Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/29/2002 12:46:49 PM EDT
I want a Glock for concealed carry. I think I like the G30 or G36(.45 cal.). I don't know if either are the right gun because they are kind of short in the grip. What about the .40 cal. Or maybe even the 9mm. I definetely want a compact gun. Any suggestions?

Also, is one generation better than another? I would think the newer gen. would be better, but, that isn't ALWAYS true.

Thanks
Link Posted: 7/29/2002 1:15:30 PM EDT
[#1]
Widely regarded as the "ideal" carry Glock, the Glock 23 packs 13+1 rounds of .40.  

I prefer the older "pre-finger groove" Glocks.

I also personally think the older G19 is the best carry model Glock made.  Perfect size, comfortable to shoot, and every one I ever shot was more accurate than I would have expected. If the G23 didn't have an unfortunate tendency to violently self-destruct, it would take top honors.

I carried a G30 for a while until the recoil spring assembly broke, at which point it got put back into the safe and was replaced with a SIG P245.  Its re-entry into the safe was also helped along by the realization that it was  painful for me to shoot, especially with hot ammo and the 12-lb NY+ trigger spring.
Link Posted: 7/29/2002 5:12:06 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 7/30/2002 1:34:55 PM EDT
[#3]
I have a 21, 30 & 36.  I like, and carry the 36. I keep the 21 with high cap mags in the car.
Link Posted: 8/9/2002 11:03:16 AM EDT
[#4]
I like the G23 because it is longer in the grip plus thinner than the G30. Also it holds 14 rounds. I prefer the third generation because the older ones have that annoying semicircular cutout in the bottom of the frontstrap which on the G23 is where my little finger likes to sit.
Link Posted: 8/9/2002 12:10:17 PM EDT
[#5]
I carry the G36 and like the way it feels in my hand. I recommend that you try to shoot a couple, before you buy one.

Jamie
Link Posted: 8/11/2002 5:32:50 AM EDT
[#6]
I like the lower recoil of my 26 & 27.

Like fijfi said try `em all!

Then you make the call
Link Posted: 8/11/2002 3:21:17 PM EDT
[#7]
The recoil of the Glock 30 is very light for a .45--at least compared to the other .45s I own/have shot.  The recoil of the G30 .45 is less than my Sig P229, IMO.  

The grip length of the G30 fits me just fine.  Make sure you try one with the Pearce mag extensions installed.  It makes the grip just the right length for me.

And you cannot beat the power of the .45 ACP.
Link Posted: 8/11/2002 5:55:17 PM EDT
[#8]
My daily carry gun is a G27, however it may be replaced soon. I'm debating between a Para compact DAO or a G36. I'm in love with them both. The Para is the sweetest shooting best pointing carry gun I've ever shot. However, the Glock is a sweet shooter and nearly maintance free. I'm torn...
Link Posted: 8/12/2002 9:41:13 AM EDT
[#9]
The G30, G23, and G36 are very close in size (all being comparable to an Officer's ACP in length and hight).

The G30 is the thickest and heaviest. The wide backstrap also distributes the recoil and most people find it is an easy gun to shoot and control (funky Glock trigger asside).

The G23 is slightly thinner than the 30 and a little lighter, even with a full capacity magazine (13+1). It has a better grip for me in that the stock is a full 3 finger length. That too is subject to individual tast.

The G36 is the thinnest and lighest of the three, which comes with the price of reduced capacity. That simply means it is the same as a stock Officer's ACP, or 6+1 of 45 ACP. Recoil is a bit sharper than with the G30 (it is lighter afterall) and is felt more because of the narrower backstrap. Thta being said, I think the G36 is controlable and it is the one I carry most often in the summer (under a loose fitting shirt.

All three work reliably in my experience and it really boils down to individual preference. Shoot all three and pick the one you perfer.
Link Posted: 8/13/2002 7:49:49 PM EDT
[#10]
I find that the Glock 27 offers the greatest power, number of rounds, accuracy  and concealability available in the current marketplace. A first class weapon for conceal carry by either civilian or police alike.
Link Posted: 8/13/2002 8:27:43 PM EDT
[#11]
I've carried my Glock 23 with Novak Low Profile Night Sights daily for 8 yrs now. I have more than 21,000 rds of 180 gr. factory loads through it. Besides having to replace the factory recoil spring with another factory recoil spring at 15,000 rds, I haven't had any problems...
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top