Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/4/2005 2:50:54 PM EDT
What are some good quality 22. auto's that would be good for training purpose's. I'm looking for one to practice marksmanship and pistol fundementals to supplement my fullsize pistol. I will be able to get alot more practice in with a 22. and I wont have recoil to worry about so I can focus on trigger pull and all that other good stuff
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 3:08:07 PM EDT
[#1]
I have a walther P22 , Ruger Mark II and a
Browning Buckmark .

The P22 is fun , but no where near as accurate as
the Ruger & Browning , and out of those two
I prefer the browning . It just fits my hand better
and has one of the best triggers you will find
on a stock gun .
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 3:48:46 PM EDT
[#2]
I have a P22 also, and a 1st edition Colt Woodsman.  The P22 is cool, but it is not a durable pistol in my opinion.   It is more accurate than I expected.  My kids love to shoot it, and it does feel more like my CCW handguns.

The Colt; ..........shiiiiiiiiii.......unreal!   I do have to limit myself to standard velocity rounds, but that means target rounds, so the accuracy is only enhanced.  If you happen to find a good used Woodsman...buy it!  It will be only a couple hundred more than a new Ruger and they are unreal in the accuracy department.  With a rest.....I hit a rock chuck in the head at a little more than 60yds.  It will print little tiny groups off a rest at that range all day long.

I am looking for another .22 semi handgun right now also.  I think I want a Ruger because of all the accessories, but I might be tempted by a Browning.  Everyone here seems to like them just as much.
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 4:40:27 PM EDT
[#3]
+1 on the Browning, excellent little pistols. Lots of fun to shoot spinners with.
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 4:45:32 PM EDT
[#4]
Short of paying $700-800 for a S&W Model 41, the Browning Buckmark is the best .22 semi handgun out there.

Link Posted: 8/4/2005 10:31:58 PM EDT
[#5]
Either a Browning Buckmark or a Ruger should be fine.

Personally, I prefer the grip angle and balance of the Buckmark, plus IMHO the trigger is a bit better.

A Sig Trailside is a step up – it has a really nice trigger.

And the gold standard nowadays is a S&W Model 41, though they’re priced accordingly.

An older High Standard or Colt Woodsman would also be excellent, though probably also a bit pricey.
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 10:35:07 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 10:36:48 PM EDT
[#7]
Another Vote for the Browning Buckmark
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 4:19:05 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

+1
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 6:02:25 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
An older High Standard or Colt Woodsman would also be excellent, though probably also a bit pricey.

You would figure, but I see them quite often for around $450-$500.  That is pretty steep I guess for a .22, but it is only about 150-200 more than the Rugers.   The accuracy is worth it though.
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 6:19:10 AM EDT
[#10]
Ruger Mark 2 for me.
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 1:07:51 PM EDT
[#11]
Are there any good Glock 17 .22LR conversions?
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 2:50:57 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

+1

+2
For the BuckMark.

But I did just get a Sig Mosquito, I am very impressed with it. But my first semi automatic .22 pistol was a browning.
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 4:06:46 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Short of paying $700-800 for a S&W Model 41, the Browning Buckmark is the best .22 semi handgun out there.

CANNOT improve on what Bob said!!!!  Definetly the best .22LR for the money.
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 4:38:23 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
I have a P22 also, and a 1st edition Colt Woodsman.  The P22 is cool, but it is not a durable pistol in my opinion.   It is more accurate than I expected.  My kids love to shoot it, and it does feel more like my CCW handguns.

The Colt; ..........shiiiiiiiiii.......unreal!   I do have to limit myself to standard velocity rounds, but that means target rounds, so the accuracy is only enhanced.  If you happen to find a good used Woodsman...buy it!  It will be only a couple hundred more than a new Ruger and they are unreal in the accuracy department.  With a rest.....I hit a rock chuck in the head at a little more than 60yds.  It will print little tiny groups off a rest at that range all day long.

You sir, are a man with good taste. Vintage Colts are gems. Some of the finest examples of the gunmaker's art to be had.
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 5:10:35 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
Ruger Mark 2 for me.

+1 Same here.

556man
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 6:28:09 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
You sir, are a man with good taste. Vintage Colts are gems. Some of the finest examples of the gunmaker's art to be had.

Ya, well, I didn't foot the bill for the Colt.  My dad owns 3 of them, and a Hartford.  He gave me the 1st edition.  When I really want to know what a great handgun will do, I shoot it.

I did see two colts today at the local pawn shop.  One was nickled and looked to be a 2nd edition.   The other looked like a later version.  The guy asks outragious prices for most things.  He wanted 450, and 499.  I thought that seemed like a pretty fair price.  The nickle version may have been a tad high, due to condition.
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 7:57:12 PM EDT
[#17]
My Browning Buckmark and my Ruger Mark II are both great accurate, shoot where you aim them plinkers. The adjustable trigger on my Buckmark Bullseye is real cool but the fit and finish on my Ruger Mark II is far superior to the Buckmark's FWIW.

You can not go wrong with either.

Gunzer
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 10:17:04 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

You would figure, but I see them quite often for around $450-$500.  ...

That’s about what they go for around here.

I meant pricey compared to Ruger’s and Buckmarks, which are both truly fantastic pistols for the price (and are probably pretty much the reason Colt Woodsman’s and the original High Standards are history ).

Still, I almost get dizzy thinking about how marvelously made the Woodsman’s and better High Standards were!!  Almost everything milled, forged steel receivers, beautifully polished and blued surfaces!

(I’m excluding the newer High Standards being currently made by a different company since, at least cosmetically, they don’t appear as well-made.)

The amazing thing is that these awesome long out-of-production pistols can still be found at around $500 or so.

I gotta stop typing now – I’m about to talk myself into hunting down an additional one or two of these pistols for myself!  

Link Posted: 8/5/2005 11:03:47 PM EDT
[#19]
I love 22lr for training, but intead of a different action, triger job, sights, etc,  why not shoot the same gun?

I have the following 22lr top ends:
Beretta 92F
Advantage Arms G19
Ciener 1911

They are great for every part of training. Highly recomended.

I don't shoot normal 22lr anymore, just conversions.

I also have a SW617, which is a L frame, 4", in 22lr. same gun as the 686/586. I got the 6 shot so the trigger stroke remains the same as the full caliber gun.

I also have a DPMS 22lr M4. Another great training gun.
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 9:58:36 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
I love 22lr for training, but intead of a different action, triger job, sights, etc,  why not shoot the same gun?

I have the following 22lr top ends:
Beretta 92F
Advantage Arms G19
Ciener 1911

They are great for every part of training. Highly recomended.

I don't shoot normal 22lr anymore, just conversions.

I also have a SW617, which is a L frame, 4", in 22lr. same gun as the 686/586. I got the 6 shot so the trigger stroke remains the same as the full caliber gun.

I also have a DPMS 22lr M4. Another great training gun.

How is the Advantage Arms conversion Ragnar? Thinking about getting one myself for my G17
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top