Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/4/2021 12:45:00 PM EDT
First, I carry a g19 with rmr every day. That being said, I want to build a fullsize mainly for my belt setup. I have a most recent production m&p 40 police trade in I got for cheap years ago. Should I get it cut for SRO,Apex FSS, magwell, KKM threaded conversion barrel etc or buy a g17 and get it cut for sro and let the m&p turn to dust in the safe?
Link Posted: 1/4/2021 12:48:35 PM EDT
[#1]
Why would you not use a common platform for parts/mag interchangeability?  Besides the fact that it's easier to stay proficient with one platform than two.

I keep spare 17-rounders in my vehicles, or 33s, knowing that no matter what I'm carrying - 17, 19, 26, 34, etc., I have spare mags handy.
Link Posted: 1/4/2021 12:58:13 PM EDT
[#2]
Went through the same thoughts a few months ago.

I now have a farking awesome G5 G17MOS with FCD plate and RMR type 2 on it as a backup to the exact same thing in G19 guise.

Zero regrets and the 17 shoots nicer than the 19....and I can say that as someone that's totally not a Glock fanboy.
Link Posted: 1/4/2021 1:12:12 PM EDT
[#3]
Buy the 17.  One set of mags, one set of holsters, one set of spare parts (mostly), etc etc
Link Posted: 1/4/2021 1:16:49 PM EDT
[#4]
I agree with everyone - yes get a 17.5 I have one with rmr+x300 and a safariland holster and couldn't be better for a belt setup or open carry on land/range...like like others said you can use those mags in your 19 also.

not to get too off topic because everyone has their opinions on mags - I have a bunch of ETS and PMags with zero issues with any of them. Buy a shit ton of them for 17 and you're good to go. If one doesn't work well (which I find hard to believe) mark it with something and use it for training.
Link Posted: 1/4/2021 5:25:40 PM EDT
[#5]
I'm 100% committed to the m&p platform and I think that given your situation, I'd go with a g17rmr.  If nothing else, grip angle and feel plus mag interchangeability.

Now, if this was GD, I'd say get both and build the m&p as well...
Link Posted: 1/4/2021 5:57:30 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I'm 100% committed to the m&p platform and I think that given your situation, I'd go with a g17rmr.  If nothing else, grip angle and feel plus mag interchangeability.

Now, if this was GD, I'd say get both and build the m&p as well...
View Quote

The main reason I thought about building the m&p is A. I already have it and B. I can run a great trigger in it. I choose to run only factory triggers in glocks.
Link Posted: 1/4/2021 6:29:15 PM EDT
[#7]
pick one platform, ....M&P or Glock, and stick with it

switching back n forth will screw up your muscle memory

for me, it’s an M&P fullsize and compact 2.0

both have APEX trigger guts
Link Posted: 1/5/2021 12:01:39 AM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
pick one platform, ....M&P or Glock, and stick with it

switching back n forth will screw up your muscle memory

for me, it's an M&P fullsize and compact 2.0

both have APEX trigger guts
View Quote
I will disagree with you. I don't get to pick the pistol I carry at work every day, and what I carry today is different from what I was given 10 years ago when I signed up. I like to try to be proficient with everything.
Link Posted: 1/5/2021 12:40:18 AM EDT
[#9]
My take (opinion), for what it's worth...

As a guy that began his LE career in Glocks, then tried the VP9, then the M&P 2.0 series, and now circling back to Glock...if you're already carrying a Glock (especially for duty) then just stick with that platform. I chose to come back to Glock for logistical reasons;

1. 95% of my Department carries Glocks of which magazine commonality would be an advantage if some fantasy doomsday Mumbai Siege/Black Hawk Down cataclysm were to unfold in my Midwestern city of about 75,000. In addition, the surrounding municipal agencies and County Sheriff's Office with whom we work together frequently and have Mutual Aid agreements all use 9mm Glocks as well.

2. Policy, Policy, Policy. If you were hired after a certain date, you are required to carry the G17, G19, or G45 in uniform (G43X/G48 authorized for plainclothes assignments). I am "grandfathered" to carry my M&Ps but I am solely responsible for any maintenance or replacement gun(s) if a gun suffers a catastrophic malfunction or is taken as evidence (OIS, etc.) whereas if I were to carry a Glock, the Department will issue you a loaner G17 or G19 for those aforementioned circumstances. The more retirements and new hires we have, the number of Glocks grows while other pistols become increasingly rare.

3. Armorer support; we have about a dozen Glock armorers and only one M&P armorer. In addition, Glock brings it's armorer classes to my AO at least once or twice a year where other brands are scarce, so I can learn the stuff myself some day.

4. Training; the orange/blue plastic dummy guns are all Glocks. Sims guns are all Glocks. When it comes to training and scenarios, nothing else will fit in your holster if you're not carrying a Glock. Firearms training? The Department supplies a ton of Glock mags exclusively for training, whereas you're on your own if you carry something else.

5. Aftermarket and accessories; need I say more? Glock holsters, parts, sights, accessories, etc. are generally cheaper and more prolific than any other brand.

My input wasn't meant to sway anyone to Glock from something else. If you carry something else and have well established support for it and you shoot it well enough, then rock it! OP, if you're carrying a G19 every day anyway and want a bigger gun for your belt, just bump up to a G17 (keeping in mind what I mentioned from my perspective) and call it good.
Link Posted: 1/5/2021 3:38:23 AM EDT
[#10]
If cost is an issue, build the M&p since you already have it. Assuming you like shooting it and plan to use it. But as pointed out already the Glock makes more sense from practicality and simplicity of compatibility that comes with already having one. I have an M&p .40/.357/9mm pistol that I use quite a bit but I have been coming back to my glocks again lately. My grip reduced Glock 21 is becoming my favorite gun to carry. My Glock 35 with 9mm barrel just got the holosun cut and is ready to be sighted in. It was already a absolute tack driver so now a red dot is going to be like cheating. M&p is a great gun so just decide if you rather spend money on a new gun plus stuff needed to set up the configuration you want or save on the purchase of a gun and build off the m&p. Again, if you don’t enjoy shooting the M&p then that is a deciding factor
Link Posted: 1/5/2021 3:47:39 AM EDT
[#11]
Do the M&P but keep it in 40 buy some mag extensions and a holster.
Link Posted: 1/11/2021 11:42:35 AM EDT
[#12]
If you don't want to change the trigger in the Glock and already have the M&P, it sounds like the M&P would make more sense as a canvas.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top