Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/21/2005 7:13:59 PM EDT
I am looking for a good holster for a 4 inch revolver for CCW... suggestions?
Link Posted: 5/21/2005 7:33:43 PM EDT
[#1]
Your body build is gonna determine what sort of holster will work best. Generally speaking, you short & stocky? Tall & thin? Tall & stocky? Different body styles lend themselves better to one design over another.

Also, will this holster be used for driving, sitting, etc. as well? A 4" bbl will need to ride fairly high from your hip's pivot point when you're sitting down. I'm betting a high ride pancake style will work best for you & this gun. There's some new designs out now that allow a pancake to snug the body even better than ever.

What gun are you using?
Link Posted: 5/21/2005 7:38:56 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Your body build is gonna determine what sort of holster will work best. Generally speaking, you short & stocky? Tall & thin? Tall & stocky? Different body styles lend themselves better to one design over another.

Also, will this holster be used for driving, sitting, etc. as well? A 4" bbl will need to ride fairly high from your hip's pivot point when you're sitting down. I'm betting a high ride pancake style will work best for you & this gun. There's some new designs out now that allow a pancake to snug the body even better than ever.

What gun are you using?

6'1 280, so big and "stocky" (read big fat guy)

The weapon is a Smith 66 4 inch, but I have other 4 inch revolvers of similar size I will also be carrying from time to time.
Link Posted: 5/21/2005 7:44:11 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

The weapon is a Smith 66 4 inch, but I have other 4 inch revolvers of similar size I will also be carrying from time to time.

IMO, an external-to-your-waist holster would suit your build best. And the pancake is real nice for sitting in a car as pertaining to comfort. The new designs out now have the belt loops on the body side of the holster instead of the ends. This allows a much closer carry to the body than what one would expect.

Seems like there was an article just in AM Handgunner or AM Rifleman reagrding this very same thing? I'll check & look for the holster makers web site & try to post it.

Link Posted: 5/21/2005 7:50:36 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Quoted:

IMO, an external-to-your-waist holster would suit your build best. And the pancake is real nice for sitting in a car as pertaining to comfort. The new designs out now have the belt loops on the body side of the holster instead of the ends. This allows a much closer carry to the body than what one would expect.

Seems like there was an article just in AM Handgunner or AM Rifleman reagrding this very same thing? I'll check & look for the holster makers web site & try to post it.

That would be great!  Thanks Bob!
Link Posted: 5/22/2005 9:00:18 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 5/22/2005 4:27:26 PM EDT
[#6]
Found it, sorta. "Old West Reproductions" makes holsters on the inside of the holster, allowing for the belt to be on the inside of the gun, where it's more confortable. Unfortunately, they don't list a phone or site???????      
Link Posted: 5/22/2005 7:54:19 PM EDT
[#7]
I use a Verticle Scabbard from Black Hills Leather to carry my 4" Colt King Cobra.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top