Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/24/2016 2:14:08 PM EDT
So I am getting my conceal carry permit for Oregon and Utah but had a few questions. My smallest handgun i have is a ppq m2 is it small enough to easily carry ? If yes what holsters do you guys suggest ? I was looking at alien gear holsters seemed to be a good design and everyone i talk to about them seems to like them. If I should purchase a different firearm what would you guys suggest ?

EDIT: I am 6'3 240lbs
Link Posted: 2/24/2016 3:16:21 PM EDT
[#1]
I think you'd be able to conceal that just fine, but make sure you get a good belt. If you wanted something a little smaller I'd look at the PPS
Link Posted: 2/24/2016 3:22:15 PM EDT
[#2]
We're about the same size.  I think any pistol that is G19 sized is small enough to carry and conceal well.  I've tried the hybrid style (Alien Gear) holsters and I'm just not a fan.  For me, it seemed like "a lot of stuff" in my waist band to carry a compact 9mm.  Maybe it would make more sense with the more full-size PPQ.  Can't say for sure.  I really like my Cook's kydex IWB holster.  Take a look at something that style.  It has been very secure and barely adds anything to the "waist band footprint" of the gun.
Link Posted: 2/24/2016 4:54:55 PM EDT
[#3]
Don't forget to buy a couple of pairs of pants that have a size or two larger waistband than normal. This will greatly help with IWB carry. I used to carry a Springfield XD service model that way. It was possible, although a little heavy.
Link Posted: 2/24/2016 5:13:18 PM EDT
[#4]
What you really need are:

1) training and

2) practice.

It's not possible to have too much of either one.  

Take advanced classes.  

At least practice drawing from concealment - as fast as possible - and putting 2 rounds COM.  Practice in low light conditions.

You can get additional practice through IDPA or Uspsa.  

With great power comes great responsibility.

Link Posted: 2/24/2016 6:07:46 PM EDT
[#5]
I'm 6'3" 225#.  I find I can conceal just about anything I want to, provided I dress appropriately.  I used to carry a P229 exclusively, but my PPQ M2 has crept in.  I carry the P229 in a MTAC and got an Alien Gear Cloak Tuck 3 for the PPQ.  I can tell you the MTAC is head and shoulders better than the Alien Gear.  

I got the Alien Gear combo and the OWB is...well pure garbage.  Don't even think about buying one.  The IWB I got is the neoprene backed (fasteners covered) with the sheet of support steel sewn in.  It retains well enough, but the holster is bigger than it needs to be.  The neoprene gets a little warm against the body.  The screws for the clips constantly loosen so they're spinning around all the time.  Noticed one of my retention screws the other day just disappeared.  I always wear an undershirt and the neoprene backing makes putting the holster on a pain.  The MTAC just slides right in and clips on the belt.  To put the AG on, I have to undo my pants, clip the holster on the belt and do myself back up.  

The short of it:  don't bother with AG unless you are seriously penny-pinching to eat.  And the PPQ is a fine pistol to carry.  IMO, people way overthink carry size and end up with something a lot smaller than they could carry without any issue.
Link Posted: 2/24/2016 6:12:23 PM EDT
[#6]
Make sure you get a good carry belt (I currently use a beltman bullhide and love it)

As for holsters I've tried both the Comptac MTAC and the Stealthgear ONYX. I prefer the stealthgear, a lot more comfortable and a lot more breathable.
Link Posted: 2/24/2016 6:57:15 PM EDT
[#7]
I can conceal my G26 IWB with just about any outfit, I can conceal it OWB with an appropriate shirt. I tend to carry my G42 pretty exclusively though because of the weight factor of the gun.

6'0 215 and hello to a fellow Oregonian carrying! Props!
Link Posted: 2/24/2016 7:13:01 PM EDT
[#8]
You can conceal that gun fine, but it may take practice doing so. You need a good belt. My personal recommendations are Ares gear or stormrider Warlord. For a holster, I would recommend the T-rex arms Sidecar or Raptor. I find it easier to conceal bigger guns in the appendix position. Make sure you get training and make sure you are 100% on the 4 safety rules. Especially keeping your finger off the trigger and out of the trigger guard until you are on target and have made the decision to shoot.
Link Posted: 2/25/2016 12:38:10 AM EDT
[#9]
Thank you guys for the info so far. sounds like I will give a ppq a go but will stay away from alien gear anymore suggestions for what holster to get ? As for training I do plan to take a intermediate and advanced defensive handgun class from paratus northwest a nice local company. Will the 5.11 Tactical Trainer 1 1/2-Inch Belt be sufficient ?
Link Posted: 2/25/2016 1:27:07 AM EDT
[#10]
5'10", 175lbs and carry PPQ in a Stealthgear AIWB easily. Every time we come home I ask the wife if she knew I was carrying and she always says no. It is a comfortable holster.

In my opinion you don't need a good belt for IWB. For outside carry, you need a good belt to support the weight.
Link Posted: 2/25/2016 2:03:41 AM EDT
[#11]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted: IMO, people way overthink carry size and end up with something a lot smaller than they could carry without any issue.
View Quote

Exactly, when I started carrying all I had was a 5" 1911 and a 4" S&W N frame, so I learned how to keep them concealed.

And there's this

Desert Eagle IWB
Link Posted: 2/25/2016 2:59:37 AM EDT
[#12]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Thank you guys for the info so far. sounds like I will give a ppq a go but will stay away from alien gear anymore suggestions for what holster to get ? As for training I do plan to take a intermediate and advanced defensive handgun class from paratus northwest a nice local company. Will the 5.11 Tactical Trainer 1 1/2-Inch Belt be sufficient ?
View Quote

The 5.11 Tactical Trainer belt will work great
Link Posted: 2/25/2016 2:21:06 PM EDT
[#13]
I've been daily carrying in Alien Gear IWB holsters since 2014.  I use the 1.0 leather versions and have shells for 3 pistols.  I carry anything from full-size down to the Makarov.  Smaller I pocket carry.  Alien Gear is GTG, in my opinion.
Link Posted: 2/25/2016 4:08:42 PM EDT
[#14]
MTAC with either a G26 or G30S are my most carried
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top