it was in a correct holster also.

Glocks are reliable nice TOOLS, but they are not the 100% always shoot guns that some claim them to be. 1911s are only as good as they are machined. Some are good some are pieces of crap. You do have a bigger availability of ammo to shoot with a 1911 as you can shoot lead bullets. With a Glock that is a No No, unless you change the BBL. Some do but..........kabooms are not a myth.

Try both, either one is not a poor choice but I like 1911s better especially for home defense, chamber empty on a nightstand is the only way i'd use a glock for that.
Link Posted: 8/13/2005 7:10:43 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
 Both are good guns. You need to shoot both to see which one you are better with. I have several friends who shoot high consistantly with a glock no matter what they do. Has to do with the grip angle. I don't like glocks for CCW but some do. I like a safety myself. You HAVE to have a correct holster or keep it chamber empty. I would not think to put a loaded [one in the pipe] glock in a backpack, or ditty bag unless it was in a correct holster also.

Glocks are reliable nice TOOLS, but they are not the 100% always shoot guns that some claim them to be. 1911s are only as good as they are machined. Some are good some are pieces of crap. You do have a bigger availability of ammo to shoot with a 1911 as you can shoot lead bullets. With a Glock that is a No No, unless you change the BBL. Some do but..........kabooms are not a myth.

Try both, either one is not a poor choice but I like 1911s better especially for home defense, chamber empty on a nightstand is the only way i'd use a glock for that.

Please quit using facts and reason, this is the internet
Link Posted: 8/13/2005 8:00:17 AM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 8/13/2005 8:08:36 AM EDT
[#24]
That's just dumb, a revolver DA pull requires MUCH more pressure than a glock.  

Glockies think their gun is perfect, I'll admit 1911 guys think so too.  ( but we're right!)
Link Posted: 8/13/2005 8:35:05 AM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 8/13/2005 9:01:06 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

fxntime, you make good points. But I don't shoot lead bullets (except in my S&W Model 60), and the Glock's lack of an external safety doesn't bother me. I kept my unholstered Glock 21 on the nightstand for years with no worries. That said, I definitely prefer the 1911's thumb and grip safeties.

I have owned two 1911s and a Glock, and I'll admit that I shot the 1911s better. But with more practice I think I could have shot the Glock just as well. The whole point of this exercise is to purchase a general-purpose gun that I will practice with all the time. I've found switching back and forth between all my guns makes me somewhat proficient with all of them, but expert with none of them.

As for the .45 vs. 9mm question some have brought up, it's a non-issue as far as I'm concerned. I used to think .45 was the only way to go, but I've changed my thinking on that subject. 9mm may not kill bad guys as dead as .45, but it still kills them pretty dead.
Link Posted: 8/13/2005 9:24:10 AM EDT
[#27]
CZ P-01.  They're terrific.
Link Posted: 8/13/2005 9:29:26 AM EDT
[#28]
Didn't some boys down south hold a 1000 round Glock Versus 1911 match?  

IIRC the outcome was very one-sided (to the winners shooting the dratic plastic).
Link Posted: 8/13/2005 9:35:37 AM EDT
[#29]
I own two Glock 19s and one Colt 1911. Hands down, I prefer the Colt 1911. To me, no other pistol compartes to the ergonomics and handling of the 1911.
Link Posted: 8/13/2005 10:19:44 AM EDT
[#30]
Combine the best aspects of both guns...and you get the USP.

So...get a USP :)
Link Posted: 8/13/2005 10:38:11 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Link Posted: 8/13/2005 12:33:00 PM EDT
[#32]
I like the 1911 (yeah, I have a 5" alum. frame Kimber, and it works great) for a house & range gun, sometimes CCW.  For more of an all around "beater" / CCW / backpacking, I got a G38.  I liked the size of the G19, but wanted a .45.   I've been very happy with it.  BTW, you can get decent priced ammo, contrary to popular BS...  

ETA:  Using a Comptac CTAC holster, and have been happy with that as well...
Link Posted: 8/13/2005 12:37:58 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Are you frightened of revolvers too?  

Yup, if I cocked a SAA and left it on the nightstand then tried grabbing for it in the dark, i'd be scared shitless I would accidentaly hit the trigger while getting it. Glocks might be a bit heavier but I can see it happening. I also think if the proper retention device is used they are great guns, but Mexican carry, Pocket carry, or cheapass holster carry is asking for trouble. I would bet PDs cover up a crapload of ADs with them. [And yes, improper proceedures cause NGs not ADs.]  
Notice all the dumb schmucks with the Glock FOTEEEs having problems, course those idiots could not figure out how to use a safety  probably. I laugh at all the C & L detractors, all the while they are carrying a C & UL Glock. duh.
Link Posted: 8/13/2005 3:19:41 PM EDT
[#34]
I have a bunch of 1911s and a bunch of Glocks.

For your use I would recommend a Kimber Tactical Custom first, a Glock 19 second.

The Kimber Tactical Custom will be more fun at the range, still be light enough to carry either hiking or CCW, and will be a good home defense gun.

The Glock 19 would be my runner-up. It's my do-everything gun. It's just not as much fun at the range -- harder to shoot accurately than a 1911, and not as much style. :)
Link Posted: 8/13/2005 8:13:57 PM EDT
[#35]
You asked:

"Is there a good reason I should go with the Colt instead of the Glock[19]? Please convince me."

Answer:

Lethality.

Elaboration:

Without going into details about what I do for a living, let me just say that I recently was dealing with an incident involving a guy that was shot six times in the back by another man.  The shooter had a Glock 26 with alternating rounds in the mag (winchester white box and speer gold dot).  The distance was about 10-20 feet.

Bottom line is this: the victim lived.  While it is true that better shot placement might have resulted in a fatality, the results speak for themselves.  The 45acp has proven to be a more effective killing rounds, all other things being equal.

I carry a Wilson Combat CQB in a Milt Sparks VMII.  However, when my clothing does not allow for that, then I have no choice but to carry a compromise gun (Kahr PM9 or KelTec 32).  However, when I can, I carry the 1911.
Link Posted: 8/13/2005 10:22:11 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:
You asked:

"Is there a good reason I should go with the Colt instead of the Glock[19]? Please convince me."

Answer:

Lethality.

Elaboration:

Without going into details about what I do for a living, let me just say that I recently was dealing with an incident involving a guy that was shot six times in the back by another man.  The shooter had a Glock 26 with alternating rounds in the mag (winchester white box and speer gold dot).  The distance was about 10-20 feet.

Bottom line is this: the victim lived.  While it is true that better shot placement might have resulted in a fatality, the results speak for themselves.  The 45acp has proven to be a more effective killing rounds, all other things being equal.

I carry a Wilson Combat CQB in a Milt Sparks VMII.  However, when my clothing does not allow for that, then I have no choice but to carry a compromise gun (Kahr PM9 or KelTec 32).  However, when I can, I carry the 1911.

Point taken. Though I said earlier that I'm not worried about the 9mm vs. .45 debate, I will admit that all things being equal, I'd rather have the bigger bullet.

There have been some good arguments in favor of the 1911, but I'm still not entirely convinced. Can anyone answer me this: how many rounds do aluminum frames last? Can I expect 20,000+ rounds out of a Colt Commander? This is what Kimber claims. If I can be sure that a lightweight Commander will last, I think I could convince myself to buy one instead of a Glock....
Link Posted: 8/14/2005 9:57:38 AM EDT
[#37]
I love the 1911 and I have a 1942 made Colt specimen. That said, I also have Glocks, the 1911 is a fine gun, but it is almost 100 years old and technology has improved quite a bit. Glock 19 is the ideal gun for Home defense and concealed carry. For camping I would rather have a Glock 21 or a Glock 30 becasue a 9mm would barely scratch an angry bear in the woods. I love my 1911 but the only use it gets is at the range, besides it's too damned heavy. get a Glock 19, a Glock 23 if you need something a little more powerful, or a Glock 30 if need a .45 and the 21 is too big. Now you can slo get Glock 38 if you want a Glock 19 sized pistol in .45 cal and the Glock 30 is too wide. My friend, you can't go wrong with Glock even if it is not made in the USA, but even that wil change soon when they start making Glock frames here in the USA if they have not started already. About there being no safety...it is a blessing, I always worry about my 1911's safety being engaged and me not realizing it when I need to use it, I also worry about the hammer dropping. No man, no external hammer or safety for me.
Link Posted: 8/14/2005 11:25:14 AM EDT
[#38]
For lethality, I would feel just as comfortable carrying a Glock 21 or 20 (although I am concerned about overpentration indoors with the 20).  However, like you mentioned, there is not much of a size advantage with the large-framed Glocks for CCW.
Link Posted: 8/14/2005 11:30:09 AM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

Now see, that's just not right!!! I have one 1911 and no Glock.

e-mail me, and I will give you my address so you can send me one.

Link Posted: 8/14/2005 11:34:16 AM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:
You asked:

Answer:

Lethality.

Elaboration:

A man was just shot 4 times with a .45 acp a few miles from my house a couple of weeks ago and survived. He was shot on both sides of his chest, once in the abdomen, and once through the neck.
All in all, handguns pretty much suck in ability to play the role of death ray.

Hey, maybe you should save some money, get a 12 gauge riot gun, and be better off all the way around. (Well, the conceled carry part may be a little tricky though)
Link Posted: 8/14/2005 2:08:26 PM EDT
[#41]

Hey, maybe you should save some money, get a 12 gauge riot gun, and be better off all the way around.

I was watching a show on Discovery last night. It was about Miami PD. Had a detective talking about shooting an armed man from a close distance with a 12gauge. After the first shot , the armed suspect continued the fight. It took two more rounds from the 12 gauge, to stop the threat.
Link Posted: 8/14/2005 5:10:47 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

Hey, maybe you should save some money, get a 12 gauge riot gun, and be better off all the way around.

I was watching a show on Discovery last night. It was about Miami PD. Had a detective talking about shooting an armed man from a close distance with a 12gauge. After the first shot , the armed suspect continued the fight. It took two more rounds from the 12 gauge, to stop the threat.

Now that was one tuff Mutha!!!
You do hear of failure to stop more often than you would think.
I think if someone shot me with a BB gun , I would probably mess by pants and run screaming in a panic to the emergency room!!
Link Posted: 8/14/2005 6:58:58 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

Quoted:
You asked:

Answer:

Lethality.

Elaboration:

A man was just shot 4 times with a .45 acp a few miles from my house a couple of weeks ago and survived. He was shot on both sides of his chest, once in the abdomen, and once through the neck.
All in all, handguns pretty much suck in ability to play the role of death ray.

Hey, maybe you should save some money, get a 12 gauge riot gun, and be better off all the way around. (Well, the conceled carry part may be a little tricky though)

I would be interested in knowing a few things: 1) how do you know this, 2) what handgun was used to shoot the victim, 3) what distance, 4) what kind of ammo, 5) was all the ammo the same, 6) did the rounds go through and through, 7) where did the victim receive treatment, 8) what kind of treatment did the victim receive, 9) what, if any, life support machine is the victim currently hooked up to, 10) what, if any, kind of body armor was the victim wearing, 11) what kind of statistics do you have to show that handguns (.45acp in particular) "pretty much suck in the ability to play the role of death...", 12) what other pistol round (except the 10mm) is better suited for concealed carry "to play the role of death"?

As for a "riot gun".  I think it is irrelevant to discuss a shotgun when someone is trying to decide whether a Glock 19 is a good carry weapon.
Link Posted: 8/14/2005 7:01:01 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Now see, that's just not right!!! I have one 1911 and no Glock.

e-mail me, and I will give you my address so you can send me one.

I wish I could just settle on one platform, it would make life so much simpler. The what-if'ing drives me nuts.

Link Posted: 8/14/2005 7:08:05 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

Bottom line is this: the victim lived.  

... and so (I assume) did the shooter.

Without knowing the particulars of what sounds like an odd situation (shot in the back?) I will point out that the Glock 26 holds 10+1, and IF this was a defensive situation and the victim was only shot 6 times the shooter must have thought that was all that was required (ie he didn't shoot him 11 times.)

Not to be too politically correct, but in most defensive situations the main goal is to stop the attack. Whether or not the shootee survives is not as important.
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 12:18:36 AM EDT
[#46]
AJNTSA!!
BTW...GLOCK ALL THE WAY!!!
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 2:08:59 AM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Bottom line is this: the victim lived.  

... and so (I assume) did the shooter.

Without knowing the particulars of what sounds like an odd situation (shot in the back?) I will point out that the Glock 26 holds 10+1, and IF this was a defensive situation and the victim was only shot 6 times the shooter must have thought that was all that was required (ie he didn't shoot him 11 times.)

Not to be too politically correct, but in most defensive situations the main goal is to stop the attack. Whether or not the shootee survives is not as important.

Yes, the shooter lived.  He is in prison now.  The victim was shot in the back as he was walking away from the shooter.  The shooter is a gangbanger and had been doing drugs all night with his homies.  So to make a long story short, this was not a defensive shooting.
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 5:42:40 AM EDT
[#48]
Buy the book: "The Ayoob Files: The Book".  It has a number of old(copyright 1995 on the book) articles about real shootings that Massad Ayoob wrote for gun magazines.  The only 'one shot stop'(and some people were shot with 00 Buck) I recall comes from an Illinois State Trooper's S&W 39.  It was a special I.S.P. 95gr dish nose soft point at 1400fps made by Federal.  
That said, I wouldn't use a 9mm on anything over 40lbs(i.e., defense against a small dog).  I'd get a compact/subcompact glock in 45acp.  1911's(and I can appreciate this) are works of art, and Glocks are tools.  I hate everything about the 1911, but I respect others' opinions/preferences(please do the same with me).  If you want high ammo count, reliability, light weight, low maintenance, comfort(subjective), out of the box accuracy(icoceles stance all of my shots touch at 50', 3in groups at 75'w/ fixed factory sights), and concealability(sub/compact), then go Glock.  If you're willing to risk your life on a 1911's questionable reliability(failures happen, its a fact- just not with my G21) and carry all that extra weight just to have a gun that looks pretty when you're sweating like a dog with it under your shirt- then fine.  I just don't see any contest based solely on function.  There's always the compact glock in 10mm, too.
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 5:54:55 AM EDT
[#49]
not all firearms work 100% of the time. Sooner or later, shit will happen. Anyone who thinks otherwise is kidding thmeselves.

Personally, I carry a Kimber Ultra CDP II. Small package, big bite.

Not as bulky and blocky as a G-lock.
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 7:56:56 AM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

Very true. The USP is much like a combination of a 1911 and a Glock.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top