Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/9/2017 3:50:21 PM EDT
INTRODUCTION

I have to be honest, the CZ P-07 Suppressor Ready pistol I am reviewing here is the first CZ Pistol I have ever owned. In the last 29 years of firearm ownership, having seen hundreds of guns come and go from my collection, somehow I never managed to own a CZ pistol. Over a decade ago I shot a CZ-75 a number of times and recall quite enjoying it. I even contemplated buying one, especially when they were floating around for about $300 in the early 2000s, but it just never happened.

Lately, when it comes to pistol buying, I find myself gravitating toward hosts for my pistol suppressors. Having already bought many threaded barrels for my various 9mm and 45acp pistols, as of late I find myself attracted to the pistols that come from the factory with a threaded barrel and tall suppressor night sights. It saves me the hassle of having to buy a threaded barrel and replace the regular sights with tall sights. Sometimes the “suppressor ready” pistol from the factory is a limited edition or special model that gets some extra features or different colors schemes. When I saw the well-reviewed CZ P-07 was being offered by CZ as a Suppressor Ready model with a great looking Urban Gray frame, I was very much interested. When I saw I could pick one up for a little over $500, I was sold! Having recently purchased an FN FNX 45 Tactical, a suppressor ready model from FN, for more than twice the price of the CZ P-07, the CZ even seemed like a real bargain.

Yesterday I got an email notification from USPS telling me my P-07 was just delivered to my local gunshop/range. I grabbed three 50 round boxes of 124gr American Eagle Suppressor Ammo, my AAC TiRant9 and threw it all in my range bag. Ten minutes later I was at the counter at my local gun store with the CZ in my hands. It was actually the first time I handled a P-07. After handling the pistol it was clear that the fit and finish is on par with any of the polymer high cap 9mm pistols from the other major manufacturers in a similar price range. Fit and Finish being a constant, the other variables that will tell me how impressed I am with this pistol, are the trigger, recoil, ease of follow-up shots, accuracy, how well it points and my ability to shoot it well. I will need to put some rounds downrange to collect my thoughts on these key points.

Back at the counter at my LGS, I put my CZ in the hard plastic case it came in which included an extra magazine, two other sized backstraps, a manual, two regular floorplates for the magazines (which leave the factory with Plus 2 floorplates and hold 17 rounds), a cleaning brush and a cable lock. I grabbed my range bag and headed to lane 12.

THE TRIGGER

I generally do not love DA/SA pistols. I much prefer having the same consistent trigger pull for each round fired. This is especially true for guns I actually carry. As a result I have spent my training time with striker fired guns and an FN Five seven (which, contrary to popular belief, is not a striker fired pistol, but a single action). In the end, being comfortable with any trigger system comes down to training. In all honesty, if I found a DA/SA that I really loved, I would invest the time to become proficient enough with it to carry it. Which would mean training to be comfortable with the DA first shot and the transition to SA follow up shots.

Putting aside for the moment that the P-07 has the wrong trigger system for me, the question remains, how is the trigger? The answer is, not bad. The DA pull is somewhere in the neighborhood of 12 – 14 pounds. It is fairly smooth and builds resistance through the stroke. After a little practice, it is fairly easy to anticipate when it is going to break. It breaks pretty cleanly. The SA pull is cleaner and lighter than a Glock factory trigger. My P-07’s SA trigger has a little creep before it breaks, but not the spongy feel of the Glock trigger.

The reset on the P-07 is excellent, it is short and the trigger gives you clear audible and physical feedback when it resets. Overall the trigger is pretty good and is more than acceptable for a factory unit. I also suspect after a few hundred rounds the trigger will break in nicely.

RECOIL/EASE OF FOLLOW-UP SHOTS/ACCURACY Unsuppressed & Suppressed

Let’s not forget the P-07 shares many design elements found on CZ’s legendary CZ-75, which is known for its excellent ergonomics and natural pointing design. The P-07 is no different. The grip of the P-07 feels like it was made to fit my hand. When I pick it up and close my eyes, raise the pistol, and open my eyes, I am invariably looking at perfectly aligned iron sights. This polymer-framed variant of the CZ-75 is one of the most naturally pointing pistols out there. When I raise one of my Glocks with my eyes closed, if I don’t remember to tip the front down slightly, I am aiming high on my target or above it all together.

The P-07 is a bit heavier than many of its compact siblings. My Suppressor Ready model weighs 28.4 ozs with an empty mag inserted. My Glock 19 with an aftermarket threaded barrel, tall sights, and a Trijicon RMR mounted on it weighs in at 24.4 ozs. It is a noticeably lighter than the P-07. What really blows my mind is that my FN Five seven, fully loaded with 21 rounds, weighs just 28 ozs! That’s less than the unloaded P-07! No wonder why I love to carry my Five seveN. The Elite Ammunition 5.7 T6B ammo it is loaded with, that leaves the muzzle at 2400 fps, may also have something to do with that though.

A little extra weight on a carry gun isn’t always a bad thing. The extra weight of the CZ P-07 and its low bore axis grip make a noticeable difference with recoil. My Gen 4 Glock 19 is not a heavy recoiling gun to begin with, but the CZ is even milder. That means easy and more accurate follow-up shots.

This is the first group I fired right out of the box. All groups are 10 rounds and were fired at 10 yards offhand both suppressed and unsuppressed.

Here is the second group I fired. Shooting nice groups with this gun is pretty effortless. Because of its mild recoil, excellent ergonomics, and impressive accuracy, it is just and easy gun to shoot well.

I also screwed on my AAC 9mm TiRant and shot some groups. Below is my first 10 round 10 yard group with the suppressor. This gun is a dream to shoot suppressed. The suppressor does a great job mitigating recoil and blast. The gun barely moves when fired. There is no excuse to not shoot tiny groups when the suppressor is employed.

I also could not detect any shift in point of impact when the suppressor was being used. The bullets seemed to hit exactly where the sights were pointed, just as it does without the suppressor attached.

SUMMARY

This is really a great gun for me. The size and weight are just right. The gun fits my hand better than most pistols and it points so naturally. I shoot this gun well and I love shooting it; especially as this model was intended to be shot…suppressed.

The fit and finish are excellent. With its Urban Gray frame, the P-07 has nice aesthetics and, in my opinion, looks great. The gun feels absolutely rock solid, and is shake and rattle free. The slide rails being internal to the frame, no doubt attribute to its tight and solid feel. A brand new Glock is definitely looser feeling than the P-07.

With an MSRP of $539 and street price just over $500, the CZ is also an amazing value! For the price of a new plain Jane Glock 19, you can get a CZ P-07 with tall night sights and a threaded barrel with a thread protector. Buying a threaded barrel, tall night sights and a thread protector for your Glock 19 will set you back another $300+ buy the time the parts arrive at your door. If you have to pay someone to install the sights, add another $50. The P-07 Suppressor Ready is simply an outstanding value.

I should also mention that in the 150 rounds I have fired so far, there was not a single hiccup or problem. The gun ran flawlessly. The whole notion of breaking in pistols and expecting malfunctions has never been acceptable to me. If I buy a gun and it malfunctions, it is gone immediately.

I just ordered a holster and a couple of extra mags. That means I plan on adding it to my carry rotation. But not until I train more with the DA/SA trigger. Currently my Glock 19 fills my compact carry role. My Glock 19 is now going to be competing for hip time when I need to put on a compact pistol.

I give the CZ P-07 Suppressor Ready a lot of credit, and it deserves it. It is a truly an excellent package with an impressive pedigree. For the price, there is really no competition. I would pay $200 more than the current MSRP and not think twice about it.

Link Posted: 4/9/2017 4:11:22 PM EDT
[#1]
The post above was from my experience last Saturday when I picked up my P-07. I just have not had a chance to write it up until now.

I went back to the range today to shoot my Glock 19 (threaded barrel, tall sights, and RMR) and P-07 side by side. I have been shooting a G19 on and off for the last 15 years, while the CZ is brand new to me.

I simply prefer shooting the P-07. I am really impressed with this gun. The CZ points better, tames recoil a little better, and the SA trigger is a little better. Most importantly it is easy for me to shoot it quickly and accurately. This P-07 just makes my job as a shooter much easier. Other than the awkward transition form SA to DA, I give the P-07 very high marks in all the important areas. There is not much left for me to do other than hold the gun still and pull the trigger.

Here is the very first group I shot today. I pulled it out and put the suppressor right on it. 10 rounds at 10 yards offhand with AE 124gr Suppressor Ammo.

No need to show any more groups. That's what they all look like. With a suppressor, without a suppressor. It doesn't matter. The CZ P-07 is just an accurate gun that is very easy to shoot well. This little CZ is getting me to start thinking about the handguns I buy, shoot, and carry. I normally carry an FN Five seveN (which I shoot extremely well too), a Glock 19 when I need to go smaller, and a S&W Shield when I need to go really small. I shoot the P-07 so well and so effortlessly I don't see how I can consider carrying anything else. I also obviously need to by more CZs! I will probably pick up a P-10 in FDE, and maybe a suppressor ready P-10 as well once they are available :)
Link Posted: 4/9/2017 5:15:38 PM EDT
[#2]
Excellent review.

I traded into a threaded P07 a few weeks ago but sadly have not shot yet. Guess I need to get serious about saving for a 9mm pistol can.
Link Posted: 4/9/2017 7:42:07 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Excellent review.

I traded into a threaded P07 a few weeks ago but sadly have not shot yet. Guess I need to get serious about saving for a 9mm pistol can.
View Quote
It is a totally different experience. It turns a 9mm into a 22lr in every regard except for terminal performance.
Link Posted: 4/11/2017 7:59:54 PM EDT
[#4]
Good write-up. I purchased a P07 a few years ago and love it. More than my 75b.
Link Posted: 4/13/2017 10:20:02 AM EDT
[#5]
That is roughly how mine is set up, I have a standard gen 2 P07 and bought the factory threaded barrel for it from Cajun Gun Works along with their pro duty whatever short reset trigger kit.  Mind came with +2 bases for the mags also, which is nice.

My experience directly reflects the OP's, the gun shoots very very well, with my can or without.  Having both barrels and the option of flat 15 or extended 17 rd mags is nice too, because its a great carry gun in the smaller config.
Link Posted: 4/16/2017 8:13:20 AM EDT
[#6]
I might pick up one of these and get the slide milled.
Link Posted: 4/16/2017 10:22:11 AM EDT
[#7]
I understand the CZ line of pistols are good pistols and they have a few smiths that can rework the trigger so with that said- How could anyone actually like a 12-14lb trigger pull on a carry pistol ?
Link Posted: 4/16/2017 12:00:52 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I understand the CZ line of pistols are good pistols and they have a few smiths that can rework the trigger so with that said- How could anyone actually like a 12-14lb trigger pull on a carry pistol ?
View Quote
Thats higher than mine came, but Cajun Gun Works as well as a couple very simple adjustments make the P07 the favorite gun I have.
Link Posted: 4/16/2017 2:18:40 PM EDT
[#9]
The p07 is the only cz I ogle. I've shot a bunch with CGW trigger work to stock and was never impressed. Then one day while I was RSOing a shooter had a bone stock p07. It was older with no work done. He said after 2-3k rounds the trigger finally felt good.

It might take a while but I'll get one someday.

It really splits the difference between my g19 and m9a1 compact.
Link Posted: 4/16/2017 3:26:05 PM EDT
[#10]
Man I want one of these...But, someone I know had a catastrophic failure. Firing pin broke. Seems to be an isolated event.
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 6:34:46 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
It is a totally different experience. It turns a 9mm into a 22lr in every regard except for terminal performance.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Excellent review.

Finally got around to shooting mine on Saturday and it's my new favorite pistol. Accuracy, for me atleast, was great. Someone at the range let me borrow their 9mm can and you're right, sub ammo felt like a 22lr. Only thing I don't like is the decocker and slide release being so close

ETA - Where did you get your thread protector from?
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 3:37:09 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Finally got around to shooting mine on Saturday and it's my new favorite pistol. Accuracy, for me atleast, was great. Someone at the range let me borrow their 9mm can and you're right, sub ammo felt like a 22lr. Only thing I don't like is the decocker and slide release being so close

ETA - Where did you get your thread protector from?
View Quote
BACKUP TACTICAL

They have tons of different style thread protectors, in lots of different thread pitches. They are also releasing colored Glock 19 threaded barrels in the same colors as their thread protectors.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top