Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/3/2005 6:27:25 AM EDT
I am currently waiting on my CHL and in order to acclimate myself to the world of concealed carry I have been carrying my Ruger P345 around the house in my IWB UCH from blade tech.

The other night I picked up my son, 8 months old, and his foot hit the top of my pistol (hammer area) on my right hip. The thought occured to me...did I just endanger myself or others? Is it possible to jar the pistol and have it AD?

I realized that I know very little about how my specific handgun operates. I understand all of the safe handling essentials and how to safely operate it, but I don't know how the safety works internally. Field stripping the weapon gives no clue to the mechanical workings, they're all hidden away in the slide of the pistol. The manual says that only gunsmiths should go any farther...are there manuals for gun disassembly availabe to the general public?

Here's the question. What happens to my pistol, or others, when the safety is switched on? Is there a danger of AD/ND if the hammer receives a blow on a loaded chamber with safety on? What about off?

I have heard the term 'drop safe'. What does that mean? Is my pistol 'drop safe'? Obviously I don't want to drop it to find out!
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 6:31:45 AM EDT
[#1]
most modern pistols have are made to not fire if accidently dropped. Check Rugers website or your gun manual for more specific info.
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 6:49:04 AM EDT
[#2]
Good Idea, I checked the manual online and found some pretty good information. Thanks for the help.

The model you have selected is equipped with special, manual, ambidextrous
safety levers that also allow you to decock (uncock) a cocked pistol without
manipulating the trigger. Conventional thumb decocking procedures are
therefore not necessary and should not be employed with this pistol.
To apply the manual safety and decock the pistol, point the pistol in a safe
direction. Move either the right- or left-hand safety lever downward and fully to
the “safe” position. When the safety is moved fully downward to the “safe”
position, the white dot is exposed through the hole in the side of the left safety
lever. In this position: (1) the firing pin is blocked from moving forward; (2) the
hammer is blocked from contacting the firing pin; (3) the trigger cannot be
pulled back far enough to release the hammer
(at this point, the hammer will fall
to its forward (decocked) position); and (4) you can engage the internal lock. (See
p. 27.)
The safety mechanism provides that the hammer cannot contact the firing pin
unless the safety is disengaged. With the hammer cocked, actuating the safety
mechanism automatically drops the hammer onto the slide without contacting
the firing pin. Thus, the safety also serves as a decocking lever.
Additionally, the pistol has a separate internal firing pin block which will not allow
the firing pin to move forward and contact the cartridge until the operator pulls the
trigger with the safety off (in its “fire” position).

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top