Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/5/2005 11:39:44 AM EDT
Hi, I am thinking about going witht eh P99 or the SW 99 now S&W phased out all the models accept for the 99OL but the other you can still find, Do which would you preferrer? the DA/SA or the light double action which I think the QA and OL both are? Pros/Cons thanks
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 1:35:43 PM EDT
[#1]
Personally, I prefer the SA/DA over the DAO. Shorter stroke allows for better accuracy, IMO.

I have the SW99 in .45acp & I really like it.

Link Posted: 8/5/2005 7:00:37 PM EDT
[#2]
I havent played with the DAO, but mine with DA/SA is just fine!
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 8:10:59 AM EDT
[#3]
NYCOP, I see that you decided on a P99.  I don't think you'll be disappointed with the gun.  As far as the trigger goes, I like the SA/DA because I like to keep a round in the chamber and it gives me a little piece of mind know that the first pull will be DA so there is little chance of an accidental discharge.  And if I need to fire immediately, I still only have to pull the trigger.  Every shot after that will be single action.  

This is why I prefer to carry my P99 over my Glock which is DA only.  If you were to have a misfire, you can pull the trigger again.  You also have the option of decocking the P99.    
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 10:37:52 AM EDT
[#4]
I am still int eh air on the P99 VS SW99 I am leaning SW ( I like the look better) I may also pick up the 96 berretta brigadier (sp) inox also.
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 12:26:24 PM EDT
[#5]
Had a P99SA but would have to say the QA is better. Did not like the DA pull but the SA was not as bad. That said I traded it for a different gun. You should not shoot to many +P rounds out of either the S&W or the Walther. And never shoot +P+ out of either. Did not like the sights on the P99. Mags were $45 each for 15rnd mags. The slide rails seem to me to be a little thin, must be very strong metal? Nice finish except were S&W put there stamp on it.
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 1:52:57 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
NYCOP, I see that you decided on a P99.  I don't think you'll be disappointed with the gun.  As far as the trigger goes, I like the SA/DA because I like to keep a round in the chamber and it gives me a little piece of mind know that the first pull will be DA so there is little chance of an accidental discharge.  And if I need to fire immediately, I still only have to pull the trigger.  Every shot after that will be single action.  

This is why I prefer to carry my P99 over my Glock which is DA only.  If you were to have a misfire, you can pull the trigger again.  You also have the option of decocking the P99.    

Your glock is DAO? How about that.

Mine has to be cocked before I can fire it
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 1:56:16 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Hi, I am thinking about going witht eh P99 or the SW 99 now S&W phased out all the models accept for the 99OL but the other you can still find, Do which would you preferrer? the DA/SA or the light double action which I think the QA and OL both are? Pros/Cons thanks

Is this going to be your duty weapon? If so, I'd say go DAO. A beat isn't a competition. If you need to use it, your adrenaline will neutralize any need for that SA.

For personal, get the sa/da in my opinion. The triggers are crisp and smooth, and the grips are disgustingly comfortable, either choice you won't regret.

Personally though all bias aside, I think trigger pull is HIGHLY overrated. I shoot cleaner on double action.
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 4:28:57 PM EDT
[#8]
It is not going to be a duty gun, I may carry it off duty once in a while. It will be in .40 or .45 not in a 9mm if I get it.
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 5:17:33 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Your glock is DAO? How about that.

Mine has to be cocked before I can fire it

w4klr, as a proud glock owner I'm surprised you didn't know that "ALL" glocks are DA only.  Before you dispute that, you may want to do your homework.

Link Posted: 8/7/2005 5:59:29 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

w4klr, as a proud glock owner I'm surprised you didn't know that "ALL" glocks are DA only.  Before you dispute that, you may want to do your homework.

Ahem. Technically, Glocks are NOT double action in the sense of the word. They are "safe action" as are Sigma's & others of similiar design.

To be a "double action", a gun would have to be offered as a "single action" or SA/DA in one type or another & clearly Glocks are not offered that way. Not to mention Glocks are hammerless, hence they cannot be technically DA.

S&W hammerless J-frames are also not considered DA, FWIW.

My .o2
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 7:14:35 AM EDT
[#11]
Walther P99s and S&W99s are also striker fired but are SA/DA.  It does not have to have a hammer in order to be DA.  If the striker/hammer travels rearward as you are pulling the trigger, then it is DA.

As far as the Glock goes, the ATF considers it to be DA only because the striker is cocked by the short travel of the trigger.  The problem is that you can't just pull the trigger again in the case of a FTF.  However, you can with the P99 and SW99.  This is why I personal prefer the P99 over the Glock along with the ability to decock the striker.  And that's 2 more of my cents.  
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 4:58:15 AM EDT
[#12]
Anyone else?
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 9:07:26 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Unfortunately, this argument has been going on for years, and there are different sides of the aisle as to how you view it.
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 9:09:39 AM EDT
[#14]
NYCOP, I was opportune to firing a P99 Quick Action model on Wednesday, very very nice feel to it. Check the QA model out, you won't be disappointed.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top