User Panel

Page / 3
Link Posted: 1/3/2021 9:44:38 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 1/3/2021 9:51:04 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
If you shoot someone a $ 1500 gun will be the least of your worries.
View Quote

Exactly.  Getting that gun back will quickly move down the priority list.
Link Posted: 1/3/2021 9:51:24 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

You disagree???  Please point out the flaw in my logic?
View Quote

Are you privy to police RFP/bids, contracts and procurement activities?
Link Posted: 1/3/2021 10:16:18 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 1/3/2021 10:18:40 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Yes, I was in charge of the firearms training unit for a 400 officer agency. This included procurement.

I am now at a byog agency.
View Quote
Then you should know that not all LE agencies use glocks ("$400 to $500 range" guns).
Link Posted: 1/3/2021 10:26:08 AM EDT
[#6]
Carry whatever you WANT to carry.  Life is too short.  This is an enthusiast site.  Enjoy.  

Totally unrelated, I saw in the night vision forum where someone was asking about the justification of a couple of grand on an NV rig, and someone else said no, you need to spend that money on a 6th and 7th PSA AR, and maybe a few more holsters for the unused holster box.  
Link Posted: 1/3/2021 10:31:19 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Then you should know that not all LE agencies use glocks ("$400 to $500 range" guns).
View Quote

I'm trying to remember that last time I saw a cop carrying anything but a Glock.
Link Posted: 1/3/2021 10:33:16 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 1/3/2021 11:06:37 AM EDT
[#9]
Carry what you are most proficient and confident with. Whether it’s a hi-point or a python doesn’t matter.  Now. If going to a social event where a nice weapon is part of the dress code? Well that’s when your shiney show off BBQ gun gets put into the ostrich skin holster and you strut your stuff.

I’m not one that stresses over wear marks on a carry weapon.
Link Posted: 1/3/2021 11:14:08 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote

QFT!

Carry whatever works best for you and have a backup and then focus on the 1 million other things that are more important then what your CCW cost.
Link Posted: 1/4/2021 12:04:57 AM EDT
[#11]
I'm not a collector so I don't own anything I wouldn't carry. I used to avoid carrying an expensive gun for fear of losing it to the evidence locker and then I realized how silly it is to think that way.
Link Posted: 1/4/2021 3:18:28 AM EDT
[#12]
If  I'm ever involved in an SD shooting it'll be because a member of my families or my life was in the balance and I want to have a gun that I shoot exceptionally well with me on that day. The value of the gun and any concern about it being lost to the evidence locker is far down the priority list.

Link Posted: 1/4/2021 10:33:49 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

I'm trying to remember that last time I saw a cop carrying anything but a Glock.
View Quote

For me it was yesterday.

Get out more.
Link Posted: 1/4/2021 10:36:40 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

I would suspect very few, if any of us, expect to be involved in a defensive shooting because the odds of it happening are extremely small.  However, by your logic why carry a gun at all?  Chances are you'll never need one.
View Quote

As it *is* possible, I will continue carrying a gun.

As it is unlikely, I will not worry about losing my carry gun in such an event.

Tell you what, if I start having defensive shootings every six months or so I’ll revisit my stance and post here. Until then, I’ll keep carrying a decent firearm.
Link Posted: 1/4/2021 10:42:36 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
View Quote

Link Posted: 1/4/2021 11:40:14 AM EDT
[#16]
I'm a LEO who's department has a "personal duty" policy. We have issued SIG and Glocks, but if the individual officer has a firearm they are more comfortable and proficient with that they own, they may carry it. They are responsible for the holster, mags, maintenance, and sign an affidavit acknowledging that they must surrender it in the event of a line of duty shooting. It must also be agency inspected and approved.

I have taken advantage of this program since it's inception. I carried a Nighthawk Custom previously and carry a Staccato P now. They are both what I would consider "nice guns." I carry religiously both on and off duty.

I have better odds of using and loosing my carry gun than average Joe CCW, and it doesn't bother me in the slightest. I carry what I am most proficient with, what I am most comfortable with, and what gives me the greatest advantage (however slight) in a deadly force encounter. I will stack that deck as high as it can go with all the variables I can control through training and equipment  

If/When the day comes that I use my "nice gun" to save my life or someone else's,  that gun doesn't owe me a damn thing anymore.
Link Posted: 1/5/2021 8:20:52 AM EDT
[#17]
I choose my carry guns for practical reasons, just as I choose my range guns for practical reasons.

Link Posted: 1/5/2021 11:41:26 AM EDT
[#18]
Reliability is king.

My most reliable handguns are gen 3 Glocks . A G26 and a G19.  I put night sights on them.

If pocket carry.

Pocket carry  j frame , LCP or a SIG P238.

All have been completely reliable.

Some time I will carry a Springfield loaded that has been proven reliable. Or a S&W 686.

But for carry I most often use the glock  because of night sights  weight and capacity.

None were over $1000.
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 1:53:28 AM EDT
[#19]
You should have 2-6 identical carry guns. If you can’t afford multiples there’s an issue. If you can, who gives a fuck if one is in the lockup?
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 8:53:00 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
You should have 2-6 identical carry guns.
View Quote

2 makes sense and I can see a case for 3 but 4-6?

Link Posted: 1/18/2021 9:07:21 AM EDT
[#21]
If you have to worry about the cost of a gun after it saves your life, can you really afford it anyway?
If that’s you, buy a Glock.
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 10:59:38 AM EDT
[#22]
I buy it, I use it. Carrying a $1700 1911 on me today. Something happens and it gets damaged or locked up, I’ll buy another one and repeat.
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 11:21:30 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
You should have 2-6 identical carry guns.

3 probably makes more sense than 6. I can't see why having 6, unless that person names their guns and only carrys Lucy on Wednesdays or something.

One to practice/train with
One to carry (does not get touched except for maybe basic PM every 6 or so months, maybe rotated out with the training gun?)
A spare, in case one (or both) of the other two go down, or needs to go back to the manufacturer for a recall, etc. If you rotate training and carry pieces, throw this into the mix too...it will really help with longevity, especially with guns that are known to eventually have parts breakage (CZs are an example)

Some people go for a 4th to be exclusively used in dry fire practice; put a fake barrel in so it can never accept live ammo, etc. I'm not wealthy enough to afford that, but some are...good for them, but that's even more overkill than having 3 for me.
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 11:31:19 AM EDT
[#24]
I don't mind carrying an "expensive" (2k or less) carry gun...but a gun I had worked up for me, a 1911 that went through a gunsmith for example? Probably not. Not because of the expense of replacing it, but because of the time investment into it. Money I don't mind losing so much...time? Time's irreplaceable.

Would it suck to lose a $1000 Sig to an evidence locker? Yeah but it's a drop in the bucket compared to legal fees, and I can buy another, new or used.

Would it suck to lose a $1000 Colt 1911 that went through the Custom Shop and had another 2-3k worth of work done to it, and took a year to do? Way worse, to me. I'd be happy it served it's purpose and kept me alive, but the though of replacing something that I cared enough to spend that much time and money waiting on...that's prohibitive.
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 12:43:59 PM EDT
[#25]
Back when Smith & Wesson 9mm Shields were selling wholesale for less than $300, I acquired a couple for carry just because I consider them "expendable."

I figure any weapon used in a self defense scenario is at the very least going to be tied up in legal wrangling for a while, so why let that happen to a Glock, HK, or custom 1911?

I considered getting one of the Ruger cheapie pistols for the same purpose, but I love the Shield so much I never moved on it.
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 1:32:23 PM EDT
[#26]
My P07 was pretty cheap.  Till I got the DI RMR for it, had the slide milled for the RMR and a rear back up sight, had the slide cerakoted and the RMR and back up rear sights installed.  Now it's more than twice the original purchase cost of $400.

Same for the 2nd P07.

The gun is cheap compared to my life or a long stay in a hospital.
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 2:39:21 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Carry whatever you can draw and put a round (or more) on target fastest with.

How much is your life worth to you?
View Quote

This is the way I look at it. What I paid for the pistol has nothing to do with whether I'll carry it or not. If you ever have to use it the cost of that weapon will be the very least of your concerns.
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 10:30:05 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Some people go for a 4th to be exclusively used in dry fire practice; put a fake barrel in so it can never accept live ammo, etc. I'm not wealthy enough to afford that, but some are...good for them, but that's even more overkill than having 3 for me.
View Quote

That's just dumb IMO but whatever, to each their own. I don't care how others spend their money.
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 12:27:48 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

I don't care how others spend their money.
View Quote
It sounds like you do.
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 12:30:54 PM EDT
[#30]
I try not to carry on a daily basis, the vintage, collector grade guns that made it through the years in near mint condition (I have several).

Those actually are safely on display on my nightstand.

I do carry expensive handguns (H&Ks for example) otherwise;
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 1:02:06 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
My P07 was pretty cheap.  Till I got the DI RMR for it, had the slide milled for the RMR and a rear back up sight, had the slide cerakoted and the RMR and back up rear sights installed.  Now it's more than twice the original purchase cost of $400.

Same for the 2nd P07.

The gun is cheap compared to my life or a long stay in a hospital.
View Quote

P07 is a cheap gun. I think you and I have different ideas of expensive. You can put all kinds of lipstick on it but it is still a cheap gun you can find anywhere.

Link Posted: 1/19/2021 1:04:11 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
I choose my carry guns for practical reasons, just as I choose my range guns for practical reasons.

https://i.postimg.cc/mgt165sN/SIG-Sauer-P365.jpg

View Quote

Shows a subcompact pistol with banana clip in it.
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 2:33:28 PM EDT
[#33]
I carry a Hi-Power and a Manurhin PPKS.

They work.   Which is the only thing I'm concerned about.

Link Posted: 1/20/2021 11:24:15 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Shows a subcompact pistol with banana clip in it.
View Quote

I’m more concerned with this whole “banana clip” nonsense.
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 1:11:49 PM EDT
[#35]
I carry my USP Expert .45

I love the gun, I shoot it well, and I know it is insanely reliable.  Yeah they're expensive, but God forbid if something ever does happen where I need to use I want a gun that I know I can rely on no matter the condition.
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 1:17:02 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
There is a reason cops carry guns that are in the $400 to $500 range.  The reason is that they will get beat up and banged around on the job.  If they get into a shooting, the gun will spend months in the lab / evidence room uncared for.  This is tolerable for a $400 gun, for most people, not so much for a $1400 gun.
View Quote

I'm pretty sure the reason they carry those guns is because it's what's issued/approved by their department.
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 4:41:40 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
It sounds like you do.
View Quote

Aw, did I hurt your feeling? So sad

BTW - I know English can be tricky at times so here's a clue... having an opinion on something isn't the same thing as caring about something.
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 5:36:49 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Aw, did I hurt your feeling? So sad

BTW - I know English can be tricky at times so here's a clue... having an opinion on something isn't the same thing as caring about something.
View Quote
But you do care.
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 5:45:03 PM EDT
[#39]
Why buy it if your afraid to fucking scratch it.... fucking nancy bitches
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 9:23:49 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Why buy it if your afraid to fucking scratch it.... fucking nancy bitches
View Quote

Oooor collectors of nice things that go up in value and want to keep in as nice of shape as possible.
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 9:27:57 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
The odds of you having to use your gun is slim to none. I have no issue carrying expensive guns. What's the point in owning all these nice carry guns, but then only carry a cheap gun. Use what you shoot best in my opinion.
View Quote

This. Carry what you shoot most/best. If I'm ever in the unfortunate situation where I need to use it surviving the encounter is my primary concern. What happens to the gun afterwards doesn't matter one bit.
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 9:31:33 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
I’ve been wondering this for a while. I’ve had a S&W 69 ported snub that was worth $1500+. And currently I have a mint Sig P228 German all matching with box.

These two handguns would be hard to replace so how do you guys feel about carrying guns like this that you might have? If it ends up you having to use it, what happens to the firearm?
View Quote

Not using a gun because it's expensive sounds absolutely silly. The only reason a gun has value imo is because its a tool that is exceptionally good. If you're buying guns just to polish them and see your reflection, why not switch to a mirror collecting hobby?
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 9:50:34 PM EDT
[#43]
Never hesitated to carry something due to cost. That said, I understand and would not carry a collectable non-replaceable pistol, although I do shoot collectable rifles. Cost is anywhere between 600 and 1200, that money means nothing if you live...and also means nothing if you're dead.

Carry something you like and are good with, regardless of the cost.
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 1:33:29 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
I’ve been wondering this for a while. I’ve had a S&W 69 ported snub that was worth $1500+. And currently I have a mint Sig P228 German all matching with box.

These two handguns would be hard to replace so how do you guys feel about carrying guns like this that you might have? If it ends up you having to use it, what happens to the firearm?
View Quote

Police evidence rooms are not known for being a good place to store firearms.

Add to that the distinct possibility that surface oil may have been stripped from
the firearm and corrosion damage is a distinct possibility.
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 1:37:19 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
You should have 2-6 identical carry guns. If you can’t afford multiples there’s an issue. If you can, who gives a fuck if one is in the lockup?
View Quote

I have multiple 1991A1 Colt Compacts.
Each has the same work done on them.

Fitted barrel bushings, crisp trigger pulls 9still around 3.5 pounds, but crisp.

Being able to do your own work makes it a lot less expensive.
Cost or parts and some time.
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 10:57:02 PM EDT
[#46]
If you're being charged in an self defense type situations, the last thing you're going to be worried about is the losing a $2000 gun.  Carry what works, don't worry what it will cost to replace.  This mindset baffles me.
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 11:43:57 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

Police evidence rooms are not known for being a good place to store firearms.

Add to that the distinct possibility that surface oil may have been stripped from
the firearm and corrosion damage is a distinct possibility.
View Quote

If I lose a gun after it saves my life I’m fine with that.

It’s just stuff.
Link Posted: 2/10/2021 12:37:43 PM EDT
[#48]
I just don't see a reason to do so, particularly with collector's pieces. In spite of this hurting feelings, collector's guns become collector's guns, for the most part, because they're not practical enough to become mass-produced, ubiquitous and cheap, or have otherwise been surpassed and relegated to objects to admire, rather than tools.

On the other side of things, expensive new production guns:
If you're a good enough shooter that you can tell a difference in a SD shooting with a 2011 vs a G19 I guess go for it, but I would lay money that 99.5% or more of the gun owners in the world can't tell a real world difference, and those that put enough time and money into it to tell a difference likely have a couple $1500+ guns laying around.
I carry a 19 with a X300 and a RMR, losing it would suck because I've got a fair amount of money in it, but it is nothing I couldn't go down to the gun store and replace easily.
Link Posted: 2/11/2021 4:40:05 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

For me it was yesterday.

Get out more.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

For me it was yesterday.

Get out more.

Curious what it was. I know guys that would love being issued HK VP9s instead of Glocks or Shields.
Link Posted: 2/11/2021 11:48:43 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

Curious what it was. I know guys that would love being issued HK VP9s instead of Glocks or Shields.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

For me it was yesterday.

Get out more.

Far and away I see mostly Glocks.   Sig P226s were pretty common since TXDPS carried them for a long time, so a lot of agencies would allow them.  Sig P320 is starting to take off now that TXDPS is switching to them, I haven't seen any myself yet but a few local agencies have followed suit and approved it.  (Pretty common in Texas, smaller agencies will let DPS do the heavy lifting on something then just mirror what they do.)  Handful of Smith M&Ps, some of the older Smith steel-frame autos out there too.  I remember seeing a lone county guy with a stainless 1911, cocked & locked, many years ago.

What you see is mostly a game of who can undercut who the most on contracts, and agencies with more relaxed bring-your-own choices.  Glock is famous for giving new Glocks in trade for the old ones, which then get dumped on the secondary market.  I don't know if Sig does the same thing but the way they play games with the retail market makes me think not, they're just riding high on the recognition of the M17/M18 and other major state-level agencies approving them.

As to the thread content, I would say you should always carry a "nice gun".  I don't want to carry a bad one.

If you can only afford one, from a Hi-Point to an original Sig P210, carry what you have and works.  As everyone else has said, that value of it is a drop in the bucket when the legal party starts.

There's definitely nothing wrong with favoring certain handguns for certain jobs though.  Looking at the rarity of something when you have other options is a fine factor too.  When I bought my Hi-Powers, they were pretty easy to find and I would have carried them because they are awesome.  I don't see any upside to it now with the insane price escalation now that FN/Browning has quit making them.  Maybe I won't lose one to a shooting, but they'll wear faster and risk getting beat up from daily carry.  My Glocks at this point are a better choice given the "emotional" value I attach to the HPs.
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top