Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/10/2005 2:06:52 PM EDT
Should I go with a Ruger 9mm, one with the lower accessory rail, or a Glock 9mm?

The Glock definately seems "cooler", but is it worth the extra money? I have handled both and they both feel good in my hand, but I havn't gotten to shoot the Glock yet. I will be going to the range for a rental to check it out soon.

My main criteria is cost, but if the Glock is definately worth it then I could hold out a little while longer and save the extra money.

Thanks.  
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 2:36:38 PM EDT
[#1]
Glock 17
Hi-caps are plentiful and cheap, boatloads of accessories are available too.
Have one, love it, never had a problem with it, including with +P & +P+ loads.

Link Posted: 8/10/2005 2:37:40 PM EDT
[#2]
The Glock is definitly worth it.
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 2:45:47 PM EDT
[#3]
id go with a XD or USP or Sig
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 3:17:57 PM EDT
[#4]
Alot of 9mm handguns  to be had,but glock is the best of the  best sir.

TG
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 3:58:17 PM EDT
[#5]

Glock, no question... In this case you do get what you pay for.  Your main criteria may be the initial cost but it will come out cheaper to save your cash and buy the Glock instead of going cheap and buying a Ruger and then selling it at a major loss to get the real deal...  YMMV...

Link Posted: 8/10/2005 4:37:37 PM EDT
[#6]
Hi Power.  Seriously.

Rich
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 4:39:51 PM EDT
[#7]
Shoot a glock and decide for yourself.  I love the way they feel in my hand and some people hate them.  The compact models feel like an extension of my arm.  I would say a 17 or 19 depending on whether it will be carried or not.  Cheap 33 round mags are nice too
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 5:27:28 PM EDT
[#8]
Thanks everyone......The Glock felt great in my hand at the shop today (so did the Ruger). I'm sure I'll have a much better idea after I go shoot the Glock at the range.

You know how hard it is to think straight and wait until you have the little bit of extra money to get a better gun? I definately get compulsive and want to buy something RIGHT NOW, but the other voice in my head says "Just wait a few more months and you'll be better for it in the long run."

Well, thanks again for the input.

Link Posted: 8/10/2005 5:33:20 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
I definately get compulsive and want to buy something RIGHT NOW, but the other voice in my head says "Just wait a few more months and you'll be better for it in the long run."

Goto to a range and rent both to see which fits your hand. Also try out the Springfield XD9 which was built with the 1911 frame angle which I prefer. Again, what fits your hand.

wganz

Link Posted: 8/10/2005 5:48:18 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 6:13:18 PM EDT
[#11]
Neither. USP all the way!
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 6:25:43 PM EDT
[#12]
I'm not a fan of Glocks at all.  I'm a Sig fan in all respects.

But given the choice of a Glock or a Ruger semi-auto, I'll take the Glock every time, because Glocks go bang every time, and that's what matters when someone is shooting at you.  

I don't like the ergonomics of the Glock, but I like the ergonomics of the Ruger even less.  I love Ruger revolvers, and I even owned stock in the company for several years (made about 30% on the stock), but I would never recommend their semi autos.

Michael Courtney
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 6:35:30 PM EDT
[#13]
Get the XD instead. You'll be glad you did.
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 7:38:54 PM EDT
[#14]
G19

SIG p-228/p-226 (used) would not be bad either

i would not even consider the ruger
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 8:27:14 PM EDT
[#15]

Taurus PT911 or PT92

Link Posted: 8/10/2005 8:34:13 PM EDT
[#16]
USP
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 8:59:25 PM EDT
[#17]
Sig (highest recomendation), Hi-Power, or CZ75  

Can't stand Glocks (I've tried to love them, I've owned three of them but sold them all) and Ruger is a brick of a gun  
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 10:23:03 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

+
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 12:13:15 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

+ mathforum.org/library/drmath/images/infinity.gif

I would recommend a USP in most situations, but c'mon. He's talking about having to save up to buy the Glock, he'll probably have to take out a loan to get the HK.
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 1:53:08 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

+ mathforum.org/library/drmath/images/infinity.gif

I would recommend a USP in most situations, but c'mon. He's talking about having to save up to buy the Glock, he'll probably have to take out a loan to get the HK.

Yeah. Check out CZ, they have nice stuff for cheap.
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 2:08:45 AM EDT
[#21]
There are less expensive pistols, and there are arguably better pistols than both (depending on what factors you consider important and personal taste), but between the two Glock wins hands down.  If money is an issue, look into used or police trade-ins. One of the great things about Glocks is their durability.    
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 3:25:33 AM EDT
[#22]
H&K all the way! I was debating on which  9mm to get as well and was set on the glock 19 until I rented and shot the USP. Was so impressed that im picking mine up on Saturday
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 6:11:07 AM EDT
[#23]

Yeah......I'm a poor boy right now. I'm having to sell old crap around the house to make the money for a handgun.

I know there are better guns out there than either of these two. BUT, with money being one of the main issues right now I need to find a good gun for less.

I am definately keeping my eyes open for trade ins but no luck thus far.

Thanks for all the input though!!

]
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 6:12:39 AM EDT
[#24]
get both, what the hell is another 300 bucks for the p89 anyway!!
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 6:26:59 PM EDT
[#25]
A request, before you buy, try out a Walther P-99. You will be glad you did.
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 6:52:44 PM EDT
[#26]
Order an FN Hi Power from CDNN

Rich
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 2:06:18 AM EDT
[#27]
glock dude.  ruger sucks.
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 6:11:03 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
A request, before you buy, try out a Walther P-99. You will be glad you did.hr

+1 on the P99

I have many handguns including a Glock and an HK, but the P99 is the one I carry.  You'll have to check the couch cushions and the floor of the car for a little more cash, but it will be well worth it.

Also, get a new handgun!  Dealers usually won't knock off more than $100 for a used gun.  
Link Posted: 8/13/2005 5:06:31 AM EDT
[#29]
CZ75 B. I own three 9mms; HP, Sig 226 and a CZ75B. If I could only keep on it wouldbe the CZ. I have a Glock in 357 sig and it is OK but it will be my only Glock. Hate the Ruger triggers.
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 11:17:12 AM EDT
[#30]
Between the two, Glock.  The same trigger pull every time is worth it.  

Now if you had a ton of money in your pocket, the Sig P226 with a DAK trigger........

:)
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 2:49:33 PM EDT
[#31]
I am a 1911 guy all the way but I'd pick a glock in 9mm over about all others in it's price range. The original is still one of the best out there. Only Rugers I'd consider are their revolvers or .22s up til the mark III. I'll pass on that PC POS.
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 4:07:58 PM EDT
[#32]
Glock 19 or Browning Hi-Power MkIII

Get the best (one of the above) the first time and you'll save yourself the aggravation of having to take the Ruger, HK, Walther or Sig, Taurus or S&W back to the gun shop after you spend the money and realize that, by comparions, they all SUCK!!
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 7:08:23 PM EDT
[#33]

LonghornAR15,  your best advise is to try them all out before you buy. You didn't say what the gun will be used for. If it's for carry conceal then go with the Glock 19. If it's just going to be a house protection/target shooting gun, then either gun will work. If price is the main issue, then go with the Ruger. I own both the Glock 19 and a Ruger P89. Both are 99.9% reliable. I've put about 10,000 rounds through my P89 and 7,000 rounds through my G19. Not a single jam or faliure to fire in either one. Also you can get 30 round mags for both guns.
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 2:15:42 AM EDT
[#34]
Another +1 for Springfields XD.
Be VERY CAREFUL when buying a Glock.  I know, I've been burned by my Glock purchases.  I'm a 1911 guy, but I love the "Glock" type pistol idea as well.  I own 2 XD's.  Sold my Glocks.  Glock Quality Control has been anything but controlling quality here lately.  Cracking dust covers, slide rails separating from the polymer frame, serious life-threatening kabooms, etc...hwww.glocktalk.com
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 3:20:20 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:
But given the choice of a Glock or a Ruger semi-auto, I'll take the Glock every time, because Glocks go bang every time, and that's what matters when someone is shooting at you.

It has been my experience that the Ruger is every bit as reliable as the Glock. So the "go bang every time" factor is equal in my eyes.

Both are rather blocky pistols.

The Ruger's grip angle is ok, but the gun still feels like a brick in my hand. That said, I still shoot it well.

As far as the trigger, I prefer the shorter more crisp pull of the Glock.

The Glock's grip angle is definately different at first. But once you use it a while, it becomes natural.

Where the Glock wins with me is in it's weight and ergonomics. A Ruger pistol is pretty heavy, though the polymer framed P95's are less so than the P89. But when carrying a gun around on your hip all day, the Glock definately feels better.

To be honest, I don't make much difference between the pistols. My preference for the Glock rests with the trigger pull and weight mainly. Otherwise, I wouldn't make much difference between the two to be quite honest. I've also found both are very durable and have durable finishes (the Ruger stainless anyway).

I'd go with the Glock 17. But the Ruger P-Series is not a bad pistol at all. The reliability is on par with the more expensive guns. They just aren't quite as refined overall when it comes to the other details.
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 4:13:36 AM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 2:06:07 PM EDT
[#37]
glock 17
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 5:36:07 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:
I'm not a fan of Glocks at all.  I'm a Sig fan in all respects.

I don't like the ergonomics of the Glock, but I like the ergonomics of the Ruger even less.  I love Ruger revolvers, and I even owned stock in the company for several years (made about 30% on the stock), but I would never recommend their semi autos.

Michael Courtney

Everything he said, plus the fact that Bill Ruger was an asshole about the AWB, and Ruger continues to refuse to sell Mini14 magazines to citizens.

I know that cost means a lot up front, but a Ruger auto will be obselete way before you want it to be.  Glocks, though ugly as sin, with a crappy trigger, are very reliable and reasonable accurate.  

I am a Sig guy, and by buying used have saved a lot of money.  I bought a Sig P220 to replace a Ruger P97, and also own a Sig P228 (that I overpaid for).  I've NEVER regretted the extra bucks spent.  My only consolation on the Ruger is that I only lost about $50 selling it.    
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 7:22:47 PM EDT
[#39]
Thanks for all of the replys!

I finally got to the range today to test out the Glock. I went with the G19. I absolutely loved shooting it! My experience isn't what most of y'alls is so I can't compare it to a lot of the other pistols y'all have mentioned. But I have shot a Ruger quite a bit and I liked the Glock more. Not for any technical reason really, just out of personal preference.

I know it may not be the BEST gun......but right now it is in my price range and it feels good to shoot so that is what I'm going to go with.

Maybe one day I can consider some of the more expensive handguns many of y'all have mentioned.

And really guys, thanks for the replys. It's great to have found this site where I can get some genuine help.

Link Posted: 8/16/2005 9:04:23 PM EDT
[#40]

G19 is a great choice! I've been conceal carrying mine for five years now.
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 11:35:39 PM EDT
[#41]
rugers are generally hit or miss but most of the ones ive seen rattle and make noise when the gun is tilted but as bad as they all seem i have never seen one have any type of failure, I also read that the ruger p95 is replacing the beretta m9 for soldiers in Iraq

I say ruger
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 11:43:34 PM EDT
[#42]
Damn Glock wins with flying colors.

Fuck Ruger
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 1:52:31 PM EDT
[#43]
I'm not a Glock man, but with your two choices I would certainly go with the Glock over the Ruger.  Best.  Watch-Six
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 2:37:14 AM EDT
[#44]
If you are on a budget and look at another brand I would recomend CZ. Out of the two you listed I would pick the Glock hands down. I do not think the Ruger is junk at all but the Glock is better. I had a ruger 9mm and it did go bang every time but it did not feel as good as my Glock and the trigger was not as good and the sights were not as good and the size was not as good as my G19.
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 12:32:36 PM EDT
[#45]
Regardless of the majority vote, get the Ruger.  If the Ruger doesn't ignite the primer, pull the trigger again.  If the Glock doesn't ignite the primer, rack the slide.  I was never a big fan of that.  I don't know why everyone is against Rugers.  Mine has NEVER had a problem, yet you always hear of those people who get a lemon Glock.  Not a Glock fan now, never have been, and never will be.  Ruger for life, for me.  YRMV.

By the way, no hard feelings to Glock lovers.  They just don't do it for me.
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 12:59:23 PM EDT
[#46]
I have a Ruger P-85 ever had a problem and I'm not easy on any tool, not abuseive just work it hard. Paid 250 for the gun and two mags goes bang every time.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top