Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/9/2005 3:38:15 PM EDT
Hey, I am looking into buying a handgun to keep around the house. I will use it for protection but also for fun at the range.

Therefore, what is the best caliber I should go with to have enough stopping power yet not drain my bank account to go shoot a lot at the range?

Thanks.  
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 3:50:50 PM EDT
[#1]
9mm. 100rnd Walmart White Box for $11.
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 3:53:07 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

this is infact the correct answer.
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 4:36:37 PM EDT
[#3]
if you really want home protection, get a shotgun. But if you must have a pistol, 9mm is the way to go
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 5:07:53 PM EDT
[#4]
Thanks for the info.....I have heard that 9mm isn't powerful enough for defense. I guess that isn't true?
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 5:18:17 PM EDT
[#5]
I dont know Ive never been shot with anything besides a paintball.  If youre having concerns about stopping power get a few large capacity 9mm mags and fill em up with glasers or hydroshock.  Use that for home defense and use ball for the range.  I wouldnt want to be shot with any bullet but I sure as shit wouldnt want to be shot by 15 9 mms.  
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 5:25:57 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Or go to Academy & pick up 9mm Blazer for $3.86/50!!  Good stuff Maynard.

Link Posted: 8/9/2005 5:31:31 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Thanks for the info.....I have heard that 9mm isn't powerful enough for defense. I guess that isn't true?

Get some high quality, good performance hollow points for home protection. And the cheap stuff to plink with.

One of the great things about the 9mm is that you can get alot of practice time in due to the low cost of ammo.

Practice in and of itself is worth it's wait in gold. Especially with handguns.
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 6:13:33 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

you guys are nuts!  11 cents per shot?!?!?  I like .22LR for $1.50 per box of 50!
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 6:18:33 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

you guys are nuts!  11 cents per shot?!?!?  I like .22LR for $1.50 per box of 50!

well i know who's house to go to if the squirrels assemble and attack

edit: come to mine if the muskrats attack, 9mm is ideal for muskrats.
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 6:25:19 PM EDT
[#10]
9mm
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 6:48:17 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
9mm

If you must have the cheapest ammo this is the way to go.  Since in reality you probably won't be shooting 1,000's of rounds you could also get a .45 acp, or a .40 S&W.  If ths is your first handgun I would vote even stronger for  the 9mm because of it has less re-coil and you can learn to shoot accurately more easily.

Be sure to get some defense loads that work well in YOUR gun to go along with those target rounds and try out a box of them to be sure they work reliably in YOUR gun.
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 7:28:07 PM EDT
[#12]
Thanks for the input.

I have shot my dad's 9mm quite a bit and feel very comfortable with it. I was considering going up to a .45, but if I need my pistol for home defense I think I could put 10-15 rounds of 9mm where I want them to go. And if it really gets bad I've got my AR. Since I'm confident and comfortable with the 9mm I think I'll go that route. And it's a bonus that the ammo is cheaper too!!

Link Posted: 8/10/2005 4:07:14 AM EDT
[#13]
If you want stopping power in a 9mm use Speer Gold Dot 124gr +P hollow points. If you want cheap plinking ammo go to Academy and get Blazer. That's the beauty of the 9mm.
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 2:56:15 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
If you want stopping power in a 9mm use Speer Gold Dot 124gr +P hollow points. If you want cheap plinking ammo go to Academy and get Blazer. That's the beauty of the 9mm.

Or Ranger 147 grain RA9T if you want recoil that is similar to your practice load and has equal if not better terminal ballistics to the +P stuff.
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 6:21:27 PM EDT
[#15]
I'm not a 9mm fan, but I agree with the folks who say 9mm.  If the cost difference between 9mm and .40 S&W means you'll practice 500 rounds per year with 9mm, but 200-300 rounds with the .40, then definitely go with the 9mm.  The difference in stopping power between the 9mm and other pistol rounds won't make up for the lack of practice, and the stiffer recoiling rounds require greater practice for equal proficiency.  If you're unwilling to practice 500 rounds per year, then forget the firearm and invest in a Louisville Slugger.  

For concealed carry and skills improvement, I generally recommend 1000-2000 rounds of practice per year, but one usually has certain tactical advantages in home defense that are not usually present in concealed carry, so one maintains a good chance of success with less practice.

Michael Courtney
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top