Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/19/2005 6:06:49 AM EDT
I am a right handed rifle shooter.  I've gotten used to using my non-dominant right eye for sighting iron sights and scoped rifle.  

I'm just getting into handgun shooting and although I'm shooting pistol right handed, I find I want to shift my sight picture to my left eye, my dominant eye.  The question is, should I use alternate eyes for rifle vs pistol, or stick with *one* way of doing things?

Is there one correct way, or is what works for me the right way?

My own gut feeling is I'm training two different parts of my brain, and I aught to work on just one.

Thoughts comments?
Link Posted: 5/19/2005 6:11:36 AM EDT
[#1]
what your doing is what i do.  i have shot that way for about 20 years.
it works very well for me.  

some folks will tell you to shoot pistols using your right eye.
some folks will tell you to shoot the rifle left handed.

try them all and see which is most comfortable for you.
Link Posted: 5/19/2005 12:42:33 PM EDT
[#2]
I'm also a cross-dominant (right-handed, left eye) shooter.  When I shoot a rifle right-handed I use my right eye, left-handed I use my left eye, and when I shoot pistols I use my left eye.  As a LE firearms instructor, I have seen many students who are cross-dominant.  Find what works best for you and then practice alot.  It will not prevent you from becoming a fine shot.
Link Posted: 5/19/2005 2:10:46 PM EDT
[#3]
Thank you!  All good input

I guess what is important is what actually works and is instinctive.

the gun will naturally align with the eye that seeks the sights.

Ok, when I just let it happen, that's what I'm doing.  

Find what works best for you and then practice alot

(til it becomes second nature..)

If I have think about it, it's taken too long.  

Link Posted: 5/19/2005 4:41:40 PM EDT
[#4]
Any good instructor will tell you the proper technique for a handgun is to keep both eyes open. Doing so makes it moot which eye is dominant as the gun will naturally align with the eye that seeks the sights.

Obviously, a rifle is totally different in its sight picture.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top