Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/6/2005 1:12:09 PM EDT
Hey all,
Well, the club I just joined has 3-gun matches, so I says to myself, I says "what the hell?!" I'ma gonna do it!  Now, I know I'm going to use the M4gery (or maybe the M1A....hee hee), and the Rem 870 HD (kinda the only choice unless I elect to use my SASS SXS coach gun).  The question is, which pistol do I want to use/do y'all recommend?  I got 1911's, a Glock 19, a BHP, and a HK USP (.45 naturally).  Of the posted ones, I have the most mags for the USP, 1911, and BHP.  I have NO holsters (not like I can carry in MD anyway), so I'm trying to figure out what holster to get for which gun.  

So which do you think would be the best choice?  

Later
Rich
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 1:28:33 PM EDT
[#1]
I use my Glock 23 for three gun and it works great.  you should use whatever you are most proficient with.  a good drop leg holster is probably best, this is what I use though I remove the top flap for the match.  it is a very well made holster, and fits my glock 23 perfectly.  out of the herd of handguns you have I would go with either the BHP or the Glock due to them being 9mm and having the highest capacity which is a nice edge for three gun.  I feel for the 1911 guys and having to reload twice as often as I do(when they use standard 7 round mags)  and you are only putting holes in cardboard or dropping steel targets so you dont really need anything more than a 9mm.
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 1:46:36 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks,
Good point on the ammo capacity (plus, it's a good excuse to buy mags).   Are "regular" pancake and belt holsters OK?  I just like the extra versatility of one.  

Thanks
Rich
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 2:10:20 PM EDT
[#3]
those will work as just fine, I just happen to prefer the drop leg for that purpose- personal preference that is all.
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 4:39:55 PM EDT
[#4]
Rich,  I recommend that you shoot your carry gun, or at least a clone.

[email protected]
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 4:53:37 PM EDT
[#5]
Are there any differances in the rules, depending on choice of sidearm?  Some competitions class 1911's as "custom"....though they might be "bone stock".   Seems most of the "professional players" in said meets shoot 'ol slabsides, and you might be lumped in with them.
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 4:59:12 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Rich,  I recommend that you shoot your carry gun, or at least a clone.

[email protected]

Ahhhh therein lies the problem.  Here in Occupied Maryland there is no such thing as a "carry gun".  You mean they really exist?  I thought they were the stuff of legend, like Santa, the Easter Bunny, and paid vacations.

Rich
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 7:10:28 PM EDT
[#7]
Here in Georgia the plates we shoot are quite heavy.  I say anything in .45ACP will do fine.  If you have more mags for your USP and you are comfortable shooting is, I say go for it.  Everyone who uses 9mm shoot about twice the round count just to get those suckers down.  Sometimes the 9mm's just bounce right off the plates without moving them much.  For the shotgun portion we shoot both clay birds close up and poppers set out at 100 yards.  You use heavy bird shot for the clays and slugs for the poppers.  I use my 870 but have mounted a Trijicon Reflex II on it which really helps on those 100 yard poppers.

MadDog
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 4:33:38 PM EDT
[#8]
I'm using a Fobus holster to carry my G21C. To avoid the rules mongers, I have a non ported barrel in it. There's lots of good reasons to go Glock, regardless of caliber. Less to think of when transitioning, just pull, point, shoot. Even so, you'll find that many shoot some form of the 1911 platform. I don't like 9mm because of the lack of oomph on steel targets. A 40 or 45 does the deed quite nicely.

As for shooting the M1A, go ahead, it would fit in great with a 45 and the 870. I'm shooting an FAL, G21C and Rem 1100.

Back to holsters, some folks like the drop legs, but if you ever go shoot a heavily tactical oriented match, you'll find that not too many like that rig. The drop rigs are best left for carrying extra ammo for the rifle. Anyway, enjoy the games!!
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 5:25:26 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 7:50:24 PM EDT
[#10]
i really liked my friends .357 XD service, i just ordered a tactical 9mm

so i would say SA XD
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 3:33:03 AM EDT
[#11]
If you already have a handgun, why not just compete with it until you see what is working in the matches? Even so, you will mostly see 1911 platforms and Glocks. There are a few Sigs and HKs around. The guys who regularly down the steel shoot at least 40SW. I've seen too many 9mm, even when loaded hot enough to make major and then some, fail to knock steel down reliably. 357Sig is still too new for much of an imapct on the game.

One other thing, read the rules for 3 Gun, there are several sets and a number of differences between them. It looks like you're already set up for the "Heavy Metal/He Man/Trooper" class, depending on which set of rules are in use. The IDPA rules dictate what holster is "legal" for competition but most clubs aren't too strict about it. It will become an issue at a state level match. USPSA/IPSC is more flexible about holsters. Again, check the rules for whatever match you're shooting.

One final word on holsters, some of the better matches can get quite physical so retention is a big issue. The Recon match here in NC involves a some low crawls, running and jumping. Your piece better stay put if you don't want to become an instant spectator. The FOP match has a bunch of activity like running up and down stairs and charging through a shoot house. A drop leg can be a liability in some of these situations. I'd advise getting something functional according to the rules and compete for a while, then decide on other stuff. Rushing out and spending bucks on a rig and goodies that you really don't need could be better spent on ammo and practice.
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 3:38:33 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Hey all,
Well, the club I just joined has 3-gun matches, so I says to myself, I says "what the hell?!" I'ma gonna do it!  Now, I know I'm going to use the M4gery (or maybe the M1A....hee hee), and the Rem 870 HD (kinda the only choice unless I elect to use my SASS SXS coach gun).  The question is, which pistol do I want to use/do y'all recommend?  I got 1911's, a Glock 19, a BHP, and a HK USP (.45 naturally).  Of the posted ones, I have the most mags for the USP, 1911, and BHP.  I have NO holsters (not like I can carry in MD anyway), so I'm trying to figure out what holster to get for which gun.  

Later
Rich

You want a higher capacity pistol, less reloads. G19 would be good.
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 3:46:10 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Hey all,

Later
Rich

I would have a Semi-Auto shotgun(1100), you also want adjustable chokes. See if you like 3-gun before investing alot of money. Semi shotties rule in 3-gun.
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 1:49:55 PM EDT
[#14]
The three guns I use in 3 Guns are:

1) Remington 1187 Police (7rd mag tube)

2) Beretta 92FS w/hi-caps & Fobus paddle holster & Fobus double mag paddle carrier

3) M4 with 1x4 Luepold & 3-point carry sling

The only "rule" regarding handguns are they have to be carried ALL THE TIME, regardless if a stage is using a handgun or not, AFAIK. Hi-caps are the way to go, IMO. There's no distinction between a single stack 1911 & a Glock. Again, AFAIK.
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 4:53:18 PM EDT
[#15]
For good, accurate 3 gun info here's a couple of no Bravo Sierra sites-

http://www.brianenos.com/forums/

http://www.3gunmatch.com/

http://www.3gunrules.com/gettingstarted.php

Note the wide variation in rules from org to org and range to range. Some matches are not 30 cal neutral, allowing the low recoil of the mouse guns to be an advantage. Others take the power factors into account and the mousekateers have to pop the target twice to count whereas the 30cal shooters only have to hit once. Some sets of rules (especially at the club level) make no differentiation between auto and pump shotguns. Try to keep up with a 10+rd Open Benelli M1 with your 870, ain't gonna happen unless the Benelli shooter has a siezure and collapses. At the big, state and national matches, these things are addressed for the most part, but rules VARY, check ahead of time. Last thing you want to do is show up expecting to compete in what you thought is a "Tactical" class only to find ONE thing about ONE of your guns has bumped you into the Open Class shark pond.

Some matches are unlimited on magazine capacity, but you'll need those extra rounds of 9mm to put down steel that the 40SW and 45ACP did in one shot. So, the extra isn't really an advantage. Many matches limit capacity to 10 rounds, so the 9 is again at a disadvantage. So, unless you don't have 10rd mags for the 1911 platform, caliber is more of an issue than mag capacity. Some matches make no rulings about rifle mag capacity, other than limiting them to 30 rds. Have any of those for the M1A? I had to do a bit of research to land some for my FAL. Even so, I have 6 normal 20rd mags and one 5 shot for those special "down low" shots where a normal mag just gets in the way.

Go compete with what you have, from your list of handguns, I'd choose something of 45 persuasion with 10 rd mags. Compete for a while on the club level and get a feel for what class you ultimately want to be in and then start buying stuff.

My personal list for Tactical/Heavy Metal

FN FAL  7.62 NATO (irons or optic, depends on local rules)
G21C (hi cap or 10rd mags, ported or non ported, depends on local rules)
or
SA1911 (always with 10rd mags)
Rem 1100 12ga (comp master specs)

Start shooting 3 gun, but I'm warning you now, it's like crack, do it once, hooked for life and can be about as expensive.
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 6:28:08 PM EDT
[#16]
The 1911 with 4 or 5 Wilson 10rd mags. Go with a Bladetech holster and mag pouch on a good belt. Also, spend a few $$ on a box of dummy shotgun shells. If you can load a shotgun faster than anyone else you will do well grasshopper.
fwiw
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 4:13:39 AM EDT
[#17]
I agree with 3gundave. The rules and courses of fire vary considerably between clubs. Find out what yours are before making any decisions.
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 4:42:30 AM EDT
[#18]
What I use for 3 gun:
1-Remington "competition master" 1100, 8-round tube, Hi-Viz sight, Speed feed forarm and pistol grip stock, and Giles Tac sling.
2-Bushmaster 14.5 in barrel  M4A3 with EOTech 512 HWS, and Giles Tri-glide three point sling.
3-Glock 17 with TRU-DOT TFO sights.
I bought the Glock used with the TFO sights and four 17 round mags for $350. It was in good shape but a older one pin frame model. I thought I would get the used G17 so if I was rolling around on the gravel/dirt I would not mind. So far it has ran without a snag. It is nice to have 18 rounds to start a stage with and three 17 rounders to back it up.
Link Posted: 9/24/2005 5:02:47 AM EDT
[#19]
Well,
After perusing BE's forums I decided (sorta') on either my 1911 or the USP.  Just in case I ordered two comp-tac "settable cant" holsters, one for each

Rich
Link Posted: 9/25/2005 5:16:05 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
3-Gun is a game...nothing more than that...other than maybe some practice for you with whatever guns you choose. I would consequently figure out which handgun combination gave ne the most benefit according to the "rules" (which are conspicuously absent in a real situation) and use it. Losing gets very old very fast, so choose wisely.

+1
Local club rules/requirements may help you decide which type/caliber to use.
Any holster with good protection/retention will get you going. A leather OWB holster from the used bin with the thumb break sliced off may be a start. See where you go from there.
Where in MD. are you shooting?
Link Posted: 9/25/2005 5:50:32 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:
3-Gun is a game...nothing more than that...other than maybe some practice for you with whatever guns you choose. I would consequently figure out which handgun combination gave ne the most benefit according to the "rules" (which are conspicuously absent in a real situation) and use it. Losing gets very old very fast, so choose wisely.

Where in MD. are you shooting?

I'm shooting at the SCSC in Waldorf.  I went to the indoor range yesterday (in Upper Marlboro....SCSC was closed for a silhouette match) and took the HK and the Glock.  I realized I can actually shoot the HK 45 more accurately and faster than the G19.  Go figure.

R
Link Posted: 9/25/2005 2:58:43 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

I realized I can actually shoot the HK 45 more accurately and faster than the G19.  Go figure.

No surprise to me. H&K makes the best production out there by far.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top