Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 1/1/2021 4:27:13 PM EDT
I’ve been wondering this for a while. I’ve had a S&W 69 ported snub that was worth $1500+. And currently I have a mint Sig P228 German all matching with box.

These two handguns would be hard to replace so how do you guys feel about carrying guns like this that you might have? If it ends up you having to use it, what happens to the firearm?
Link Posted: 1/1/2021 4:31:31 PM EDT
[#1]
I don’t. However I know lots of people who do as it fits their hand best and it’s what they shoot best. Yes after a shooting you’ll lose the gun until you’re cleared.
Link Posted: 1/1/2021 4:32:19 PM EDT
[#2]
In my mind, that is why there are plastic fantastic handguns. I have inexpensive S&W J frames and a Walther PPS M2 for carry so I do not need to carry one of my nicer guns. If I need more capacity I have a FNS-9 in the nightstand and another in a kydex IWB holster for concealment. My nicer guns go to the range for enjoyment and the polymers come along for practice.
Link Posted: 1/1/2021 4:45:26 PM EDT
[#3]
This is what Glocks are for. Cheap tools to be dropped, kicked to the curb, and left in evidence lockup with nary a care.
Link Posted: 1/1/2021 4:53:51 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
This is what Glocks are for. Cheap tools to be dropped, kicked to the curb, and left in evidence lockup with nary a care.
View Quote

Yea I know. But like driving a nice car...I like holstering up something I like a lot. Your logic is right, I'm not arguing. But it feels like choosing "Should I drive a pos Prius because I don't care if it gets totaled and is good on gas...Or should I drive a 2001 Z06 because I enjoy it?"
Link Posted: 1/1/2021 4:57:37 PM EDT
[#5]
The odds of you having to use your gun is slim to none. I have no issue carrying expensive guns. What's the point in owning all these nice carry guns, but then only carry a cheap gun. Use what you shoot best in my opinion.
Link Posted: 1/1/2021 5:00:39 PM EDT
[#6]
I carry a Les baer with mammoth ivory grips in an elephant hide holster. If I lose my shit in a legit shooting I’ll go home and order another that day.
Link Posted: 1/1/2021 5:06:15 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I carry a Les baer with mammoth ivory grips in an elephant hide holster. If I lose my shit in a legit shooting I’ll go home and order another that day.
View Quote

For whatever reason this is what I picture you as:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RhaifCEZks4
Link Posted: 1/1/2021 5:19:59 PM EDT
[#8]
Will some of the jury members secretly appreciate and admire my selected carry weapon? I bet it's happened.
Link Posted: 1/1/2021 5:22:11 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/1/2021 5:22:48 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/1/2021 5:37:19 PM EDT
[#11]
I carry expensive guns that are still in production and can be replaced, albeit it at a high cost.
Link Posted: 1/1/2021 5:40:55 PM EDT
[#12]
If your and your family's lives were saved, because you bought a $1500 car, and it was totalled in the wreck what would you think?
Not much, go buy another $1500 car.

Where I live the cops don't confiscate firearms used by honest citizens so I don't care. But in the overall scheme of life, 1500 bucks is nothing balanced against your life or your loved ones. People total $80,000 diesel pickups and say?.... I'm just happy my family is alive.

An irreplaceable gun with family history? Maybe.
Link Posted: 1/1/2021 5:43:53 PM EDT
[#13]
I was carrying my Staccato P then my Staccato C2 for awhile but went back to Glock.
If I lose it, it's $400 to replace.
And I figured since I'm issued a Glock at work, I should probably carry one off duty.  Makes things simpler.
Link Posted: 1/1/2021 5:54:02 PM EDT
[#14]
Or...carry two!!  One for show and one for blow...like a handkerchief.

Carry a pretty gun if you just feel like it or if you want to open carry, but shoot them with a cheap pocket gun.

Link Posted: 1/1/2021 6:14:18 PM EDT
[#15]
Carry whatever you want.  

I carry a Glock 43 99% of the time because after 15 years of Glock 17/17K or steel 1911 fuck that big ass gun.  

Link Posted: 1/1/2021 6:24:55 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
And I figured since I'm issued a Glock at work, I should probably carry one off duty.  Makes things simpler.
View Quote

I really need to learn this lesson.
Link Posted: 1/1/2021 6:26:35 PM EDT
[#17]

I'm really not a 1911 guy and that is just "meh" to me. But I do like the natural wear on it. How long did the leather take to do that?
Link Posted: 1/1/2021 6:27:49 PM EDT
[#18]
Carry my Glock 26  99% of the time
Link Posted: 1/1/2021 6:38:00 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Carry my Glock 26  99% of the time
View Quote

I'm sorry
Link Posted: 1/1/2021 7:30:57 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Will some of the jury members secretly appreciate and admire my selected carry weapon? I bet it's happened.
View Quote

Having pulled Jury Duty several times - I would strongly doubt any District Attorney (Commonwealth Attorney here in VA) would allow anyone that actually knows anything about guns on the jury!

That said - carry what you have confidence in. Being able to manipulate the controls without thinking about it, and being able to hit your intended target are the important requirements.  

If you are wearing a gun to impress someone, you should be going to a BBQ!

A Happy New Year to all.
Link Posted: 1/1/2021 7:37:42 PM EDT
[#21]
I carry what's easiest for me to shoot. That means $1200 Glock/RMR's currently.

If I use it and live to tell about it, I will have no regrets. That's why I spent the money in the first place.

I won't carry something that's irreplaceable though, a la Grandpa's bringback Luger.
Link Posted: 1/1/2021 7:39:18 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

I'm really not a 1911 guy and that is just "meh" to me. But I do like the natural wear on it. How long did the leather take to do that?
View Quote

Unsubscribe
Link Posted: 1/1/2021 7:44:43 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Having pulled Jury Duty several times - I would strongly doubt any District Attorney (Commonwealth Attorney here in VA) would allow anyone that actually knows anything about guns on the jury!

That said - carry what you have confidence in. Being able to manipulate the controls without thinking about it, and being able to hit your intended target are the important requirements.  

If you are wearing a gun to impress someone, you should be going to a BBQ!

A Happy New Year to all.
View Quote

I personally know one such person that made it on to the jury in a murder case in CA. The defendant used a very nice revolver. And the defendant walked. The jury decided that he legally acted in self-defense.
Link Posted: 1/1/2021 7:57:18 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

I personally know one such person that made it on to the jury in a murder case in CA. The defendant used a very nice revolver. And the defendant walked. The jury decided that he legally acted in self-defense.
View Quote

So are you saying he walked because he used "a very nice revolver" or because he was justified in his use of deadly force?
Link Posted: 1/1/2021 8:17:36 PM EDT
[#25]
Cost would be less of a factor for me than being able to find a replacement.
I've retired cheap things from daily use because they can no longer be bought new, and I carry pistol/RDS/light combos that are far from cheap but can still be ordered new.
I might not carry the German SIG, but I'd probably rock the model 69.
Doesn't hurt that I want one.
Link Posted: 1/1/2021 8:22:53 PM EDT
[#26]
I'd say carry whatever you want, as long as you're proficient with it.

If you ever have to use it, the value of your ass being on the correct side of the dirt will *far* outweigh the value of the weapon, even if you weren't going to get it back.
Link Posted: 1/1/2021 9:13:54 PM EDT
[#27]
While I’m currently policy bound to carry a glock, I have carried a privately owned P7M8 , P7M13, personal owned German Sigs, Wilson CQB, Action Works built 70 series Colt... its a tool and what ever works for you. Carry what you want that you can defend you and your families life with

How many peeps are carrying tricked out Glicks that cost as much as high end 1911?
Link Posted: 1/1/2021 9:53:50 PM EDT
[#28]
My only "nice" gun is a Colt MKIV Series 70 with faux ivory grips; it's what I call the "Church Gun" and really only makes guest appearances at weddings, funerals, and the like. Otherwise a 9mm M&P 2.0 in some flavor is the EDC.
Link Posted: 1/1/2021 10:13:27 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Yea I know. But like driving a nice car...I like holstering up something I like a lot. Your logic is right, I'm not arguing. But it feels like choosing "Should I drive a pos Prius because I don't care if it gets totaled and is good on gas...Or should I drive a 2001 Z06 because I enjoy it?"
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Carry the Glock (tool) when you drive the Prius (tool) and the fancy gun(useful toy) when you drive the Vette(useful toy). The logic is parallel.
Link Posted: 1/1/2021 10:50:52 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
View Quote

This. Save the beautiful 1911s for the range and bbqs.
Link Posted: 1/1/2021 11:37:49 PM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 1/1/2021 11:43:48 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View Quote

I’m saddened by this revelation.
Link Posted: 1/2/2021 12:03:32 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Unsubscribe
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Unsubscribe

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/2/2021 2:21:17 AM EDT
[#34]
If losing a handgun after a defensive shooting is going to cripple me financially I have far bigger issues.

How often do you think these events actually happen?

This is an absurd argument.  Unless it’s something like a family heirloom which is absolutely irreplaceable, carry a high quality firearm.
Link Posted: 1/2/2021 4:07:01 AM EDT
[#35]
Carry whatever works for you.

Could be a Hi Point, could be a custom 1911.
Link Posted: 1/2/2021 9:29:18 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

So are you saying he walked because he used "a very nice revolver" or because he was justified in his use of deadly force?
View Quote
All I said is that at least one of the defendant's jurors knew that the revolver wasn't junk.
Link Posted: 1/2/2021 9:58:12 AM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 1/2/2021 11:04:23 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
If you shoot someone a $ 1500 gun will be the least of your worries.
View Quote

This. Your legal fees will exceed that amount, even if you are not charged because of the event.  Then there is the incalculable mental stress you will experience, even if you eventually get your weapon back, which in all likely hood, you will.
Link Posted: 1/2/2021 11:16:04 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
View Quote
This. Carry whatever you are most competent with; if that's a $4k presentation pistol, so be it.

In the moment of truth none of that is going to matter and you're going to have far, far larger issues in-play.
Link Posted: 1/2/2021 3:47:54 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
If losing a handgun after a defensive shooting is going to cripple me financially I have far bigger issues.

How often do you think these events actually happen?

This is an absurd argument.  Unless it’s something like a family heirloom which is absolutely irreplaceable, carry a high quality firearm.
View Quote

That.
I sometimes carry a 2 1/2" Colt Python that's 99%, my late Dad bought it for $400 (I have the receipt, he was a FFL at the time), I've been offered 3k for it but as I said 3k is the price of a beater car today.
IF I used it to defend my Dad's grandchildren (it is a family heirloom) he would just smile upon me and consider that (potential) 3k dollars to be inconsequential. Nothing, nada.
Shoot what you like, carry what you can make solid hits with, and don't sweat the very few dollars involved. Like I said, the cops don't take guns from justified shooters where I live.
Link Posted: 1/2/2021 6:31:09 PM EDT
[#41]
In my case being able to afford a "nice/expensive" gun doesn't come around very often.  I have a couple $1k + handguns that I received as gifts throughout my life and likely couldn't afford to replace them.  One is no longer made and rarely ever seen on the secondary market so, in my case, it's both financially and technically irreplaceable.  So, no, I wouldn't carry them.  That's ok though because I have much more affordable and replaceable guns that are great self defense guns.

If I were able to buy whatever gun I wanted to carry and financially well off to replace it without issue then, yes, I'd carry an expensive/nice gun if it appealed to me.  Good on those folks who are in that position.  I wish I was among that demographic but I'm not.  Fortunately for me we have access to great self defense guns that are reasonably affordable and replaceable.  

One other consideration for those of us that can't just "buy another".  The chances that your gun will be taken and held as evidence until the shooting is ruled justifiable are extremely high.  In most cases once you are cleared that gun will be returned.  That said, as a former LEO, I've seen several evidence lockers/rooms in my time and in those cases the guns were not well cared for.  Not mistreated by any means but often tagged and stacked on or with or guns and not kept in a manner that the owner would generally approve of.  The perfect environment for dings, scratches and of course, rust.  Remember that the condition the gun was in when it went into evidence may be better than what it's returned in.    
Link Posted: 1/2/2021 11:11:29 PM EDT
[#42]
Exactly.  Don't carry anything you wouldn't be okay with rusting away in an evidence locker for a year.

Link Posted: 1/2/2021 11:12:36 PM EDT
[#43]
Controlled pair.
Link Posted: 1/3/2021 12:14:54 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
In my case being able to afford a "nice/expensive" gun doesn't come around very often.  I have a couple $1k + handguns that I received as gifts throughout my life and likely couldn't afford to replace them.  One is no longer made and rarely ever seen on the secondary market so, in my case, it's both financially and technically irreplaceable.  So, no, I wouldn't carry them.  That's ok though because I have much more affordable and replaceable guns that are great self defense guns.

If I were able to buy whatever gun I wanted to carry and financially well off to replace it without issue then, yes, I'd carry an expensive/nice gun if it appealed to me.  Good on those folks who are in that position.  I wish I was among that demographic but I'm not.  Fortunately for me we have access to great self defense guns that are reasonably affordable and replaceable.  

One other consideration for those of us that can't just "buy another".  The chances that your gun will be taken and held as evidence until the shooting is ruled justifiable are extremely high.  In most cases once you are cleared that gun will be returned.  That said, as a former LEO, I've seen several evidence lockers/rooms in my time and in those cases the guns were not well cared for.  Not mistreated by any means but often tagged and stacked on or with or guns and not kept in a manner that the owner would generally approve of.  The perfect environment for dings, scratches and of course, rust.  Remember that the condition the gun was in when it went into evidence may be better than what it's returned in.    
View Quote

This would be relevant if you were getting in defensive shootings every year or so, but I’m guessing you’re not.

The chance of being in even one in your life as an American civilian is amazingly low.
Link Posted: 1/3/2021 12:46:07 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

This would be relevant if you were getting in defensive shootings every year or so, but I’m guessing you’re not.

The chance of being in even one in your life as an American civilian is amazingly low.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I would suspect very few, if any of us, expect to be involved in a defensive shooting because the odds of it happening are extremely small.  However, by your logic why carry a gun at all?  Chances are you'll never need one.
Link Posted: 1/3/2021 1:26:54 AM EDT
[#46]
There's expensive guns, collectible, sentimental, practical...I'd carry expensive so long as it was practical.  IMO the guns in op aren't all that practical considering alternatives.
Link Posted: 1/3/2021 4:12:33 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
View Quote

Well, yeah. You're going to have to sell all your expensive guns to (maybe) cover legal fees. So carry the cheaper one. Lol
Link Posted: 1/3/2021 9:10:47 AM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 1/3/2021 9:23:14 AM EDT
[#49]
Carry whatever you can draw and put a round (or more) on target fastest with.

How much is your life worth to you?
Link Posted: 1/3/2021 9:39:22 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
There is a reason cops carry guns that are in the $400 to $500 range.  The reason is that they will get beat up and banged around on the job.  If they get into a shooting, the gun will spend months in the lab / evidence room uncared for.  This is tolerable for a $400 gun, for most people, not so much for a $1400 gun.
View Quote

LOL
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top