Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/28/2002 12:48:57 PM EDT
I got my first 1911.
It's an Auto Ordnance very basic model. I've never owned or fired a 1911 before so I kept the model basic andthe price low. It didn't come with an owners manual so, how do you take this thing down for cleaning? I was able to figure out how to get the slide off. However, I couldn't figure out how to get the barrel out of the slide. Help would be appriciated.
Link Posted: 7/28/2002 2:27:57 PM EDT
[#1]
Go over to www.m1911.org for an excellent resource on 1911s.  Congrats on the purchase of one of the finest firearm designs in history!
Link Posted: 7/28/2002 8:24:38 PM EDT
[#2]
Holy crap!
The barrel comes right out of the front
after removing the the guide rod, spring and bushing.

Link Posted: 7/29/2002 12:12:46 AM EDT
[#3]
Thanks for the help. I got the take down directions for the 1911 site. I had the right idea all along. I knew that the U shaped bushing on the front had something to do with the take down. The only 1911 I ever saw taken down was when I was in elementary school. I'm the "gun nut" of my family and circle of friends. So, I didn't get to see/handle another 1911 until I decided to buy one for myself.

The "bushing" for lack of proper name, wouldn't turn far enough to disengage the "spring cover". I thought I was doing it wrong. Nope. It just needed a little bit more torque. I actually had to get a wrench to get it to turn all the way the 1st time. I have since, taken it down and cleaned/lubed it. It does turn easier than before, but does take a little extra effort. Are they supposed to be this tight? Will it get easier with frequent leaning/lube or should I have it checked out?  
Link Posted: 7/29/2002 7:03:11 AM EDT
[#4]
What`s a 1911?
Link Posted: 7/29/2002 8:48:23 AM EDT
[#5]
1911! They still make those antiques? I had an A O, azgunner, it did just fine.
Link Posted: 7/30/2002 12:20:42 AM EDT
[#6]
You have a TIGHT AutoOrdnance? Lucky fellow.  I'd hang onto it!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top