Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 1/3/2021 8:44:44 PM EDT
vs loading magazine to max, chambering round, dropping mag, putting in another round, reinsert magazine.

How much damage does it really do to the extractor?
Link Posted: 1/3/2021 8:54:33 PM EDT
[#1]
What gun are we talking about ?
Link Posted: 1/3/2021 9:04:00 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
What gun are we talking about ?
View Quote

S&W J frame
Link Posted: 1/3/2021 9:05:47 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

S&W J frame
View Quote

Link Posted: 1/3/2021 9:05:53 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

S&W J frame
View Quote

Seriously?
Link Posted: 1/3/2021 9:06:26 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

S&W J frame
View Quote

Link Posted: 1/3/2021 9:06:45 PM EDT
[#6]
Lol
Link Posted: 1/3/2021 9:09:19 PM EDT
[#7]
No I wasn't serious.

Any semi auto, if some are more damaging than others lets talk about it.
Link Posted: 1/3/2021 9:12:44 PM EDT
[#8]
I've read your post 5 times and it makes no sense. Dropping the slide vs chambering a round? Does not seem to be worded correctly.

But, to answer your question, no. Why would dropping the slide do any damage? That is what happens when firing the gun.
Link Posted: 1/3/2021 9:14:07 PM EDT
[#9]
Old school advise was that it was very hard on a 1911 and would/could mess up the extractor.

I never did heavy research but seeing as I did not need to do the drop one into the chamber I have only loaded from a mag .

The very few times I felt the need for a extra cartridge I load and then top off the mag . Be sure the mag seats correctly after topping it off
Link Posted: 1/3/2021 9:17:14 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I've read your post 5 times and it makes no sense. Dropping the slide vs chambering a round? Does not seem to be worded correctly.

But, to answer your question, no. Why would dropping the slide do any damage? That is what happens when firing the gun.
View Quote

Keep reading it. It makes sense.
Link Posted: 1/3/2021 9:18:16 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Keep reading it. It makes sense.
View Quote
Time number 6, you mean "breech loading" vs "mag loading". Use your words guy.
Link Posted: 1/3/2021 9:18:56 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View Quote

How it was explained to me was a slide slamming forward on a chambered round forces a extractor to jump over the cartridge rim .
In the normal firing sequence with  the cartridge coming out of the magazine and tilting into the chamber the rim slides under the extractor hook from the bottom
Link Posted: 1/3/2021 9:21:27 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

How it was explained to me was a slide slamming forward on a chambered round forces a extractor to jump over the cartridge rim .
In the normal firing sequence with  the cartridge coming out of the magazine and tilting into the chamber the rim slides under the extractor hook from the bottom
View Quote
I understand what he meant to say now was trying to describe now.
Link Posted: 1/3/2021 9:23:10 PM EDT
[#14]
I was taught to chamber semi autos from the magazine and that breech loading was a "last resort" due to stress on extractors.  I don't even like to drop the bolt on an empty AR
Link Posted: 1/3/2021 9:25:19 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I was taught to chamber semi autos from the magazine and that breech loading was a "last resort" due to stress on extractors.  I don't even like to drop the bolt on an empty AR
View Quote

Yep, same here. Has anyone actually done test on pistols to see if/how/when it breaks or does damage to the extractor?
Link Posted: 1/3/2021 9:25:25 PM EDT
[#16]
The better question to ask here is why would you even need/want to do that?
Link Posted: 1/3/2021 9:25:37 PM EDT
[#17]
It won’t damage anything until it does.

Any decent gun, 1911 included, is designed to be able to do it with no damage, but it’s not designed to work like that all the time.
Link Posted: 1/3/2021 9:56:05 PM EDT
[#18]
Insert round into empty chamber. Release slide. Nothing bad happened.

How many times am I going to need to do this until the extractor breaks?
How many times is acceptable?

Seems to be more “I was taught to do it this way so I do it this way” on things than anyone ACTUALLY testing it out. Extractors aren’t the most impossible thing to find, they’re not impossible to replace either. Drop the bullet in, find out if the extractor breaks, if it doesn’t you can tell the internet they were wrong, and the internet will tell you “well no not one time, but continue doing it and it’s going to break” and you can wait for it to break and report back.
Link Posted: 1/3/2021 9:57:00 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Any decent gun, 1911 included, is designed to be able to do it with no damage, but it’s not designed to work like that all the time.
View Quote

Do you design guns for a living?
How do you know they are designed to only be loaded using a magazine?
Link Posted: 1/3/2021 10:00:05 PM EDT
[#20]
I've always been told don't drop the slide on an empty chamber or a manually loaded round with 1911 because of extractor tuning.
Link Posted: 1/3/2021 10:01:31 PM EDT
[#21]
If you are looking for time between an empty mag and the next shot you are using the slide release for the first round of the new mag.

Drop old mag
Slap in new
Drop slide
Bang

Or not, ymmv

eta, maybe I'm not reading your question right. Nevermind. You're talking about dropping slide on a chambered round.
I wouldn't do it.
Link Posted: 1/3/2021 10:12:41 PM EDT
[#22]
It can be rough on some extractors!

MIM extractors might arguably be more prone to breakage
Link Posted: 1/3/2021 10:18:53 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
It can be rough on some extractors!

MIM extractors might arguably be more prone to breakage
View Quote

MIM extractors are definitely more prone to breakage.
Link Posted: 1/3/2021 10:27:51 PM EDT
[#24]
Generally,  dropping the slide on a loaded round can damage the extractor over time because it has to ride up and over the entire rim, instead of sliding up and over it as it feeds from the magazine.
Link Posted: 1/3/2021 10:33:45 PM EDT
[#25]
I will say, I've been loading my USPc like this for years now, and have yet to have any issues.

Open slide, i drop the round into the chamber and then release slide, load a fully loaded mag, holster the pistol and go about my day.

This is the first I've ever read about it.
Link Posted: 1/3/2021 10:38:34 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
I will say, I've been loading my USPc like this for years now, and have yet to have any issues.

Open slide, i drop the round into the chamber and then release slide, load a fully loaded mag, holster the pistol and go about my day.

This is the first I've ever read about it.
View Quote

Link Posted: 1/3/2021 10:46:26 PM EDT
[#27]
Most magazine fed pistols are generally designed to be fed from the magazine. So that's typically how I fed such pistols.

Now, have I dropped rounds into the breach and let the slide slam home, sure. Is that probably hard on the extractor, probably. These are generally Glocks, I probably wouldnt on a internal extractored 1911 or similar.

It's just not designed to work that way so in doing so you will probably see greater parts breakage.
Link Posted: 1/3/2021 10:51:36 PM EDT
[#28]
Some of y'all might have done it thousands of times... but only one time too many to make your pistol a single shot!
Link Posted: 1/3/2021 10:59:34 PM EDT
[#29]
I always load from the magazine.

Gotta be good to your life saving tools.
Link Posted: 1/3/2021 11:11:52 PM EDT
[#30]
Ok, now that that is settled.

On a recoil operated firearm, during live fire, will it eject just fine with no extractor?
Link Posted: 1/3/2021 11:17:42 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
I will say, I've been loading my Glock like this for years now, and have yet to have any issues.

Open slide, I drop the round into the chamber and then release slide, load a fully loaded mag, holster the pistol and go about my day.
View Quote

Link Posted: 1/3/2021 11:21:48 PM EDT
[#32]
Huh. I've never even considered this. A few months back I was shooting my friends shield with some white box Winchester ammo. One round didn't fire so I ejected it by racking the slide.

After the mag was empty I popped the round directly into the chamber and hit the slide release (to see if the round would fire with a second primer strike)  just by instinct. It's one of those things I've always done with any semi auto pistol since I was a kid.

I never considered it could be any different than feeding from the magazine
Link Posted: 1/3/2021 11:44:29 PM EDT
[#33]
I have no idea. I'm not that lazy.
Link Posted: 1/4/2021 12:00:12 AM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 1/4/2021 12:02:23 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Generally,  dropping the slide on a loaded round can damage the extractor over time because it has to ride up and over the entire rim, instead of sliding up and over it as it feeds from the magazine.
View Quote

Exactly this.

And it does matter what gun, it's harder on some guns than others.

Best rule of thumb, don't be lazy and don't do it.

Link Posted: 1/4/2021 12:02:37 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Huh. I've never even considered this. A few months back I was shooting my friends shield with some white box Winchester ammo. One round didn't fire so I ejected it by racking the slide.

After the mag was empty I popped the round directly into the chamber and hit the slide release (to see if the round would fire with a second primer strike)  just by instinct. It's one of those things I've always done with any semi auto pistol since I was a kid.

View Quote

It is different than loading from magazine.

On most pistols the rim of the case will slide under the extractor.

Loading that way causes the extractor to jump over the case rim. It is bad practice and can lead to premature failure.
Link Posted: 1/4/2021 12:03:47 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View Quote

Normally, as the round feeds out of the magazine the rim slides under the extractor.
Link Posted: 1/4/2021 12:05:41 AM EDT
[#38]
So no one has done any test on this to see if it's true or not? Everyone is just saying "I heard" or "it's not a good idea".
Link Posted: 1/4/2021 12:11:30 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
So no one has done any test on this to see if it's true or not? Everyone is just saying "I heard" or "it's not a good idea".
View Quote

It's not just hearsay. It's knowledge of the design and function. We are explaining to you the physical reason it's a bad idea.

If you don't believe it then go on your way and ignore it.
Link Posted: 1/4/2021 12:11:52 AM EDT
[#40]
I heard it’s not a good idea?
Link Posted: 1/4/2021 12:17:04 AM EDT
[#41]
Beretta Px4 owner's manual specifically said it is ok to close the slide on a chambered round.

I have always read to not do so on 1911s but don't own one and have little experience with them.

Link Posted: 1/4/2021 12:28:51 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

It's not just hearsay. It's knowledge of the design and function. We are explaining to you the physical reason it's a bad idea.

View Quote

I understand its a bad idea. What I asked was does anyone know how much damage it has done or how much before failure? So far no one can say anything past it's a bad idea.
Link Posted: 1/4/2021 12:53:01 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

I understand its a bad idea. What I asked was does anyone know how much damage it has done or how much before failure? So far no one can say anything past it's a bad idea.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It depends on the specific firearm. Designs vary widely.

Even then, no one is going to be able to precisely tell you the extractor will fail after dropping the slide on a round 87 times.
Link Posted: 1/4/2021 12:59:30 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It has happened over the years... there is no way to say after X number of time your extractor will break. As to how much damage... with a broken extractor you can't extract fired cases.

If you use the bad technique and the extractor breaks after chambering a round, you now have a single shot pistol.

As the saying goes... a word to the wise is sufficient!  It is up to you if you continue doing with the personal history of you have never broke an extractor.  YOLO

Link Posted: 1/4/2021 1:03:41 AM EDT
[#45]
Beretta must not think it's a good idea.

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 1/4/2021 1:14:49 AM EDT
[#46]
A 1911 is designed to feed from the mag.  That's why new extractors need to be tuned.  The rim is captured by the extractor when it feeds from the magazine. It will damage an extractor over time  without question.  It is almost like controlled round feed.  Most more modern designs have much sturdier extractors than a piece of spring steel and it is no big deal.
Link Posted: 1/4/2021 7:10:13 AM EDT
[#47]
On some guns you can put pressure on the rear of the extractor to open it up. That’s what I do on the ones you can do that with. Let the slide down easy with your hand while pushing on the back and it’ll go right over the case rim. On guns where you can’t do this I just load from a mag.
Link Posted: 1/4/2021 7:26:24 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

View Quote

Which is why I don't do it. It will screw up your ejector very quickly (1911, no idea on other style pistols)
Link Posted: 1/4/2021 8:15:51 AM EDT
[#49]
Damaging extractors is one thing and a good reason, unquantified, not to drop the slide on a chambered round.

Missing here, what I was expecting to see is mention of a partially chambered live centerfire round or one sliding back out of the chamber or a rimfire not completely chambered that is struck by the extractor or some other part of the breech face and the primer is set off.  That would be very exciting.

That was agency training reason not to chamber load.
Link Posted: 1/4/2021 8:51:11 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Beretta Px4 owner's manual specifically said it is ok to close the slide on a chambered round.

I have always read to not do so on 1911s but don't own one and have little experience with them.

View Quote

I've also heard (though never seen written proof from Beretta) that the 92 was designed to be "port loaded" and doing so would not damage the gun.

As for the 1911, I've read it's a no-no because of the internal extractor. With the extractor in the hole in the slide, it cannot bend out as the "hook" snaps over the rim. Again, nothing I've experimented with, just saying what I've heard.

I've never port-loaded a handgun, except for my Beretta 21A and 950BS (both have the tp-up barrels and are designed to be loaded like that).
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top