Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/22/2005 3:52:36 PM EDT
Ok... maybe you experienced handgunners can answer this question for me.

As you may have noticed by some recent threads I have recently acquired three .38 revolvers. Two Rossis and one Taurus.

All seem to have some trigger work done to them, and shoot very smooth.

Its been a long time since I have done any regular revolver shooting, and I love these little gems. In fact I seem to have "re-fallen in love" with the revolver platform.

I have been taking them to the range over the last couple weekend and I seem to be having a problem.

When standing at the 15 yard line tap-tap-tapping away at paper I chew the center out of the target no problem.

Today I took them out to the action range for some steel shooting, and I couldnt seem to hit diddly squat with it. The 8 inch steel plate may as well been 100 yards away... It was embarassing.

Question... is this simply due to the fact I have not shot revolvers much in around 8-10 years?

Or is this a sign that maybe a revolver is just not a good choice for me?  

Or was I just having an "off" day?  

I have to admit it has shaken my shooting confidence a bit.

Today was  a very frustrating day at the range...
Link Posted: 5/22/2005 4:02:47 PM EDT
[#1]
Well, all I can think of is the difference in the targets.

I presume that while you're drilling the paper target, you have some sort of bullseye to line your sights up with, giving you a good sight picture, whether it be black, orange, etc...

What do you have on the plates? If there is no real point of aim, are you focusing too much on the plate, as opposed to the front sight?

Just a thought.
Link Posted: 5/22/2005 4:41:12 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 5/22/2005 5:09:02 PM EDT
[#3]
Were you getting good groups on paper?  Most of my guns group very well, especially my revolvers.  However, most of my revolvers are fixed sight.  When shooting at paper, I see good groups, but they are about 6 inches off POA.  If you're aiming at the center of a steel plate, and you're off that much, you miss altogether.  You might be missing in the same spot, and be shooting very accurately, group wise.  However, when you miss a plate that close, the best groups in the world are meaningless, as you have no idea where you're hitting.  Go back to the paper and see if you're just hitting low or high.  Let us know what happens.
Link Posted: 5/22/2005 5:53:21 PM EDT
[#4]
Yeah I was getting GREAT groups on paper... and my sights are adjustable.  I was able to hit the steel when I slowed down some... I guess maybe I just need more revolver practice... and I guess getting frustrated didnt help much either.
Link Posted: 5/22/2005 6:00:50 PM EDT
[#5]
what distance are the steel targets at???  Because even though it don't seem like it, there's a big difference between 15 and 25 yards.  At least for me!
Link Posted: 5/22/2005 7:08:00 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
what distance are the steel targets at???  Because even though it don't seem like it, there's a big difference between 15 and 25 yards.  At least for me!

~10 yards
Link Posted: 5/23/2005 7:30:11 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 5/23/2005 7:26:55 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
I suppose you're shooting DA throughout, right?  You're not cocking the hammer to shoot at paper?

Correct.
Link Posted: 5/23/2005 7:39:37 PM EDT
[#9]
I shot IPSC/USPSA and it is supprising how people can double tap a piece of paper dead center, but can't hit a 8-12" plate at 10yards. I've seen shooter miss with several shots at the same plate. I think it is the focus or lack of it. I took one friend to an all steel match and he missed one plate with 12 rounds before knocking it over.
Link Posted: 5/24/2005 8:49:56 AM EDT
[#10]
I shot IPSC and NRA Action Pistol for years. Paper was no biggy even out at the 50 yards on the long stages.

Send me to the falling plates and even on the short stages I couldn't hit but about 50% of them. Even wose was hitting a Stop Plate at a IPSC or Pin and Steel Match.

I guess them steek plates scared me but I had no problem with Poppers.

Karsten  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top