Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/19/2005 12:39:32 PM EDT
Made a trip to the range today with the Ar 180b and took my new NAA 22 magnum derringer along to see how it shoots.  Shooting at a standard 100 yard target from 15 feet away proved to be more difficult then I anticipated.  There's no effective way to aim these little pistols and actually hit anything.  Of course I bought this thing as a gentlemans pocket gun, but if I ever have to shoot someone I think I'll need to stick it in their ear to hit them!
Link Posted: 5/19/2005 1:57:10 PM EDT
[#1]
I know what you mean. I bought the NAA Black Widow because I  thought it looked neat. I thought I would put it on my belt while out camping.  I took it out shooting and found that the .22lr rounds tumbled when it hit the paper target at about 20 ft.   Not perfect round holes like all other .22's I've shot.  I changed to three different types ammo and had the same results. I took it apart and the rifling looked fine. It never improved.  I took it back to the gun shop I bought it from and he sent it back to NAA.  I didn't really want it at this point , so I just bought a different pistol.  This episode soured me toward those little revolvers.
Link Posted: 5/19/2005 4:43:07 PM EDT
[#2]
I have the model with the folding plastic handle that doubles as a grip, in .22mag. Mines shoots nicely at 5-7 yards (not feet, yards). Maybe I'm doing something wrong?    
Link Posted: 5/19/2005 4:49:38 PM EDT
[#3]
mine shoots  fairly well at 10 -12 ft. I can tag a pop can. But 20-30 yrds. And yer pretty safe. Still beats pointing a finger if ya need a last ditch gun.
Link Posted: 5/19/2005 6:51:30 PM EDT
[#4]
I just got one not long ago.  During some informal desert plinking, I couldn't hit shit with mine.  I still need to get to the range to actually measure what I can hit and to figure out the point of aim.

It's fun to shoot, though.

Link Posted: 5/20/2005 3:52:09 AM EDT
[#5]
I love mine.  I've got the .22mag version with 1-5/8" barrel.  I can reliably hit a B-27 target at 25 yards.

It is my understanding that this version is capable of <7" groups at 21 yards.  (The smaller .22lr groups a little larger and the .22short groups closer to 15" at the same distance).
www.naaminis.com/grpdisp.html

The sights aren't great, but this is a pocket pistol.  I've found that aligning the rear sight with the BASE of the front sight on the center of the target works best.

Good luck.
Link Posted: 5/20/2005 4:17:16 AM EDT
[#6]
I have two Black Widows in .22 mag.  Both shoot great out to the seven yard range.  (I have not tried to shoot further).  

I actually won a "belly gun" side shoot at a local IPSC match a couple years ago.  The Black Widow shot rings around seacamps and kel tec autos.

I think the oversize grips and good sights on the BW make all the difference.  
Link Posted: 5/20/2005 9:54:17 AM EDT
[#7]
I agree they're fun to shoot.  Maybe with a little practice I'll be able to hit something.  Until then I think I may load it with CCI shot shells to make up for the lack of tiny-pistol practice.
Link Posted: 5/20/2005 6:31:05 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
I know what you mean. I bought the NAA Black Widow because I  thought it looked neat. I thought I would put it on my belt while out camping.  I took it out shooting and found that the .22lr rounds tumbled when it hit the paper target at about 20 ft.   Not perfect round holes like all other .22's I've shot.  I changed to three different types ammo and had the same results. I took it apart and the rifling looked fine. It never improved.  I took it back to the gun shop I bought it from and he sent it back to NAA.  I didn't really want it at this point , so I just bought a different pistol.  This episode soured me toward those little revolvers.

Isn't your black widow a 22mag?  

A recent thread on this topic made me drag my BW out.  Hitting a chest at 25 yds is not a problem.  I can't hit anything with the minis with the tiny wooden grips.  Grips and a sight make lots of difference
Link Posted: 5/20/2005 6:39:03 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Isn't your black widow a 22mag?  

A recent thread on this topic made me drag my BW out.  Hitting a chest at 25 yds is not a problem.  I can't hit anything with the minis with the tiny wooden grips.  Grips and a sight make lots of difference

I called it the Black Widow, but it was the 4in. barrel version with two clynders. .22LR and .22Mag.
Both gave me the tumbled shots. There was definetly something wrong. That is why I took it back and never bought another .
Link Posted: 5/21/2005 4:00:41 AM EDT
[#10]
Oh sure. I didn't think about the conversion cyl.  It's a shame that you had trouble.  They are neat little guns and from all accounts, a "stand behind their work" kind of company.  
Link Posted: 5/21/2005 7:49:43 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

I called it the Black Widow, but it was the 4in. barrel version with two clynders. .22LR and .22Mag.
Both gave me the tumbled shots.

Never buy this combo as .22LR & .22mag are two different diameter calibers. The bore on the combos basically splits the difference between the two, resulting in neither being very accurate. Obviously, this will vary by mfgr to mfgr. This is generally true of the full size combos as well.

Link Posted: 5/21/2005 2:19:55 PM EDT
[#12]
Thanks Bob.  Maybe that was the problem. With that in mind, I might try one again;with one cylinder. I think the Black Widow version in .22mag. is perfect. I like the larger grips and at least a two in. barrel.  Haven't shopped for one lately. What are they going for today, If available?
Link Posted: 5/21/2005 6:27:39 PM EDT
[#13]
30 feet
Link Posted: 5/21/2005 7:06:23 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

What are they going for today, If available?

There's plenty of them out there, not a huge demand for them, perhaps? The ones I see are in the mid-$200s, usually. The closer or below you get to $225, the more it slides heavily in your favor, IMO.

They're nicely made guns, IMO. No slop or clunky design to deride, no shoddy worksmanship either. For the niche it fills, it does it very nicely at a very attractive price & value for the money.

Link Posted: 5/21/2005 7:17:16 PM EDT
[#15]
Mine (pictured farther up the thread) is a 22lr/22mag conversion and it was $175 NIB.  Great value I think.
Link Posted: 5/21/2005 10:58:03 PM EDT
[#16]
The front sight blade fell off of my 22lr model.  Now I can hit less than shit beyond 10 yards........
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top