Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/11/2002 11:33:00 AM EDT
Howdy all,
I've got a stainless GP-100 that will be my trail gun on canoe/camping/hiking trips this summer and fall. My GF can shoot it well so its the obvious choice, as she will be with me on all but the hunting trips.
Anyhoo, I'm looking to get it coated or treated with a rust resistant/rustproof coating. I really like Black-T (as in what Benchmade uses) and I dislike parkerizing. I'd like it to be dark in color, and non-reflective.
Ideas? is there a product on the market that suits my needs? yes, I know flat black spraypaint would do all that I require, but I'd like something a little more refined ;-)
Thanks!
Link Posted: 6/11/2002 5:23:02 PM EDT
[#1]
Flat black spray paint--oh, you want something better....Brownells makes some sort of spray on finishes that you bake on.  Not sure if they work w/ stainless steel, might be worth looking into.

YOu might also have it bead-blasted, it wouldn't be dark, but would be non-reflective
Link Posted: 6/11/2002 5:36:07 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 6/12/2002 6:31:59 AM EDT
[#3]
Several folks here, including myself, have had good results with the Brownell's teflon moly coating, which is basically a spray paint.  It won't rust and is probably as abrasion resistant as Black-T.  Plus the embedded lubricant particles help smooth the action.

Norrell Arms sells something similar, a moly resin. This stuff is available by the pint, though, so you can use an airbrush to apply it.  It works well too but they recommend bead- or sand-blasting the metal first for better adhesion.

Here are a couple of guns of mine showing the teflon moly finish.

Link Posted: 6/13/2002 9:20:49 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 6/14/2002 3:54:38 AM EDT
[#5]
Thanks for all the replies.
I called Robar and they want $240 to finish my revolver. IMO, thats way too much money.
I also tried a few other places and they are all above $200 as well. I think I'm just going to get it bead blasted (to tone down the stainless steel) and call it good. However, if I find a coating that meets my needs and is reasonably priced I would have it coated in a heartbeart. (black spray paint excluded)
Link Posted: 6/15/2002 7:38:47 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Thanks for all the replies.
I called Robar and they want $240 to finish my revolver. IMO, thats way too much money.
I also tried a few other places and they are all above $200 as well.

Did you talk with the folks at www.shootiniron.com ?  Mac will GunKote a revolver for $105, it says.  I've seen their work - they do a good job and have quick turnaround.
Link Posted: 6/17/2002 5:06:19 AM EDT
[#7]
I'm sending my P226 off to Walter Birdsong to get his Black-T finish applied.  It's going to cost me $165, but the price is actually $155.  The extra $10 is for an extra magazine.  Give him a call at (601) 939-7448.  It might be cheaper for a revolver.
Link Posted: 6/17/2002 2:51:48 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
I'm sending my P226 off to Walter Birdsong to get his Black-T finish applied.  It's going to cost me $165, but the price is actually $155.  The extra $10 is for an extra magazine.  Give him a call at (601) 939-7448.  It might be cheaper for a revolver.

Black T is exactly what I had in mind. Same as whats on the coated Benchmade knife blades right? Thats good stuff. My BM balisong is 4 years old and that stuff hasn't even begun to wear.
Link Posted: 6/18/2002 4:38:33 AM EDT
[#9]
Slacker,

I think Black-T is used on the Benchmade knives.  Give Walter a call.  A word of warning, prepare to be on the phone for a long time.  He will talk your ear off.  He is a southern gentleman and will gladly answer any questions you have.  He will also tell you how they apply the finish.  The only problem I have is that I was quoted an 8 to 10 week turnaround. Good luck.
Link Posted: 6/18/2002 7:01:52 AM EDT
[#10]
I just got off the phone with Walter. Longwinded is an understatment. We spent 30 mins talking about how much he hates UPS, Benchmade and Ernest Emerson.
What an interesting character. Did you know that they coat the inside of the chamber and ALL springs, Pins and such?
The only part of the firearm that doesn't get coated is the bore. I'm shipping mine out ASAP.
Link Posted: 6/18/2002 11:09:15 AM EDT
[#11]
Slacker,

Did they give you a quote of 8 to 10 weeks for turnaround?  Was a revolver any cheaper than an auto?

Thanks
Link Posted: 6/18/2002 1:53:37 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Slacker,

Did they give you a quote of 8 to 10 weeks for turnaround?  Was a revolver any cheaper than an auto?

Thanks

6-8 weeks, $155.00 and they do the WHOLE gun minus the bore. Walter said they even do the inside of the chambers and the forcing cone on revolvers! That means the ONLY thing that can rust on my revolver will be the bore.
Kick ass! And a great price. Thanks for turning me onto these guys.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top