Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/1/2002 6:21:08 AM EDT
looking for a blackpowder load to shoot in my 45 colt Ruger Blackhawk.also need to know best way to assembel the load(never done any b/p reloading)  thanks   jwr
Link Posted: 8/5/2002 3:48:24 PM EDT
[#1]
A couple of points first.

DO NOT LEAVE ANY SPACE UNDER THE BULLET!  By that I mean, you must fill the case volume completely, to the base of the bullet. Best results are with some compression of the load.

In modern, solid head brass this works out to something around 30g volume of FFg black powder. You might get 35g in if you use a loading funnel and really compress the load in seating the bullet. A good roll crimp and magnum primers help ignition and burning of the charge.

Also, I'd recommend getting some SPG lube if your are casting and lubing your own bullets. If not, there are a couple companies who sell lead bullets with SPG lube (Bullet Meister is one) which is specifically designed for black powder.

Obviously, you need to clean the gun (inside and out) thoroughly as soon as you finish shooting. The old stuff is great fun but terribly corrosive.

The original load was 40g in a balloon head case behind a 255g soft lead alloy bullet. It produced an honest 910 fps from a 7.5" barrel and is quite a handfull to shoot. You'll get a kick out of it and tast a bit of history in the process. Good luck!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top