Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/28/2005 5:32:32 PM EDT
i am still waiting on a pistol license and am researching a 1st handgun. i have been looking at 1911s , usp's, p2000's, and glocks. i don't know why but i have an attraction to hk's even though i have never shot one. i have just recently shot a kimber tle2/rl and a glock 19. didn't like the glock-loved the kimber. i probably won't have the chance to shoot an hk because noone has one around here . is the usp in .45 or p2000 as much of a pleasure to shoot as a 1911 of that quality. unfortunately i can't spend much more than 650-700 bucks which is why loving the way the kimber shot was so painful.  any advice or experience? can an hk  compete with the quality and very low muzzle flip of  a  $1000 kimber or can i find a comparable 1911 for  $300 less . HELP!
Link Posted: 7/28/2005 6:36:46 PM EDT
[#1]
HK's are great.  I have a USP 45 --great shooting gun.  Is there an indoor range near you?  You can usually rent guns there.  Most will have a USP of some calibre.  

$600 +  is a lot of money; you should definitely try before you buy.  Whatever you do, don't listen to the "expert" opinions of people that hang out at guns stores and gun ranges.  Especially the people that work there.  

You test drive a car before you buy it, and you wouldn't purchase a car based on the recomendations of people at an auto parts store or a website, for that matter.

I will say any of the guns you mentioned would be decent.  If you go to a range, and you happen to be more accurate with one gun than another, don't let that influence your decision to buy too much.  Any of those guns are capable of better accuracy than you or I.  Go with what you are most comfortable shooting position of mag release, slide stop, etc.

Good luck
Link Posted: 7/28/2005 6:47:11 PM EDT
[#2]
i don't know if local ranges rent here but if they did i would need a pistol license which means i would  have to wait  to test one out if they have one. in new york you can't even touch  a handgun in a store or range without a license(bummer). noone i know has a usp that ican test before hand . i need to learn some patience i guess(wanted to buy the day i got a license)
Link Posted: 7/28/2005 7:08:36 PM EDT
[#3]
One more reason I am glad I do not live in New York.  Seriously, WTF?hat

Seydou
Link Posted: 7/28/2005 7:21:03 PM EDT
[#4]
Are you serious?  I knew they had strict gun laws in NY, but you can't even touch one without a liscence??

That is insane.  Just move.  Seriously, better to wait and get something that fits you.  Or jsut buy a glock.  Everybody else has one.
Link Posted: 7/28/2005 7:48:58 PM EDT
[#5]
If you are looking for a 9mm or .40 you might want to look into the Springfield XD line. I have the 5" Tactical version in 9mm and it is my first handgun. Similar to a Glock, but different grip angle and other differences, Grip safety and such. Glocks are incredible pistols, but some people prefer the setup of the XD to it. If you are considering a Glock at all you should really look at the XD just to compare. They run well under your price range of 650-700 (depending on model $430-500), and with that extra money you buy what will make whatever handgun you decide on even better..... lots of ammo

Here is a link to Springfield's website: www.springfield-armory.com/prod-xdpstl.shtml
Link Posted: 7/28/2005 11:45:58 PM EDT
[#6]
I think you would be happy with the HK if you have the money. $700 will be pushing it for the .45 HK though. You can get Kimbers in the $700 range and the SA Milspec is around $500. I had a 9mm USP and it was a nice pistol and it was certainly quality. It was very reliable but I was not that great of a shot with it but I think it was me not the pistol.
Link Posted: 7/29/2005 12:37:37 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 7/29/2005 1:12:35 AM EDT
[#8]
Browning HP.

[
Link Posted: 7/29/2005 7:41:18 AM EDT
[#9]
For me it is a CZ75-type guns for me if you're on a budget. World class guns.
Link Posted: 7/29/2005 7:54:24 AM EDT
[#10]
The first handgun that I officially purchased for myself, i.e not my dad buying it, was a police trade in USP .45.  The Omaha police dept. traded in all their USP .45's because the women couldn't handle it so I was able to get one in very good condition for $450.  I had shot my father's USP .40 several times and fell in love with it, but had never fired a .45.  Since buying the gun and getting used to a man size handgun I have completly fallen in love with it.  Shooting it has been described by others as being "monotously accurate" or something very German like that.  I'm not that great a shooter, but I'm able to take one small hole and gradually make it larger with ease.  I'm pretty damn OCD about my stuff, so buying a used USP w/o the box, etc was a big step for me but I haven't looked back.  Hopefully this opens up another option for you.  
Link Posted: 7/29/2005 10:17:38 AM EDT
[#11]
Surprised that no one mentioned Sig 229, Certified Previous-Owned, from CDNNinvestments.com

For $400 or so, you won't regret getting a Sig.  
Link Posted: 7/29/2005 12:38:24 PM EDT
[#12]
I'll throw in a vote for the Springfield Armory XD. I've shot Glocks, H&K's, Berretta's, and many others. It came down to an XD for me. Hell, I even sold my H&K USPc 9mm and bought an XD-40 Subcompact. For me the XD just fits my hands better.
Link Posted: 7/29/2005 12:38:54 PM EDT
[#13]
First of all, I am sorry that you live in a Liberal state with a Clinton for a senator.  Anyhow, the USP .45 has way less recoil than any 1911.  I have a USP and a Kimber Pro Carry.  I like both, but if I had to choose the Kimber would be gone.  

Just my opinion here... I believe that Glocks are great "first guns".  They are idiot proof.  No external safeties or decocking levers to worry about.  That's gotta be major reason why so many police departments issue them.  Along with their reliability ruggedness.  No offense to any cops out there!
Link Posted: 7/29/2005 12:56:29 PM EDT
[#14]
I second that Browning Hi Power idea.  At least examine one and heft it in your hand, even if you can't shoot it right then.

Link Posted: 8/1/2005 10:04:57 AM EDT
[#15]
why is it when i ask advice between the usp and 1911, the 1911 guys say the usp is huge when it is smaller than a full size 1911 in everyway? the only way i'm not sure of is width. if i can easily handle the size of a 1911(i can), ishould i be alright with the size of the usp? is it really wide or something? doesn't look it.
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 12:45:33 PM EDT
[#16]
Newyork, what is your intended use for gun?  Just to shoot, carry, home defense, all of the above?
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 9:12:36 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
Newyork, what is your intended use for gun?  Just to shoot, carry, home defense, all of the above?

Good questions?

Just range shooting then get a 9mm.  So many to choose from.
Carry purpose then a single stack 32, 380 or 9 mm.  Kel-tec, Bersa, Kahr, S&W
Home defense.  40 or 45,  Glock, S&W, XD, 1911.

Lots of good makes and models and if you go used you can get 2 guns for 600 to 700.
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 9:50:06 PM EDT
[#18]
all of the above
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 11:53:14 AM EDT
[#19]
If your looking for a 1911 for the $700 range check out a basic S&W 1911 blued or SS for about that price.  Very nice guns for the price!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top