Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/20/2005 7:44:21 PM EDT
As far as which one is just plain better as far reliability, quality, better fit? Accuracy doesn't matter to me as I'm sure both guns are far more accurate than I'll ever be. I'm not looking at value either. The difference is about $200 where I would purchase it so it doesn't really matter. I would use it for general target shooting. I don't compete yet but I'm interested in doing some IDPA matches in the future but I'm not buying the gun specially for that.  Has anyone shot both or own both guns? What do you think?
Link Posted: 5/20/2005 8:26:08 PM EDT
[#1]
There are some significant design differences between the two, but the biggest one IMHO is that the Kimber Tactical has an aluminum frame and is much lighter. The aluminum isn't as strong as the steel frames but the question is -- is is strong enough for what you're going to put through it? For the low round count in IDPA matches plus general target shooting the aluminum should hold up fine.

They both have advantages/disadvantages, but having had both -- I'd say flip a coin.

FWIW I still have the Tactical and wish I still had the TRP too.
Link Posted: 5/20/2005 8:28:08 PM EDT
[#2]
I'd personally be partial to the Kimber...since I fell in love with a Kimber TLE II after firing it the first time...to bad it's not mine :(

Both would do you good though and both are worthy guns.
Link Posted: 5/21/2005 6:03:52 AM EDT
[#3]
This is alot like a choice between Lamborghini and Ferarri.  Sure there are noticable differences and people have different opinions, but both are kickass.  If there's one you prefer for yourself, jump on it, because you won't be disappointed.

I prefer Springfield Armory, and, uh, Ferrari, in case you're curious.
Link Posted: 5/21/2005 9:41:07 AM EDT
[#4]
Why hasn't anybody mentioned the actual differences in these guns?  The Kimber has a firing pin safety that is actuated by the grip safety.  Personally, I hate this "feature".  If you don't grip the gun properly, you may fail to fully engage the grip safety and while the hammer may fall, the firing pin may not move.  Furthermore, look at the shape of the grip safety.  The Kimber has a tang that is distinctly lower than the SA.  This is very uncomfortable for many guys who ride the thumb safety.  It is uncomfortable enough in some hands, that it tneds to encourage you to shift your grip.  In doing so, you may not have full contact with the grip safety.

The Kimber also has an external extractor.  Some folks like that, but I've never been impressed.
Link Posted: 5/21/2005 5:50:16 PM EDT
[#5]
Both are fine guns. Try the fitment for your hand. Get the one that fits best. What works for others does not necessarily work for you. Consider the fine input in these replies and look for that as you feel each gun. Personally I use a Kimber Warrior. It is that good feel thing. My next will be a Springfield Armory Rob Leatham custom. So you can see I, too, like products from these two companies.
Link Posted: 5/21/2005 7:26:47 PM EDT
[#6]
I have had a SA TRP Operator since before they were a house hold word and Glock was the only pistol with a rail.

I also have a SA SS TRP and they have both been flawless from day one without any FTF/FTE or even a stove pipe. Other than this one time when some nit wit loaded a bunch of ammo a little to long

Besides the above mentioned firing pin safety issues and extractor........the big diffence is personal preffence and cosmetic. SA has sharp, criso lines and Kimber has a smoother rounded look.

As for the TRP Operator, I don't think it is a IDPA Approved or what ever they call it these days. Maybe things have changed over the past year but it used to be frowned upon for some reason.

Karsten
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top