Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/15/2005 4:39:05 PM EDT
I presently own a Kimber Stainless in .45
Is it possible to to have a 10mm "upper" per say, a complete slide assembly in 10mm
and switch on the same frame?
Does the frame need to be beefed up?
Will the feed ramp work with both calibers?
Those who own a 10mm 1911, how do you like it?
Your feedback is greatly appreciated.

Link Posted: 5/15/2005 5:43:13 PM EDT
[#1]
The ejector is different,  it has to be over just a few hundreths in a inch to catch the smaller 10mm rim. The only way it could work is to install a 10mm ejector then have your .45 slide opened up to work with the new ejector, then you could go back and forth.
Yes, I have a 10mm Colt DeltaGold Cup stainless enhanced  from 1989. I would not trade it for anything.  Just recently I began building another 1911 stainless 10mm cause now that i'm older I wanted to mount a DOCTER electronic optic milled into the rear of the slide. Decided to build a new one cause I did not want ruin the value of my Colt (less than 1000 made)
I'll post pics when it's done!
Link Posted: 5/15/2005 7:06:12 PM EDT
[#2]
I can't tell you anything about your conversion idea...sounds neat if it'd work though.

I have a stainless Delta Gold Cup as well, although I think mine's from 1990.  I really like it, it's a great gun (one of the nicest looking 'stock' 1911's I've seen, too, just in terms of the overall aesthetics).  I'm giving thoughts toward selling it, however, just because at closing in on 20 bucks per box of ammo for the 'cheap' plinking stuff, I can't shoot it that much.  Other than ammo price, excellent piece.
Link Posted: 5/15/2005 7:39:47 PM EDT
[#3]
I can't help much with the gunsmithing question, other than when I was looking into it, I realized that it would be a lot more hassle to do that than just buy a Dan Wesson Razorback or find a used Delta Elite.  SVI will build you a custom 10mm 1911.  I haven't done either yet, but teh time will come.  

To the price of ammo, have you given a look at Double Taps practice ammo?  Georgia Arms has cheap practice ammo also.  It's not as expensive as the UMC or federal stuff anyway.  Lancer makes a reload that's a steal price wise, though it's downright anemic performance wise.  But, I bought 500 rounds for about 80 bucks locally to shoot in my Glock 20.  
Link Posted: 5/15/2005 8:41:54 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 5/16/2005 4:52:49 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
I presently own a Kimber Stainless in .45
Is it possible to to have a 10mm "upper" per say, a complete slide assembly in 10mm
and switch on the same frame?
Does the frame need to be beefed up?
Will the feed ramp work with both calibers?
Those who own a 10mm 1911, how do you like it?
Your feedback is greatly appreciated.

A dual caliber gun is not the best idea.  

If you switch to a 10mm slide, because of the ejector change, going back to a .45 is a no go.  You cannot convert a .45 slide, since the breechface is larger in the .45 for the larger casehead.

The frame does not need to be "beefed up".  The 10mm just requires heavier springs.

The feed ramp will work fine, but obviously, the new barrel needs to be looked at (i.e., the barrel should not be flush, nor overhang the frame feedramp).  

I've owned about 6 different 10mms, all Colt Deltas.  I love them.  To me, the recoil is noticeable faster, and I like how quickly the front sight gets back down on target.  

Basically, if you really want to switch to 10mm, you will need a new ejector, a new slide and barrel, a new recoil and firing pin spring, a new firing pin stop, a new exctractor, and a new barrel.   Once you've done that, you might as well buy a new gun, in my opinion, and have both.
Link Posted: 5/16/2005 2:50:49 PM EDT
[#6]
Thanks for the input guys.
Guess I'll have to start saving up.
Link Posted: 5/16/2005 7:58:51 PM EDT
[#7]
Since you decided to save up and just get a 10mm, you might want to consider Kimber's 10mm stainless target 1911, I am very pleased with mine (but I could be persuaded to pick up a like new Delta):

Link Posted: 5/17/2005 12:07:29 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Since you decided to save up and just get a 10mm, you might want to consider Kimber's 10mm stainless target 1911, I am very pleased with mine (but I could be persuaded to pick up a like new Delta):

sincitypitbulls.freeservers.com/Kimber1911LVZ.jpg

VZ grips are awesome!
Link Posted: 5/17/2005 12:18:56 PM EDT
[#9]
My suggestion, EVERYONE should own a 10mm, very fun to reload for.

I really like the 10mm in a 1911 platform. I current own two, both are DW, the first photo is a PMA Aussie, great shooter, very accurate.
second photo is a 10mm CBOB this will be my CCW weapon. I havent handled yet, its still at my smith shop, having the best of everything installed.

Link Posted: 5/17/2005 2:15:46 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
My suggestion, EVERYONE should own a 10mm, very fun to reload for.

I really like the 10mm in a 1911 platform. I current own two, both are DW, the first photo is a PMA Aussie, great shooter, very accurate.
second photo is a 10mm CBOB this will be my CCW weapon. I havent handled yet, its still at my smith shop, having the best of everything installed.
img.photobucket.com/albums/v628/V-Rod/0610d2c7.jpg
img.photobucket.com/albums/v628/V-Rod/port.jpg

Cool pics, what kind of grips are on that CBOB?
Link Posted: 5/21/2005 2:22:29 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Cool pics, what kind of grips are on that CBOB?

Thanks, I think they are larry davidson lazard grips.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top