Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/8/2005 4:57:13 PM EDT
Headed to the big sandbox in a couple of months and looking for a good drop leg holster for my M9...

Ideas?
Link Posted: 7/8/2005 5:51:53 PM EDT
[#1]
I have this one

best holster I've ever owned, period.  the top flap can be removed if you wish.

better link for London Bridge Trading Company
Link Posted: 7/8/2005 8:09:19 PM EDT
[#2]
All the cool kids use the Safariland 6004.
Link Posted: 7/8/2005 9:48:14 PM EDT
[#3]
The 6004 is the gold standard.  But with all that sand, you may want something with a flap.
Link Posted: 7/9/2005 2:32:27 AM EDT
[#4]
Buy a Safariland 6004 -- you won't be disappointed.

There is a drop-leg accessory for the Bianchi M12 (aka UM84) but I never could warm up to it.

The M12 holster is excellent at keeping the M9 fairly clean, although fine dust will get into anything after a while, so clean it frequently and buy some new factory Beretta, MDS, or MecGar mags now -- for yourself and your friends. The downside of the M12 is speed in drawing. The Safariland 6004 really shines there.
Link Posted: 7/9/2005 2:48:13 AM EDT
[#5]
I have only one problem with the Safriland 6004 and that's from the rig shift around on my leg.  Sinching the straps isn't the solution but put a thin layer of ribbed rubber under the rig/straps works wonders.  We use the holster for the M9 or M1911.

I still use my M12 with the rigged extender.  Hardly ever use the leg strap for the holster is also in the same spot.  Bianchi also makes a thumb strap for the M12 that I use occasinally.  Since my sidearm is my secondary and I fight with my long guns I like the full flap for the security.

For day to day activities on the compound I have a Kydex (Uncle Mikes) belt holster that does great work. Only put on the drop rig (on seperate web belt with mags and M7 bayonet) when going outside the wire.

Just my two cents.

CD
Link Posted: 7/9/2005 5:17:44 AM EDT
[#6]
I used a 6004 in Afghanistan. It is a good holster, rigid and quick in operation. It can be uncomfortable though at times, especially in the heat. Sand was an issue at times for us, especially down at Khandahar, but wasnt nearly as bad as what you run into in Iraq or on the Arabian Penn.  Alot of guys are buying the Blackhawk Spec Ops holster(It has a flap) or the Omega drop leg holster. They are both good holsters. Id try them all and see what works best(with your LBE/gear on...).
Link Posted: 7/9/2005 7:19:12 AM EDT
[#7]
I have a 6004 for the range, and I love it.  However, with all the sand and everything, I would think you'd want your weapon as covered as possible, reducing possibility of sand getting lodged in the barrel or other working parts.  i would go with something that is closed on the bottom, and has a flap.  It will keep your weapon cleaner, and will have less of the chance of reliabilty problems due to the fine sand in Iraq being lodged in the moving parts.

This is what most of the Staff NCO's that carry a sidearm in Iraq have told me.  I don't carry a sidearm however (or even a weapon at all) so I wouldn't know from personal experience, it just seems to make sense.
Link Posted: 7/9/2005 7:25:28 AM EDT
[#8]
G-Code SOC Rig. . . .
Link Posted: 7/9/2005 2:28:53 PM EDT
[#9]
Ideally I'd like one that will keep as much sand out as possible.

Quoted:
I have this one

How much does one of those run?

Anyone have experience with one of these?
https://www.highspeedgearinc.com/proddetail.asp?prod=HSG-FH
Link Posted: 7/9/2005 6:47:57 PM EDT
[#10]
HSG, Highspeed Gear drop leg holster with a G-Code SOC insert.

Link Posted: 7/10/2005 8:38:30 AM EDT
[#11]
you may want to consider something different all together- we were issued the blackhawk thigh rig which ain't bad- hate that its made in vietnam however.
we found that with the narrow seats in hummers that most anyone who went on patrol ended up putting pistol in a holster attached to body armor cross draw style gave you a little more seat room as a medic I also wear a drop leg medic pouch on the opposite leg adding to the bulk.
Most of the fobbits who wore a pistol but never left the gate wear a local produced cheap copy of the jackass style galco shoulder rig- which leaves a pistol pointing at everyone behind them- I hate that! some have suggested they not be allowed but since it seems to be the stylish thing with the staff pukes it will likely persist
Link Posted: 7/10/2005 8:52:01 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Ideally I'd like one that will keep as much sand out as possible.

Quoted:
I have this one

How much does one of those run?

IIRC it was in the $100-$150 range.  worth every penny in my opinion, far better than any other drop leg I've ever used.  you should also seriously consider a holster on your interceptor vest as a crossdraw rig.
Link Posted: 7/10/2005 9:36:37 AM EDT
[#13]
Good point.  Take several holsters!  I've got a tankers rig for when in the turrent (easy access rather then go below turrent), fanny pack when running PT on the compound, belt holster when doing day to day admin work on the post and my drop rig for flying, other convoy duties (TC, side gunner).

CD
Link Posted: 7/10/2005 11:53:45 PM EDT
[#14]
Just a non-expert suggestion, but the wilderness manufactures a $60 quick release padded pouch for service sized autos.  It is called the Safepacker.

I really liked using this for carrying a .45 slung under the armpit in the field.  On adverse terrain and for keeping the pistol semi clean, I really appreciated the features of this rig.  

Makes a fine soft case with stowage for 2-4 extra magazines.  

Thewilderness.com
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 9:10:01 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
G-Code SOC Rig. . . .

i don't know your mos,so i don't know how important speed is to you.if speed is what you want,the SOC Rig made by Edgeworks in South Carolina (I believe),is the way to go.i have one on my kimber,and its retention is great.it's like the safariland 6004,but has a springloaded retainer, which works great. they're pricey,but excellent.i would suggest one if you're infantry,specops,mp, or anyone who needs quick access to his weapon. if you're not outside the wire much,or some type of non combat support,i would suggest a less expensive investment. but if you're outside the wire alot,i'd certainly suggest it.it doesn't keep the sand out,no flap,but it's an m9. it doesn't get much easier to clean,and one day missions should not get it that dirty,since you should check it everyday,anyway.
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 8:03:36 AM EDT
[#16]
Their is alot of  thigh holsters out there at various prices.
Look for ones that has leg  support,keep  it from wobbling.

I've  used many designs used for my 1911s.

Just recently purchased a UncleMIke Thigh Holster For Glock.

These can be had for 40 to 50 buxs,durable and quick draw.

Just slap a few stripes of bowflage and your ready  to go.

TG
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top