Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/28/2002 7:52:58 AM EDT
STAR UltraStar.

Link Posted: 6/28/2002 5:55:00 PM EDT
[#1]
You had to bring up Stars...now I miss  all the PDs I ever had, plus an FRS in .22. I think the PD was ahead of its time and did everything that was expected of it. Looking at the Ultra and I think there was a Superstar too, the bass ackwards safety was a bit too alien for me...I still wonder why they did that?
Link Posted: 6/29/2002 5:23:46 AM EDT
[#2]
It's bassakwards in just about every way. Pont's the wrong way as a safety and works busidedown as a decocker.

BUT...

It is almost as intuitive a pointer as my SiG 230, has the nicest trigger reset I've found yet and will do double and tripple taps better than my SiG 225. It's compact, thin, easy to conceal, super reliable and accurate. Since you can still find a NIB for about $200.00, it has to be one of the real sleepers out there.

It has some really neat features. The popout pin takedown is nice. There's nothing protruding to get hit or snagged. The slide rides INSIDE the fram instaed of over it. This helps keep the slide-frame relationship constant and improves barrel lockup. The rear sight is held in place with a set screw so adjusting the sight for windage is a breeze (Clap Hands). The frame was re-enforced by adding struts, much like a T-Bar, so it doesn't feel like a polymer frame. It has a chamber loaded indicator. The mag release could be reversed to make it fully ambi, but I found that it's just as easy to hit the button as is with your trigger finger when shooting lefty.

It's a great pistol. Im sorry that STAR decided to get out of the US market but they felt that for the number of units sold (they were always at the high end, right up there with Colt, S&W and Beretta), the hassel just wasn't worth it.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top