Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/22/2002 3:00:58 PM EDT
Fullsize or midsize, it doesn't matter to me.
I'm going to use it for plinking and home defense with any ammo I can buy cheap. I guess I'm looking for the AK-47 of .45 pistols.
Thanks to those who reply.
Link Posted: 6/22/2002 3:56:07 PM EDT
[#1]
I've heard mix reviews about the Charles Daly .45, so you may want to do some research. Here is a link handguns.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?id=1505

Not sure of any other new .45s for under $500

Jamie
Link Posted: 6/22/2002 5:23:04 PM EDT
[#2]
Well, those that have never owned one or try to rag on Bill Ruger's past mistakes will never agree with this, but a Ruger P90 or P97 can both be had new for less than $500.  I currently own a P90 and have owned a P97 (sold it due to being laid off and I like the P90 better).  In fact, you can have night sights added and still be under $500.  I have a P89 (9mm), P90 (.45), and P91 (.40 cal).  They, as well as the P97 and 2 P94s I also sold for the same reason, are all accurate and I have never had one single problem with any of them.  I have 3 Sigs as well and, though the Sigs are the cream of the crop, the Rugers aren't far behind for a lot less money.

Go here.www.ruger-firearms.com/pistolscf.html

The MSRP will actually be less at most dealers.
Link Posted: 6/22/2002 6:23:22 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 6/22/2002 8:37:45 PM EDT
[#4]
thanks guy's. Yea, I guess I'm a tight ass.  I'd love to own a top grade .45, but I spent to much money on 2 new ar-15's and 10,000rds. of ammo to afford one right know. It seems that every time I log on to AR-15.com, 5 minutes later I'm buying something else, go figure?
thanks
Link Posted: 6/23/2002 5:18:42 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
thanks guy's. Yea, I guess I'm a tight ass.  I'd love to own a top grade .45, but I spent to much money on 2 new ar-15's and 10,000rds. of ammo to afford one right know. It seems that every time I log on to AR-15.com, 5 minutes later I'm buying something else, go figure?
thanks

The best 45acp out there
is the Colt or S&W 45acp revolver. You can usually find one for $500.00 or under in very good shape. And it will outshoot any or the 45acp pistols being made.

Here are a few that I've found. All have been well under $500.00, most well under $300.00 and one under $200.00. The 45acp revolver compares very well with the single stack 45acp pistol. Most of the pistols will hold 7 rounds, the revolver 6. Using moon clips it is possible to reload a revolver as quickly, maybe even quicker, than a pistol. Since barrel lengths are measured differently in revolvers and pistols, for a given barrel length the revolver will have a 1/2" to 1" longer effective barrel length. That also translates to a longer sight radius in most casses.

If you're looking for a great, fun, economical and functional 45acp, you really need to consider the older 45acp revolvers from Colt a S&W.

Link Posted: 6/23/2002 8:24:51 AM EDT
[#6]
I have a Norinco 1911 I bought for $225, one of my best buys ever. I changed out the srpings and have never had any problems.

Also at that cost, it is a great gun for fixing up, many fantastic guns are on Norinco frames.
Link Posted: 6/24/2002 5:26:46 AM EDT
[#7]
Another vote for the Ruger P90.  Picked mine up used for 325 with adjustable sights.  Not sure what the new price is but it must be under 500.

Gun has done everything I've asked of it.  Its a big ol' piece of tin, can't imagine trying to conceal it, but like all Rugers its built like a brick shxthouse; will probably outlast me and my kids.  Its more than accurate enough for IDPA matches.  

Have no experience with the P97 but friends have shot the polymer Ruger in 9mm and had no complaints.  If you don't plan on running thousands of rounds a year thru it I'm sure it will be perfectly adequate.
Link Posted: 6/24/2002 4:42:18 PM EDT
[#8]
Personaly I like the F.E.G GKK 45 I have one and it is accurate and reliable I only paid 250 + shipping and transfer. As for Ruger I dont buy from traitors he is no better than S&w!!!
Link Posted: 6/24/2002 4:55:35 PM EDT
[#9]
I would recommend against the Charles Daly.  I had one of the newer ones and eventually traded it in (plus lots of money) for a Sig 220st.  It jammed, I couldn't hit the target, the trigger pull was long and loose, etc...  I actually hit the bullseye occassionally with the Sig.

If it were me, I would put the $500 I would spend on a CD in an account and start saving for a Sig 220.  But that's just me.

I'm the dummy referenced in the aforementioned link -- save yourself a headache.
Link Posted: 6/24/2002 7:06:07 PM EDT
[#10]
I know you said you wanted new, but if you're looking for a 1911-type pistol, consider the Sistema M1927 for $300 or the Hartford Colt M1927 for $400.

I bought a Sistema and while it isn't the equal of my Kimber, it's not a bad pistol at all.  For the price, it's a great buy, IMO.

Here's a pic of my Sistema.  I did change out the plastic grips it came with for some padauk grips that I made.

Link Posted: 6/24/2002 9:39:52 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 6/25/2002 8:57:44 AM EDT
[#12]
I was wondering how long it would be before this crap started.

Quoted:
Personaly I like the F.E.G GKK 45 I have one and it is accurate and reliable I only paid 250 + shipping and transfer. As for Ruger I dont buy from traitors he is no better than S&w!!!

You don't have a clue about what Ruger did or did not do or you wouldn't compare it to S&W.  Nothing compares to what S&W did.  Oh, but I bet you will buy them now that they are back in American hands.  Your punctuation sucks.  Some first post.

Go read this:
www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?id=123152

Long discussion that proved that those who say things like what you said don't have a clue, Mr. Firstpost.  He made a mistake, admitted it, and has tried to atone for it.
Link Posted: 6/25/2002 9:11:49 AM EDT
[#13]
So is it still bad to buy S&W stuff?
Link Posted: 6/25/2002 6:12:22 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 6/25/2002 6:14:45 PM EDT
[#15]
Buy S&W. Good stuff by the greatest name in American Firearms, a National Treasure.

I like the older ones best, those from before 1970 or so, but that's a personal thing. The new S&W Revolvers and Pistols are first rate and certainly should be considered right up there with SiG, H&K, Colt, Ruger and way ahead of the new ones on the scene like GLOCK.
Link Posted: 6/25/2002 6:27:38 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 6/25/2002 7:59:12 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
This may be a record number of posts before some said the G-word in response to a pistol question.

And the user's name is G-CODE!  And you said the "G" word!  You win a lifetime supply of Austrian pistols and a hug from Gaston himself!!!
Link Posted: 6/26/2002 1:12:05 AM EDT
[#18]
If you'll just be a little less stingy, and spend $600, you can get one of these:

That's a parkerized Springfield loaded, w/ Novak night sights.  Great shooting pistol.

And, come to think of it...  I've been thinking about selling this one, as much as I love it, to pay for a needed car repair...  Mail me if you're interested.
Link Posted: 6/26/2002 2:07:03 PM EDT
[#19]
Is it rock river that has the basic 1911 for under $400?.....and that was at the expensive store.....the compact was $419.....they both looked good to me.......the sti`s are nicely made guns....about $700............the springfield mil spec is a damn good gun for the money.......also.....dan wesson is not a bad buy......dpms sells one now also......ak47 of 45`s...is the charles daly...I would say
Link Posted: 6/26/2002 6:21:54 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 6/27/2002 4:09:57 AM EDT
[#21]
O-K...it WAS rock island.....damn..that short term memory thing.....but I could`nt find it on the web......anyway..it probably is at least equal to CD at that price....honestly though it did`nt look bad...but as we all know..ya get what ya pay for................(it`s them damn green helicopters)
Link Posted: 6/27/2002 7:42:18 AM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 6/27/2002 10:20:01 AM EDT
[#23]
I'll put my two bits in for the Dan Wesson Pointman Minor at www.danwessonfirearms.com, $599.00 retail.  A word of advice, unless you want to lose your lunch:  do NOT go to www.danwesson.com, as it is a graphic anti-abortion site.

Anyway, here's a pic:
Link Posted: 6/27/2002 5:46:53 PM EDT
[#24]
What part of '.45' and 'under $500 new' didn't some of you understand?

He wants a new .45 for under $500!

Not used!

Not 9mm!

Not over $500, as in $550 or $599.
Link Posted: 6/27/2002 9:44:37 PM EDT
[#25]
Jeez Larry, calm down.

I know you're probably going through hell with the nicotine withdrawal, but don't take it out on everybody here.

Some of us were just giving G-CODE other possible options.  I don't really see any harm caused by this.

Take it easy and keep up the good work (about not smoking, I mean).

Link Posted: 6/28/2002 3:19:58 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
What part of '.45' and 'under $500 new' didn't some of you understand?

He wants a new .45 for under $500!

Not used!

Not 9mm!

Not over $500, as in $550 or $599.

Larry;

Every one of my recommendations were under $500.00 new. It's just that they were new 85 years ago.
Link Posted: 6/28/2002 1:39:11 PM EDT
[#27]
Larry:

Simmer down.  If you have any experience purchasing firearms, then you know that the MSRP does NOT necessarily equal the purchase price.  If you are paying MSRP, you are either in NYC or LA, or paying too much.

In general, a good FFL or shop owner will be able to get you your purchase for significantly less than MSRP.  The odds of this occurring are in direct proportion to the amount of trade you have brought said dealer.

We now return you to your regularly scheduled program.
Link Posted: 6/28/2002 4:32:51 PM EDT
[#28]
Hey, G-CODE, what have you done?  Did you find your pistol?
Link Posted: 6/28/2002 5:27:12 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
Jeez Larry, calm down.

I know you're probably going through hell with the nicotine withdrawal, but don't take it out on everybody here.

Some of us were just giving G-CODE other possible options.  I don't really see any harm caused by this.

Take it easy and keep up the good work (about not smoking, I mean).

I guess that's it, the nicotine.  I sure feel grumpy.
Link Posted: 7/2/2002 8:36:45 PM EDT
[#30]
I highly recommend the Springfield Mil Spec 1911 for $450
Link Posted: 7/2/2002 10:18:50 PM EDT
[#31]
I've heard good things about llamas, for 250 brand new thats a good price. They sure are heavy but the guy I talked to said he has shot the heck out of his and never had any problem. Plus for that price it's worth a shot IMO.
Scott
Link Posted: 7/20/2002 11:10:17 PM EDT
[#32]
I purchased a Charles Daly as my practice/plinker firearm.  I replaced the slide stop with a Wilson Combat part & also changed to Wilson mags...it has been very reliable & accurate since then.  Many people who have shot it think it is my Kimber until I make them read the slide...they can't believe it.  It is AS accurate as my Kimber & about as reliable....minor jams here & there with reloads but never with factory ammo...in either pistol.

I purchased it as a practice gun, but it has been a very pleasant surprise for me.  I would recommend one with the caveat that you may have to replace a part like the slide stop ($30.00)& do use Wilson mags ($25.00) with it.

I paid $450.00 for it brand new.  Keep in mind that the cosmetics are not as nice as the Kimber; in terms of tool marks & fit [its a little looser than  the Kimber or other higher priced 1911s]...at least for when I got mine about 1yr ago.  They have since come out with Lifetime Warranties on the "new" CDs...you only get one year with the Kimber.

Good luck.

charlesdaly.com/HTML/products/firearms/pistols/pistols.asp

http://charlesdaly.com/imageshttp://charlesdaly.com/images/firearms/pistols/1911/target/Empire%20ECMT.jpg/firearms/pistols/1911/target/Empire%20ECMT.jpg

Link Posted: 7/27/2002 5:33:44 PM EDT
[#33]
http://www.magnumresearch.com/old/images/new/PG15BEPS.jpg
IMI/MRI Jericho/Baby Eagle .45 ACP semi-compact. MSRP is $499.  You can find them in the $350-450 range.  10 rounds.  They're heavy.  They're also CZ clones.

Careful shopping and you may be able to find a CZ-97B at ~$500.  CZ's are the Rugers of Europe.  Tough as nails, good accuracy, and if you run out of ammo, you can beat the hell out of them with it.
Link Posted: 7/28/2002 8:44:18 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:
Careful shopping and you may be able to find a CZ-97B at ~$500.  CZ's are the Rugers of Europe.  Tough as nails, good accuracy, and if you run out of ammo, you can beat the hell out of them with it.

Hey now, no offense to Ruger, who have some real nice pistols for the price, but CZ ain't the "Ruger of Europe." The level of craftsmanship in (real, not clone) CZ pistols is quite high and what you expect from old-world european craftsmen.

I would definitely consider the CZ-97, and possibly the IMI clone as well, they are both really fine pistols and the equal of most 1911s. I personally prefer the feel of the CZ pistols. The Ruger P90 and P97 are so cheap you'd be able to buy a whole bunch of ammo to practice with and still be under $500, and of course a guy who's practiced alot with his $300 pistol is more useful than a guy who bought a $2k custom job and has never fired it! They will do the job when called on.

If you really have to have a 1911 (contrary to many people's opinions, there are plenty of other good .45 caliber pistols around), the guys are right in that you really should be looking in the $500-800 range instead.
Link Posted: 7/28/2002 4:13:35 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:
Hey now, no offense to Ruger, who have some real nice pistols for the price, but CZ ain't the "Ruger of Europe." The level of craftsmanship in (real, not clone) CZ pistols is quite high and what you expect from old-world european craftsmen.

I'm talking about the durability and bang-for-buck.

There's no need to explain the quality of the craftsmanship to me.  I will own nothing but CZs, with two notable exceptions.  And, if they wear out, they won't be replaced by anything but a CZ.
Link Posted: 8/2/2002 9:27:04 PM EDT
[#36]
Last month I picked up a Springfield Armory 1911A1 Mil-Spec brand spankin new for $399.00 out the door.  With a little leg work and a lot of phone calls to different dealers one can find a good deal if patient.  She's tight, accurate and has the classic look. I love her.

If looking for a double action gun it's hard to beat a Ruger P97. They can be had for under $400.
Link Posted: 8/5/2002 3:12:59 PM EDT
[#37]
My favorite .45 UNDER 500 is the...

IMI/Magnum research Baby Eagle.  

Cheap, reliable, accurate, good overall design.

That gets my vote
Link Posted: 8/7/2002 6:03:05 PM EDT
[#38]
You might give thought to the S&W Mod 457, I had one for a while when I needed a Quick and dirty compact .45. I ran the thing for about two years maybe 1500 rounds and never had a jam with several brands of wide mouth hollow point.

The seven round mags are a bit pricey at about $30 a pop, but are easily ordered or picked up at your local dealer.

I have no problem with S&W, in fact, I love doing business with the Harley Davidson of American Firearms.

And for that matter, When S&W comes out with it's .45 SW99, its gonna put the hurt on the HK USPC's.
Link Posted: 8/8/2002 4:15:21 AM EDT
[#39]
Since nobody else has mentioned it, the Taurus Millenium in .45 ACP goes for around $350, new.

Don't quite understand a DAO pistol with a safety lever, but there it is.  10 rounds, and fairly short, if a bit thick.
Link Posted: 8/8/2002 12:49:06 PM EDT
[#40]
Ruger...trust me.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top