Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 7/19/2005 9:53:11 PM EDT
I have an itch for another new pistol...

Help me choose and tell my why I should choose that one.

I dont have either at the moment.  I have never owned a sig and I know they have a loyal following.  Would the SIG make a good CCW weapon?
Link Posted: 7/20/2005 4:59:09 AM EDT
[#1]
Sig. nicer trigger and fits my hand a LOT better. i find the glock grip to be too boxy and have a weird angle. the sig is also very accurate. for carry you might want to look at the slightly smaller 228.
Link Posted: 7/20/2005 5:04:06 AM EDT
[#2]
I am partial to glocks but am looking at picking up a 226 myself.  My 17 is a great shooter.  I don't think you will go wrong with either choice.  Personally both would be bigger than I would like for a carry piece.
Link Posted: 7/20/2005 5:06:43 AM EDT
[#3]
Is this going to be a "pretty" gun (Sig), or a working gun (Glock)?
Link Posted: 7/20/2005 5:24:06 AM EDT
[#4]
I'll have my arfcom license revoked for this, but here goes:

Get neither.  Spend the money on training.  No matter whether you're a poor shot or a pretty accomplished shooter, you're better off learning to shoot better with whatever you carry now.

I used to own both a Glock 22 and a Sig P229.  Both great pistols, and I shot both of them pretty well.  But I discovered that I needed about 100 rounds to "remember" each gun when I picked it up.  I shot both equally well, after I had refreshed on each gun's quirks.

So I sold one and now only shoot the other seriously.  I don't need a refresher now, because I won't have one in real life when I need my pistol.

My "fun guns" aren't shot much, so I'm always relatively incompetent with them.  That's fine by me, because I never bet my life on them.

Not what you wanted to hear, I know.  I used to collect handguns like candy.  I still want to, but the urge passes, and I'm better for it.

Link Posted: 7/20/2005 10:30:34 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Are ya kidding? Sigs are pretty AND they work. I would pit a Sig against a Glock in any torture test.
Link Posted: 7/20/2005 10:39:45 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

So the USN SEALS picked on looks alone, eh?
Link Posted: 7/20/2005 11:06:15 AM EDT
[#7]
Glocks have a lower bore axis and for me they point "better" than the Sig.  1 point for the Glock.

Sigs have better single action pulls than the Glock (safe action blah blah), at the expense of a mediocre double action first shot.  1/2 point for Sig.  

Sig's factory sights are better than Glock factory sights.  1 point for the Sig.  Subtract the point if you order factory night sights for the Glock.

Glocks (and their parts) are less expensive.  1 point for the Glock.

Mag capacity is sufficient for either, so no points awarded.

Glocks have a more durable finish.   1/2 point for the Glock.

Both are reliable, so no points awarded.

Both are sufficiently accurate, but the Sig MIGHT be a tad more accurate on average.  1/4 point for the Sig.

Glocks are lighter in weight.  Irrelevant if you are not going to carry it often.  1/4 point for the Glock.

Glock: 2.75 points
Sig:1.75 points

Solution: buy an HK

Link Posted: 7/20/2005 12:37:43 PM EDT
[#8]
Good poll.  I'm looking into a duty weapon soon to be starting in the academy, I too was curious.
Link Posted: 7/20/2005 12:50:35 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 7/20/2005 1:14:05 PM EDT
[#10]
If you are looking for a CCW in a 9mm, I would go with the Glock 19. Best size to capcity ratio.  You can always outfit it with the G17 mags
Link Posted: 7/20/2005 1:40:21 PM EDT
[#11]
The phrase "Best size to capcity ratio" defines the Glock 19.  I have been really happy with the one I bought recently and highly reccomend it for these reasons.  That, and it is very accurate.  And a Glock.  It is so sweaty and nasty now here I can't imagine carrying a blued pistol.
Link Posted: 7/20/2005 2:57:40 PM EDT
[#12]
Because you mentioned CCW:
Glock 19   Glock26 (both will accept Glock 17 mags)
Sig 228    Sig 229 (same as 228 with heavier slide)  both accept 226 mags
Sig 239   Sig 225 - both single stacks IIRC

I would choose from the first 4
Link Posted: 7/20/2005 4:21:16 PM EDT
[#13]
SIG, no question. Case closed.

Glock should be honored to have been mentioned in the same poll as a SIG.
Link Posted: 7/20/2005 4:30:29 PM EDT
[#14]
The Glock 17 seems to have much more perceived recoil to me than the Sig P226, and the grip angle is just plain wrong on a Glock (for me, anyway).  One of you guys mentioned a mediocre double-action pull on Sigs.  I can't speak for every Sig pistol out there, but the ones I have fired have an amazing DA pull.  Right before the point where most DA triggers start to stack, it drops the hammer.  I can't anticipate where in the DA pull the trigger will release the hammer even if I try.

ETA:  My Sig is an older one with the sheet metal slide, and I can tell you that Sigs DO rust like crazy.  That's the only gripe I have with Sig.  They seem to have corrected this problem with the newer Stainless slides.
Link Posted: 7/20/2005 4:40:19 PM EDT
[#15]
I own both.....

Quoted:
The Glock 17 seems to have much more perceived recoil to me than the Sig P226

Just the opposite for me.  More recoil with the sig

and the grip angle is just plain wrong on a Glock (for me, anyway).

All what you get used to, I guess.

One of you guys mentioned a mediocre double-action pull on Sigs.  I can't speak for every Sig pistol out there, but the ones I have fired have an amazing DA pull.  Right before the point where most DA triggers start to stack, it drops the hammer.  I can't anticipate where in the DA pull the trigger will release the hammer even if I try.

I dunno.... mine if better than a beretta.... but I'll take the consistency of my glock.

Neither the G17 nor the 226 are really great CCW's... they are bulky.  If I was going to carry a full size, I'd take something that shoots 45ACP.  

I am more accurate with the sig, but way faster with the glock.  If I had to pick one for CCW.... it would be Glock.  Everyone needs to own at least one.  I shoot my glock all the time.... my Sig spends most of it's time in the safe.
Link Posted: 7/20/2005 4:46:04 PM EDT
[#16]
I lugged a Sig P226 9mm around for 16 years.  Never had a problem with the weapon, just hated it from day one.  

We're issued Glocks now.  No problems with the Glocks, and I liked it from day one.  I even have a Glock for off duty.  

That's my opinion on the two.  

Colt_SBR  
Link Posted: 7/20/2005 5:23:17 PM EDT
[#17]
I would go with the Glock 17. My old, now closed indoor shooting range had a rental Glock 17 that lasted 500,000 rounds before cracking slide, and had shot 750,000 rounds when the range closed. At the same range, they also had Sig 226 rental gun, but it broke the hollow roll pin holding the breach block in place several times. The owner then had a gunsmith fit a solid pin, that lasted for awhile, but then the slide cracked behind the ejection portion, and the gun was retired. Apperently, there was some type of cushioning properties with the hollow roll pin, if you're going to shot many rounds thru the a Sig 225/226 you need to keep a small supply of those hollow roll pins. The newer Sig 228/229 use a solid pin to hold the breach block in place.
Link Posted: 7/20/2005 5:26:24 PM EDT
[#18]
I have both a P226 and a G17, I use both for every day carry as well as a G34 and franky they are all great but NOT for Concealed Carry unless you are like me and don't give a damn who sees my gun. I usually carry openly anyway. If I had the $$$ I would get a Glock19 for concealed carry, I find the grip fits my hand better than that of the G17. I like the P226 and I use it at IDPA, accuracy is good but so is it for the glocks. P226 seems heavier to me and I like the simplicity fo glock, I do not worry about cocked hammer or anything. I had a G23 but sold it because it was difficult to get a quick second shot with the .40 cal ammo. I am not recoil shy but I need quick follow-up sots and i find it mucheasier to do with 9mm. After all this crap, my advise is buy both the 226 and the g17, and then go buy a glock19 for concealed carry, you might also want to check out the cz75 line of pistols. I had one and sold it  and to this day I regret it as I was told I would....I could shoot better with that pistol than with anything else I have ever fired....D'oh!

In conclusion, buy both..keep them at home, then buy a glock 19 and take it with you....then take them all to the range and shoot as much as you can to keep yourself sharp
Link Posted: 7/20/2005 5:30:46 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
I would go with the Glock 17. My old, now closed indoor shooting range had a rental Glock 17 that lasted 500,000 rounds before cracking slide, and had shot 750,000 rounds when the range closed. At the same range, they also had Sig 226 rental gun, but it broke the hollow roll pin holding the breach block in place several times. The owner then had a gunsmith fit a solid pin, that lasted for awhile, but then the slide cracked behind the ejection portion, and the gun was retired. Apperently, there was some type of cushioning properties with the hollow roll pin, if you're going to shot many rounds thru the a Sig 225/226 you need to keep a small supply of those hollow roll pins. The newer Sig 228/229 use a solid pin to hold the breach block in place.

The 229 does not have a breech block at all.  The breech is machined right into the slide.  All of the 228's of recent manufacture I've seen have the same roll pins they always have.
Link Posted: 7/20/2005 6:24:48 PM EDT
[#20]
Some guys missed my point about pretty vs working gun. Remember, the sig is double action first shot, single action the rest. Glock is the same first shot or last. I carry the glock, it's easier to train with for me. Nothing to decock, no safeties. I love the sig but I can't get used to the first shot no matter how much I trained with it. First shot is always somewhat off for me and the first shot is what counts. So the sig gets shot occassionally and spends most of its time in the safe. The glock is my workhorse. Not pretty (pretty ugly in fact) but pretty damned user friendly.
Link Posted: 7/21/2005 12:28:12 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

The 229 does not have a breech block at all.  The breech is machined right into the slide.  All of the 228's of recent manufacture I've seen have the same roll pins they always have.

Oops my mistake. My friend sold me his 229 because he said it wasn't as accurate as the 228, but it is plenty good for me, got a good deal.
Link Posted: 7/21/2005 12:31:37 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

amen brother!
Link Posted: 7/21/2005 6:20:17 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
Remember, the sig is double action first shot, single action the rest. Glock is the same first shot or last. I carry the glock, it's easier to train with for me. Nothing to decock, no safeties. I love the sig but I can't get used to the first shot no matter how much I trained with it. First shot is always somewhat off for me and the first shot is what counts. workhorse.

+1

There is a reason I'm more accurate with supposedly less accurate G17 than a Sig Pro.  Maybe my finger is trained on Glock and spoiled, but I am pronoucedly less accurate with DA/SA, especially in single action  And aluminum framed SIGs do rust--a big no no for a sweat bucket like me
Link Posted: 7/21/2005 10:48:00 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Sig!
Link Posted: 7/21/2005 11:35:26 AM EDT
[#25]
Both are amazing pistols.
I have a P228 and i love it.
I want to try the glock series seriously and i will put a G19 against my 228 and whichever i shoot better is what i'll carry.
Both are top notch.

I voted other 9mm sig because i feel the 228 is all around better suited for carry and it also shoots wonderfully.
Link Posted: 7/21/2005 2:53:24 PM EDT
[#26]
My vote, not that is means anything, P226.  

There "is" a reason it costs more.  I tried a Glock, I just couldn't get used to all the plastic and the spongie trigger.  They are ubber reliable though.

Joe
Link Posted: 7/21/2005 3:22:06 PM EDT
[#27]
If magazine capacity is your deciding factor after considering all the pros and cons, you can increase the capacity of Sig mags by replacing the stock follower with a 10rd Clinton mag's follower.  A P228 mag will be increased to 15rds from the stock 13rds, and a P226 mag will hold 17rds, just like a Glock 17.
Link Posted: 7/21/2005 3:40:13 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
If magazine capacity is your deciding factor after considering all the pros and cons, you can increase the capacity of Sig mags by replacing the stock follower with a 10rd Clinton mag's follower.  A P228 mag will be increased to 15rds from the stock 13rds, and a P226 mag will hold 17rds, just like a Glock 17.

Ah, but then a G26/G19/G17 will take 33rd G18 mags.

I have no dog in the "fight".  I have both, like both and don't intend to sell either.
Link Posted: 7/21/2005 4:08:28 PM EDT
[#29]
tag.
Link Posted: 7/21/2005 4:08:39 PM EDT
[#30]
HI MY NAME IS MIKE NEW TO THE FORUM   I HAVE BOTH A SIG 226 AND A GLOCK-17, I HAVE HAD IT FOR 7 YEARS AND HAVE FRIED 96,000 ROUNDS THROUGH IT, FACTORY AMMO, MILITARY AMMO, 10,000 LEAD ROUNDS IT HAS NEVER FAILED OR BROKE AND WITH A SLIGHT MOD FIRED IT INTO A 55 GALLON DRUM OF WATTER. I HAVE RAN IT OVER AND AT TIMES NOT CLEANED IT FOR SOME 5000 ROUNDS, EVEN LIVED ON A BOAT FOR 4 YEARS IT NEVER RUSTED, HELL IT WILL SHOOT .380 AMMO WONT CYCLE BUT IT WILL FIRE, I HAVE SHOT MY SIG 226 AROUND 5000 ROUNDS SO FAR IT HAS WORKED FINE.. I WORK AT OUR LOCAL GUN STORE WE HAVE BOTH FOR RENT THE GLOCK MODELS OUT RENT ALL OTHERS. WE HAVE SENT MANY SIGS KIMBERS AND MANY MODELS BACK FOR REPAIRS . WE HAVE NEVER SENT ANY GLOCKS BACK YET AND MOST OF THE GLOCKS ARE OVER 100,000 PLUS ROUNDS AND DONT GET MUCH SERVICE AT ALL FROM SELLING AND OWNING BOTH PISTOLS THE GLOCK WILL OUT LAST THE SIGS IT IS A INDUSTRY FACT
Link Posted: 7/21/2005 4:22:11 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
HI MY NAME IS MIKE NEW TO THE FORUM   I HAVE BOTH A SIG 226 AND A GLOCK-17, I HAVE HAD IT FOR 7 YEARS AND HAVE FRIED 96,000 ROUNDS THROUGH IT, FACTORY AMMO, MILITARY AMMO, 10,000 LEAD ROUNDS IT HAS NEVER FAILED OR BROKE AND WITH A SLIGHT MOD FIRED IT INTO A 55 GALLON DRUM OF WATTER. I HAVE RAN IT OVER AND AT TIMES NOT CLEANED IT FOR SOME 5000 ROUNDS, EVEN LIVED ON A BOAT FOR 4 YEARS IT NEVER RUSTED, HELL IT WILL SHOOT .380 AMMO WONT CYCLE BUT IT WILL FIRE, I HAVE SHOT MY SIG 226 AROUND 5000 ROUNDS SO FAR IT HAS WORKED FINE.. I WORK AT OUR LOCAL GUN STORE WE HAVE BOTH FOR RENT THE GLOCK MODELS OUT RENT ALL OTHERS. WE HAVE SENT MANY SIGS KIMBERS AND MANY MODELS BACK FOR REPAIRS . WE HAVE NEVER SENT ANY GLOCKS BACK YET AND MOST OF THE GLOCKS ARE OVER 100,000 PLUS ROUNDS AND DONT GET MUCH SERVICE AT ALL FROM SELLING AND OWNING BOTH PISTOLS THE GLOCK WILL OUT LAST THE SIGS IT IS A INDUSTRY FACT

You make a strong case for Sig.
Link Posted: 7/21/2005 4:53:03 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Link Posted: 7/22/2005 5:51:34 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:
HI MY NAME IS MIKE NEW TO THE FORUM  

That is the one obvious fact of your post.
Link Posted: 7/23/2005 3:28:10 AM EDT
[#34]
G19

more compact than G17, all of the advantages

h/w, i like the SIG's trigger better myself--SIG P-228.......
Link Posted: 7/23/2005 3:49:03 AM EDT
[#35]
Downside of the SIG is muzzle flip due to high bore axis.
Downside (or upside?) to the Glock is it's tupperware: It's raw and it's damn ugly.
Both can have good triggers; just different.
Both are reliable, durable and mechanicaly accurate, but the finish on the Glock is better.

I'd go with the Glock for the edge it has on followup shots/double taps, and it's superior finish.
Link Posted: 7/23/2005 3:57:33 AM EDT
[#36]
sig!
Link Posted: 7/23/2005 4:15:07 PM EDT
[#37]
sig
Link Posted: 7/23/2005 5:19:09 PM EDT
[#38]
Get the Glock.  The sig should be honored to be even considered along with the Glock.  

OK, how ridiculous does that sound?  Personally, I'd go with the Glock because it's a whole lot more forgiving.  It really depends on what you want to do with it, but for action pistol competition or self defense, I'd choose the Glock.  It's easier to shoot fast (shorter reset, more controllable impulse with the slide), takes a beating better, points better (for me) and just plain works.  

Sigs are tough, they are well made, and perhaps if I wanted to shoot tin cans, plink and go to the range to show off my shiny gun, I'd choose the Sig.  If I wanted to shoot bullseye...  I'd get a 1911.  I really have no use for a Sig.  YMMV
Link Posted: 7/23/2005 8:27:13 PM EDT
[#39]
i've got a 226, and love it.

my buddy had a glock 17 and it was ok, but i'm just not a fan....
it didn't feel right.

most of my friends prefer my sig over that glock, but i guess its whichever feels best in your hand.
i've yet to have this sig fail in any way.
who cares about the finish anyway?, if its  a carry gun its going to look like it in the end anyway.
Link Posted: 7/24/2005 3:23:58 AM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

who cares about the finish anyway?, if its  a carry gun its going to look like it in the end anyway.

When the phosphate wears off on the carry Glock the tenifer will still protect the metal. On the SIG the metal will rust.
Link Posted: 7/24/2005 10:02:33 AM EDT
[#41]
zerofixer: Well, welcome to ARFCON Mike, we have some pretty interesting discussions here. But please don't use "caps on," as this is considered shouting. Normal English is sufficient.
Link Posted: 7/24/2005 1:01:37 PM EDT
[#42]
SIG.
Link Posted: 7/24/2005 1:58:25 PM EDT
[#43]
recently i was at the range with our fellow arfcom buddy M4-CQBR to shoot off some ammo in our AR's, thats when we busted out our sidearms.  i have always disliked Glocks, having owned Sigs.  after trying out his Glock, (9mm glock 19?), i was highly inpressed.  i am now torn between the two and can hoenstly say they both rock.  i have always liked hammers on handguns, but the glock really changed my mind.

now i am itching to get a glock, which should piss the wife off!  

booyah!!!
Link Posted: 7/24/2005 2:25:28 PM EDT
[#44]
Get a Glock 34, it'll make you feel like a hero.  
Link Posted: 7/24/2005 2:36:16 PM EDT
[#45]

Link Posted: 7/25/2005 5:44:35 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:
recently i was at the range with our fellow arfcom buddy M4-CQBR to shoot off some ammo in our AR's, thats when we busted out our sidearms.  i have always disliked Glocks, having owned Sigs.  after trying out his Glock, (9mm glock 19?), i was highly inpressed.  i am now torn between the two and can hoenstly say they both rock.  i have always liked hammers on handguns, but the glock really changed my mind.

now i am itching to get a glock, which should piss the wife off!  

booyah!!!

That would be a gen 3, Glock 19 compact with 15rd mags . .. . and it does rock, but H&K is still the best . . .

Secured by ADT . . . INSURED BY H&K

M4-CQBR

Link Posted: 7/25/2005 7:19:43 PM EDT
[#47]
Isnt it interesting how the Glock fans seem to give real hard evidence, and fact to back up their reasoning behind preferring Glock for the choice defined by the original post....

Yet the sig fans seem to just state "sig" and yeild nothing to back up why.... just their infatuation with the weapon?  

Also interesting how so many of the glock fans stated they owned both currently..... yet I dont see the same trend of the sig fans?

I am not trying to make a point by that.... just find it very interesting.
Link Posted: 7/25/2005 7:24:17 PM EDT
[#48]
go with the SIG
Link Posted: 7/25/2005 7:30:26 PM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:
go with the SIG

My point exactly.  See above please.  
Link Posted: 7/25/2005 8:05:18 PM EDT
[#50]
After shooting a number of guns side-by-side I really cant say I like any of the DAO's or the DA/SA's out there.  If I was to choose something other than the 1911 or BHP style guns it would be a Beretta 92, doing on the spot comparison shooting I found I shot the Beretta better than the 226, SigPro, and the G17.  Only thing I dont like about the beretta is the controls, you cannot carry on safe with the hammer cocked because the safety automatically decocks the pistol, and the DA trigger pull isnt as nice as the 226's.  The safety lever on the slide doesnt do it for me either, Im used to the frame mounted thumb safety on my 1911 so for me to operate the beretta one handed is a bit of a challenge.  What I didnt like about the 226 was the grips and general feel of the gun, it didnt fit in my hands like the beretta did, and didnt have the right feel when I aimed it, nor did I shoot it as well.  I bought my wife a 232 before and hated the way it hurt my finger whenever I shot it, and interestingly enough the 226 did the exact same thing to me, although the SigPro did not.  Out of the 14 other people with me that day, not one chose the G17 as their personal favorite to shoot over the beretta or either of the Sigs.  I would recommend that you shoot a few guns side-by-side before you make a decision towards a gun, I always thought I would like the Sigs but I havent found a single one that I can shoot well compared to other guns on the market.  I would like to try a USP though, but I wouldnt buy it in 9mm.  I would never own a Glock unless I found a transferable G18, and I would have to move back to the mainland just to own it.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top