Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/19/2005 6:39:51 PM EDT
I was at a gun store today and checking out some new Browning HP's.  I saw a Charles Daly HP.  The price attracted me and the made in USA marking on the frame.  I checked one out and they seem to be solid and well made. Are the frames and slide of this HP forged or cast? Is it worth getting one of this HP?   Any reviews would be greatly appreciated.

556man
Link Posted: 5/19/2005 11:46:27 PM EDT
[#1]
I have one and like it very much. I have shot about three hundred rounds through it with no problems yet. I just picked up a pair of houge wraparound grips for it today. The thing I do not like about it is the trigger mag saftey deal but I guess that is a standard Hi power thing. It is not as smooth as my 92FS but I am happy with it and I am glad I purchased it. I got mine for about $400 out the door I think after tax and all that or a lttle over $400. The only problem I have read about is one guy said his sights drifted a bit but they have not on mine and I like the XS sights it comes with. I'm sure you will get the regular "Its trash because it was not $700" or something like that. It is probably not as nice as a $700 pistol eather but then again not many $400 pistols are. I would take it over the Ruger, Several Smiths that I had especialy the .40 Sigma and probably the Witness I had and I liked my Witness. I picked it up because I wanted a Hi-Power clone and I wanted a 9mm that I could shoot for fun and find parts for easy. I have some Argentine mags that I picked up for it and with a little tweaking on the mag they work great. If I was going to use it for self defense I would probably get some of the browning mags with the springs on them that make the mag drop free.  
Link Posted: 5/20/2005 5:50:48 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
I have one and like it very much. I have shot about three hundred rounds through it with no problems yet. I just picked up a pair of houge wraparound grips for it today. The thing I do not like about it is the trigger mag saftey deal but I guess that is a standard Hi power thing. It is not as smooth as my 92FS but I am happy with it and I am glad I purchased it. I got mine for about $400 out the door I think after tax and all that or a lttle over $400. The only problem I have read about is one guy said his sights drifted a bit but they have not on mine and I like the XS sights it comes with. I'm sure you will get the regular "Its trash because it was not $700" or something like that. It is probably not as nice as a $700 pistol eather but then again not many $400 pistols are. I would take it over the Ruger, Several Smiths that I had especialy the .40 Sigma and probably the Witness I had and I liked my Witness. I picked it up because I wanted a Hi-Power clone and I wanted a 9mm that I could shoot for fun and find parts for easy. I have some Argentine mags that I picked up for it and with a little tweaking on the mag they work great. If I was going to use it for self defense I would probably get some of the browning mags with the springs on them that make the mag drop free.  

Thank you GenghisKhan for your input .  Appreciate it.  You had a good price on your CD HP.  The gun store I went to wanted $499.00 for it.  That store here in town has everything over priced but I only go there to check out their guns because they have a lot of varieties and models to choose from.  The saying on "you get what you pay for" in a gun is very true but once in a rare while it's not true.  I had a Bersa .380 that I got for $199.00 and it's very reliable and I would trust it with my life.  I'm glad you're happy with your CD HP. If the frame and slide is forged I would buy one.  The only thing I don't like with it is the huge "Charles Daly"  marking on the slide. I'm just going to get this as a shooter for I like the HP's.  

Thanks again,
556man

Link Posted: 5/20/2005 6:18:55 AM EDT
[#3]
I've never held one - but for $400-$500, I think I'd wait, if I were you, on a nice used browning or FN hi-power.

Not long ago, CDNN had FN hi-powers for $399. Pay shipping, dealer fees, etc, and you're still less than $500 - and you have a gun that you don't have to worry abour resale value, or reliabllity...
Link Posted: 5/20/2005 6:41:44 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
I've never held one - but for $400-$500, I think I'd wait, if I were you, on a nice used browning or FN hi-power.

Not long ago, CDNN had FN hi-powers for $399. Pay shipping, dealer fees, etc, and you're still less than $500 - and you have a gun that you don't have to worry abour resale value, or reliabllity...

Thanks arowneragain for your input.  I was checking the CDNN website yesterday and did not see any Browning HP.  I remember about a tread that CDNN had a deal on HP a while ago but I guess they are out.  At that price and an FN I'd definitely get the FN over the CD.

Thanks,
556man
Link Posted: 5/20/2005 6:50:53 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Thanks arowneragain for your input.  I was checking the CDNN website yesterday and did not see any Browning HP.  I remember about a tread that CDNN had a deal on HP a while ago but I guess they are out.  At that price and an FN I'd definitely get the FN over the CD.

Thanks,
556man

You have to download the PDF catalog. They do not list their firearms on their website.

FYI I just got CDNN's latest paper catalog in the mail - the FN Browning Hi-Power is still listed as being in stock-walnut grips and all. For $399 this is a steal IMO.
Link Posted: 5/20/2005 6:57:14 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Thanks,
556man

You have to download the PDF catalog. They do not list their firearms on their website.

FYI I just got CDNN's latest paper catalog in the mail - the FN Browning Hi-Power is still listed as being in stock-walnut grips and all. For $399 this is a steal IMO.

That's why I can't find it.  Thanks _DR for the tip.  Downloading the catalog right now.

556man

Link Posted: 5/20/2005 8:33:23 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Thanks,
556man

That's why I can't find it.  Thanks _DR for the tip.  Downloading the catalog right now.

556man

WARNING!

Downloading that catalog may result in extreme thinning of your wallet!!

BTW call first, they only update the electronic catalog quarterly. They are very helpful on their toll-free phone number  to let you know what is in stock.
Link Posted: 5/20/2005 9:10:50 AM EDT
[#8]
Whoa! $500 is a lot for one of those. I do not know what they go for know but I I would get a CZ any day before I paid that. Like I said it is a nice pistol and has been reliable with in my opinion a very nice fit and finsh job. It is just that some people will never be able to get over the name which is fine. It is the first Charles Daly I have bought. If I had one of their 1911s and it was junk I would shy away also just because my experiance but in my opinion they did a way nicer job on this pitol. There is certainly nothing wrong with holding out for the real thing. I hate to order guns or I would have ordered one from CDDN probably. I would realy like to have an HP with a stainless slide.
Link Posted: 5/20/2005 9:26:02 AM EDT
[#9]
Here is a link about Hi-powers.

www.fnhipower.com/
Link Posted: 5/20/2005 9:33:51 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Here is a link about Hi-powers.

www.fnhipower.com/

That link has been dead for 3 months or more....

Link Posted: 5/20/2005 11:02:58 AM EDT
[#11]
Got the CDNN catalog.  Yep the Browning HP is $399.00.  For that price I'm leaning on the Browning for the resale value, proven reliability and quality.  The CD HP quality is great though.  If you get a chance check one out  you'll see what me and Genghiskhan is talking about.

Thanks everybody for the advice and tips.  Appreciate your help as always.

556man

PS:  On the other hand, I'll probably just get both! Hmmmmmmmm?
Link Posted: 5/20/2005 6:53:19 PM EDT
[#12]
I would say that if you can get the browning for that I would go for the Browning. I can not see paying more for a CD than a Browning. If you have a FFL that will not charge a huge transfer fee you could probably get the pistol $450 out the door.
Link Posted: 5/21/2005 8:48:32 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
I would say that if you can get the browning for that I would go for the Browning. I can not see paying more for a CD than a Browning. If you have a FFL that will not charge a huge transfer fee you could probably get the pistol $450 out the door.

+1

CDNN claims the ones they have for $399 were made at the original Browning plant. That is definitely a better value IMO.
Link Posted: 5/22/2005 9:05:40 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 5/22/2005 10:56:10 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

+1

CDNN claims the ones they have for $399 were made at the original Browning plant. That is definitely a better value IMO.

Browning plant?

When did Browning start making guns?

I guess CDNN forgot to mention that the 'original browning plant' was FN.......
Link Posted: 5/22/2005 11:52:42 AM EDT
[#16]
Just got home from 2 local gun store here in Vegas.  Been checking out the new Browning HP's.  I've been getting different info on the HP's.  Here are the info I'm getting from the 2 stores.  Which is fact and which is BS?

Store #1
1) The FN Belgian plant doesn't make any more HP's.
2) Browning has a plant in Utah that makes new HP's.

Store #2
1) He has a high polished brand new Browning HP with the serial # on the front of the frame by the grip.  Price was $730.00. He said it's made in Belgium. On the slide it says " Browning Arms Company Morgan Utah & Montreal P.Q. "  He has a sign by the HP saying "Made in Belgium Original HP"  
2) The Browning and FN HP are two differetnt HP's meaning they are different from each other.
3) FN makes bad HP's. Avoid FN's.

I think store #2 si full of it.  As soon as he said FN's are a POS I knew he was full of it.  I have an FN HP that I gave my brother 20 years ago and it was well made.  Does the Belgium FN factory really doesn't make HP's anymore?

Thanks again,
556man
Link Posted: 5/22/2005 11:56:50 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
Just got home from 2 local gun store here in Vegas.  Been checking out the new Browning HP's.  I've been getting different info on the HP's.  Here are the info I'm getting from the 2 stores.  Which is fact and which is BS?

Store #1
1) The FN Belgian plant doesn't make any more HP's.
2) Browning has a plant in Utah that makes new HP's.

Store #2
1) He has a high polished brand new Browning HP with the serial # on the front of the frame by the grip.  Price was $730.00. He said it's made in Belgium.  On the slide it says " Browning Arms Company Morgan Utah & Montreal P.Q. "  He has a sign by the HP saying "Made in Belgium Original HP"  
2) The Browning and FN HP are two differetnt HP's meaning they are different from each other.
3) FN makes bad HP's. Avoid FN's.

I think store #2 si full of it.  As soon as he said FN's are a POS I knew he was full of it.  I have an FN HP that I gave my brother 20 years ago and it was well made.  Does the Belgium FN factory really doesn't make HP's anymore?

Thanks again,
556man

Those guys are so wrong I don't even know where to start.

First, browning has NEVER mnade a hi-power. FN made them ALL, and browning - an importer - rollmarks them. Browning, basically, is nothing more than an importer. They donm't MAKE anything, that I know of.

Later HP's are made in Belgium, assembled in Portugal.

Earlier ones were made and assembled in Belgium.

That's the short version.

For an even shjorter version.....find a new dealer.

For the long version....hipowersandhandguns.com/
Link Posted: 5/22/2005 12:20:22 PM EDT
[#18]
Thanks again arowneragain.  I was thinking of that.  Browning is a dealer and FN is the manufacturer.  Thanks for the link.  I'll read all the info on the HP's and  maybe give dealer #2 some lecture when I go back.

Thanks,
556man
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top