Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/19/2005 1:50:33 PM EDT
Howdy,

We may pick up a 22 handgun for my wife who has VERY small hands.  Next week, she should be able to shoot a P22, and hold a Bearcat.  Are there any other pistols sized for children that she should be looking at? (Besides a NAA mini revolver)  Revolvers, Semi Autos, Single Action, Double Action are all fair game at this point.

She has held a Smith Model 41, a Smith K22, a Ruger Mark II, and shot a Sig Trailside.  All of these were two or three sizes too large.

Thanks.
Link Posted: 7/19/2005 2:02:07 PM EDT
[#1]
Has she held/shot any of the LadySmith revolvers or autos?  They were all designed with smaller overall grip-profiles in mind...

I am a big guy but have freakishly small hands - I always found the LadySmith autos very comfortable, but just couldn't bring myself to carry one.
Link Posted: 7/19/2005 2:03:17 PM EDT
[#2]
Think a small revolver like a S&W 642.

It's what my better half chose.

There are a lot of replacement grips available for the J-frames, so she can easily swap them around until she finds a perfect fit.

If her hands are that small, chances are she would have difficulty racking the slide on a small auto.

ETA - Small frame + Light weight = not so fun recoil for small hands.   The 642 with 125gr Cowboy loads from Georgia Arms has been a nice combo for her.
Link Posted: 7/19/2005 2:32:07 PM EDT
[#3]
How about a Smith and Wesson 317 Kit gun?  I've got one and it's a lot of fun.  It's a J-frame airweight, with a 3" barrel and holds 8 shots.  I use mine as a pocket gun when walking the dog and a range toy.  It actually jumps a little with Velocitors or stingers (the only perceptable recoil with this gun is with these hot loads), but with standard velocity .22lr there is no noticable recoil.  It also handles snake shot, CB's, and shorts.  The CB's are pretty quiet, and have very little recoil or flash.  It fit's in the pocket on my shorts and disappears.  I have large hands, and while the grip is OK for me, it would fit someone with small mitts very well.

The only issue that I would say that I have with it, is that it's so light it can be hard to steady.  There's not enough mass to stabilize it for long shots.  That's just something you have to get used to.  
Link Posted: 7/19/2005 4:32:04 PM EDT
[#4]
I have a Taurus PT-22 I use as a range toy and pocket gun.  One of the nice features is the tip-up barrel that allows you to "chamber" a round without racking the slide.  Should fit her hands real nice.  Can get some aftermarket rubber grips for it too.
Link Posted: 7/19/2005 10:53:12 PM EDT
[#5]
Any of the discontinued S&W steel kit guns would be great, but good luck finding one at an affordable price!

While not super small, the Browning Buckmark Challenge has a reduced grip that might be worth looking at:  
Link Posted: 7/19/2005 11:21:55 PM EDT
[#6]
The Taurus model 94 is on a small frame, and has pretty decent rubber finger-groove grips; it may be worth looking at. It's also available in either 2, 4, and 5-inch barrel lengths.
Link Posted: 7/20/2005 4:55:51 AM EDT
[#7]
Thanks for all the suggestions.

My wife shoots the 22 rifle and AR very well, and she has shot a 6" Smith Model 19 and a Sig P220, but  the pistols intimidated her - mainly because they were way too big for her hands.  Weight or recoil wasn't that much of a problem - just the fact that she had to have her hand halfway around the grip to even reach the trigger.  I have not found a semiauto pistol (other than 22 caliber) on which she can safely rack the slide, and we have tried a number of them.  

The primary purpose in getting her a 22 is so that she can practice and gain confidence in her ability to  shoot a pistol, before she takes a CCW class.   She wants a Lady Smith revolver for CCW, but won't buy it until she has her permit.

We'll look closely at the smaller revolvers and also at the Buckmark.
Link Posted: 7/20/2005 5:12:48 AM EDT
[#8]
If she is already thinking a S&W Lady Smith, then the S&W 317 would make an excellent .22 for her.

Specifications
SKU: 160222
Caliber: .22 LR
Capacity: 8 Rounds
Barrel Length: 1-7/8"
Front Sight: Serrated Ramp
Rear Sight: Fixed Notch
Firing System: N/A
Grip: Uncle Mike's Boot
Trigger: .312" Smooth Target
Hammer: .240" Bodyguard
External Safety: N/A
Frame: Small- J Frame Rd
Finish: Clear Cote
Overall length: 6-3/16"
Material: Aluminum Alloy / Stainless Steel
Weight Empty: 10.5 ounces

Good luck!

Link Posted: 7/20/2005 5:39:40 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
...  I have not found a semiauto pistol (other than 22 caliber) on which she can safely rack the slide, and we have tried a number of them...

Sorry I didn't think about it for my first post above, but Beretta makes/has made high-quality, small-gripped semi-autos in .22, .25, .32, and .380 that have tip-up barrels which eliminate the need ever to rack the slide (rounds may be inserted/removed directly into/from the chamber).  Have you ever considered those?
Link Posted: 7/20/2005 6:17:39 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:
...  I have not found a semiauto pistol (other than 22 caliber) on which she can safely rack the slide, and we have tried a number of them...

Sorry I didn't think about it for my first post above, but Beretta makes/has made high-quality, small-gripped semi-autos in .22, .25, .32, and .380 that have tip-up barrels which eliminate the need ever to rack the slide (rounds may be inserted/removed directly into/from the chamber).  Have you ever considered those?

I thought about those too (the tip barrel Beretta's)... but my concern was, if she can't rack the slide to chamber a round, she won't be able to rack the slide to do jam clearance drills/procedures.  

Practice like you play!

Link Posted: 7/20/2005 7:35:21 AM EDT
[#11]
I have freakishly huge hands, and found the Walther P22 to be difficult to properly grip because it was so small, but because it was so small, it may work well for her.  I put a couple hundred rounds through one in a couple hours and had no problems with feeding or jamming, and still found it reasonably accurate despite the fact that it definitely didn't fit me.  FWIW, it was the 'target' or tactical or whatever the heck they call it, with the extended sight radius.  
Link Posted: 7/20/2005 11:50:41 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 7/21/2005 9:36:36 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
... I thought about those too (the tip barrel Beretta's)... but my concern was, if she can't rack the slide to chamber a round, she won't be able to rack the slide to do jam clearance drills/procedures. ...

For better or worse, that isn’t too much of an issue since it’s difficult to do traditional clearance drills with a Beretta with a tip-up barrel anyway.   They don’t have extractors, so trying to do something like a tap, rack will generally make things worse.

Actually, you can load them (assuming an empty chamber to begin with) by cycling the slide in the traditional manner.
Link Posted: 7/21/2005 11:44:17 AM EDT
[#14]
The Walther P22's are not hard to rack, and most women find them very comfortable to handle because of their size. My wife and 10yr old daughter love them because my Ruger MKII get heavy for them after a while and the grip feels good, and my wife has never had very good luck with larger semi-auto slides (weak wrists).
Link Posted: 7/21/2005 2:34:18 PM EDT
[#15]
I love the P22...looking to pick one up for myself soon.  I have very small hands and this was fun and easy to shoot.
Link Posted: 7/21/2005 3:42:18 PM EDT
[#16]
I would suggest the P22 also.
Link Posted: 7/21/2005 3:57:45 PM EDT
[#17]
P22 is a somewhat decent small pistol.....

you mihg talso try a CZ75 9mm or the Kadet in .22LR, my wifew like them both, and they fit her alright, then again, they fit me too so maybe my wife's hands are bigger than average...
Link Posted: 7/21/2005 9:26:12 PM EDT
[#18]
Walter makes a 22lr ppk. Think they are made by S&W now, not imported. Have a P22, not the best 22lr made.

Walk a gun show and have her pick up many models and see what feels best.

The Lady Smith is going to kick like a mule. Small revolvers have huge recoil. Even .38 will have very snappy recoil and have half the energy as a 9mm.

Look into a small .380 auto(9x17) or even a Keltec p32 loaded with Magsafes. Glock subcompact in 9mm? Shit if she can shoot a 38spl out of a 2" revolver she can shoot a Glock 27 in .40 cal.

Khar arms makes nice pistols in 9mm and 40. They make poly subcompacts too. Single stack mags makes grip thinner than Glocks and XDs.

Good luck finding the right fit,

Woosaa

Ps Congrates your wife is even making an effort. Good for both of you. Best wishes.
Link Posted: 7/22/2005 5:32:18 AM EDT
[#19]
Thanks for the replies everyone.  The local gunstore has an indoor range and has been a Monday night Ladies Shoot free program for the last two months.  Monday is the last day for a while, so we'll probably go again, and she should be able to shoot a P22.  She says she is interested in getting a 22 revolver, but she'll look into all the other suggestions as well.

Link Posted: 7/25/2005 9:06:18 PM EDT
[#20]
Walther P22
Ruger MKII, MKIII, 22/45
Browning Buckmark
Sig trailslide
Beretta 21A, Neos
Sig Mosquito,  
Sig P232 (.380)
Link Posted: 7/26/2005 6:19:55 PM EDT
[#21]
Stay away from the S&W airlite and titanium pistols. They are too light and recoil is excessive. I haven't known any women who have bought one and been happy with shooting it. It actually increases intimidation and bad shooting habits, in my experience.
Link Posted: 7/26/2005 6:26:38 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
Stay away from the S&W airlite and titanium pistols. They are too light and recoil is excessive. I haven't known any women who have bought one and been happy with shooting it. It actually increases intimidation and bad shooting habits, in my experience.

I'd agree with the exception of the 317 in .22lr.  It's a pussycat.  And even better is the 317 kit gun.  If there is a problem it is that it is almost too light to hold steady.  Even with velocitors, the recoil is negligable.  If you are worried, you can use CB's.  
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 5:04:51 AM EDT
[#23]
Update:

We got a used (97%) Buckmark Micro Standard.  4" heavy barrel, slim plastic grips, the balance and fit were just right for her.  The target and hunter Buckmark models had grips that were way too large.  It came down to the Buckmark Micro, the Buckmark Challenge (she didn't like the checkered grip panels), and a Ruger Single Six (she thought the single action grip felt strange).

The price was right too - $170 even.

Thanks for all the replies and suggestions!

J.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top