Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/24/2005 3:51:07 PM EDT
I am thinking about a 1911.

This will just be a normal range gun, won't be carried or used in competition.

What I am looking for is a solid pistol without reliability problems.  I don't need anything custom or special for accuracy, the only stipulation is that it has to be black -dare I say tactical- (no wood or shiny stainless/nickel/whatever.  

Recommendations?
Link Posted: 5/24/2005 3:54:20 PM EDT
[#1]
Don't get a Series 2 Kimber. Mine and my brothers are both currently having extraction problems at the 2k and 4.5k round mark. I think they still have some bugs to work out.
Link Posted: 5/24/2005 4:02:46 PM EDT
[#2]
Springfield mil-spec 1911-A1, I just got mine and I like it a ton, you can put some hogue finger groove grips on it or gunner grips for "tacticool" points.  The only thing that would be nice to have that it lacks is a rail for mounting a light.  There a few 1911s out there now with rails on them, the sprigfield operator is one of them.  Pics of both styles:

Link Posted: 5/24/2005 4:04:15 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Springfield mil-spec 1911-A1, I just got mine and I like it a ton, you can put some hogue finger groove grips on it or gunner grips for "tacticool" points.  The only thing that would be nice to have that it lacks is a rail for mounting a light.  There a few 1911s out there now with rails on them, the sprigfield operator is one of them.  Pics of both styles:
www.springfield-armory.com/images/pistols/a1/PB9108L.jpg
www.springfield-armory.com/images/pistols/a1/PX9105ML.jpg

The bottom one is fine just the way it is.  Any downside to the ambi safety?
Link Posted: 5/24/2005 4:05:20 PM EDT
[#4]
I would look for a Springfield Custom Loaded full size PX9109L. It's probably the best deal going for a full sized 1911. My local dealer has them for $630. It has features like; real Novak low mount night sights, beavertail grip safety, and ambi thumb safety. Options like this on a forged frame and slide 1911 for less than $700 is hard to beat.

Picture from SA's website:
www.springfield-armory.com/images/pistols/PX9109LLarge.jpg

Link Posted: 5/24/2005 4:06:44 PM EDT
[#5]
Being new to the 1911 world I don't know about the ambi safety thing, makes it easier to use with your weak side hand though.  The only disadvantage of the operator is the price. MSRP $1,218.00
Link Posted: 5/24/2005 4:10:13 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
I would look for a Springfield Custom Loaded full size PX9109L. It's probably the best deal going for a full sized 1911. My local dealer has them for $630. It has features like; real Novak low mount night sights, beavertail grip safety, and ambi thumb safety. Options like this on a forged frame and slide 1911 for less than $700 is hard to beat.

I thought all 1911''s had grip safeties?
Stock night sights are a nice option, especially for that cost.  I think I'll be buying this one, thanks!
Link Posted: 5/24/2005 4:22:50 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Stock night sights are a nice option, especially for that cost.  I think I'll be buying this one, thanks!

But not all of them have a beavertail grip safety.  In the above picture, the top pistol has a standard grip safety, and the bottom pistol has a beavertail grip safety.  The beavertail is longer and doesn't allow the hammer to touch the hand and prevents hammer bite.
Link Posted: 5/24/2005 4:25:50 PM EDT
[#8]
Springfield Armory 'Loaded' or SW1911 (if you want an external extractor)..
Link Posted: 5/24/2005 4:26:14 PM EDT
[#9]
Just my opinion but for a general plinker witout all the frills a SA Mil Spec is a great place to start and easy to upgrade as time goes on.

Now understanding that these are like AR and too easily modified, improved here and there, this and that added....You might want to save a little time, money and after market parts and just jump in at the SA Loaded Level and get a few of the basic frills you will most likely want in say a year or so.

Trust me, the idea of a box stock 1911 pistol is a pipe dream, it just doesn't happen.

For the money IMHO is a TRP that may never need to be upgraded with anything but is about $500.00 more than a Loaded.......Is is worth it, maybe not to some, well worth it to others and then there are the Pro Owners that cut their teeth on a TRP as a starter 1911.

Myself, I have a SS TRP, TRP Operator and a SA Lwt Compact and could be happier with all of them.

Note, all 1911's DO Have Grip Safeties.........Mil Spec has a regular GI style where the Loaded and better come with what is called a Beaver Tail.

The Beaver Tail for the most part have elongated thumb gaurd as well as a Memory nub to make sure it is depessed completely.

Karsten

Link Posted: 5/24/2005 4:30:36 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Yes they do, but not all of them are beavertails.
Link Posted: 5/25/2005 2:21:30 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
www.springfield-armory.com/images/pistols/PB9108LLarge.jpg
www.springfield-armory.com/images/pistols/PX9105MLLarge.jpg

+1
Link Posted: 5/25/2005 2:41:39 AM EDT
[#12]
The standard Springfield GI model will serve well as a plinker.   I'm up around 1K on mine without a single hiccup of any sort.  Best part was $399 OTD.  I plan to leave it completely stock.   Of course it's my 3rd 1911 so I can handle it remaining in stock trim.   I'm so pleased with the GI that I plan to buy another of the same model.  
Link Posted: 5/25/2005 4:20:37 AM EDT
[#13]
How many custom features do you want?   I don't think you can beat a Kimber if you want the goodies.

I've got 4 Kimbers now and they all work great.  1 series I, 3 series II.  (2) external extractors, (2) internal.

Springfield gets pretty good reviews as well.
Link Posted: 5/25/2005 4:23:57 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Smart move.
Link Posted: 5/25/2005 5:13:19 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I really like mine, about 700 rds so far with no failures of any kind, and a lot of those rounds were Wolf.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top