Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/4/2002 9:05:36 PM EDT
Of course not! hat
Although I do know that even those guns like the TAC9 are not very reliable – the do go bang for the most part when you pull the trigger.  <If not then they would not have been restricted as an assault pistol>
- Sulaco
Link Posted: 6/5/2002 3:52:51 AM EDT
[#1]
The guns from RG, Davis, Lorcin, Jennings, Bryco; the ones that sell for $49.99 are ones that I would stay away from unless all that I could afford was a $50.00 gun. If I had no gun for selfdefense, I would rather have a $50.00 Jennings than no gun at all.

Link Posted: 6/5/2002 6:32:12 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:Of course not!
I was just kind of wondering what brands/models of sidearms I should stay away from when considering a handgun.  I know the TAC9’s score high on peoples don’t buy list but what other guns are out there that fit the same profile?

Although I do know that even those guns like the TAC9 are not very reliable – the do go bang for the most part when you pull the trigger.  <If not then they would not have been restricted as an assault pistol>
- Sulaco

Guns I tend to stay away from because of quality issues:

Taurus
Kel-Tec
Charles Daly
EAA
Intratec
Phoenix Arms

and the obvious: Lorcin, Talon, Hi-Point, etc.  Jennings and Davis aren't too bad for such a cheap gun (they mostly work), but I'd have to be out of options to consider one.
Link Posted: 6/5/2002 7:39:25 AM EDT
[#3]
In the past it was RG, Sterling, Tanarmi, Clerke, Llama, FIE...Arminus-Titan-Guardian, Targa. (Just a short list) If you ever see any at the shows, pass. Tec-9s have problems, I HAD 3 or 4. And Tec-22s are very hard to make work, also have HAD 3 or 4 of those.
Link Posted: 6/5/2002 9:02:07 AM EDT
[#4]
It might be shorter if we listed the "good" brands on the market today. Basically any thing that is a brand name (ie, beretta, colt, springfield, sig, hk, smith, glock, kimber, etc...).  They are well known for a reason
Link Posted: 6/5/2002 12:21:32 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 6/5/2002 8:24:57 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Guns I tend to stay away from because of quality issues:

Taurus
Kel-Tec
Charles Daly

D'oh!
Link Posted: 6/6/2002 12:48:17 AM EDT
[#7]
I have a slightly used Hawes .25acp auto loader that I'm about to put up for sale, sulaco.

It is crafted from the finest pot metal and only has two very small cracks on the breech face.

Asking $600.00

Hurry up with your offer as I'm sure that when others get wind of this, I'll be inundated with inquiries.

For you, I'll knock it down to $595.00 since the weapon has no magazine.

Hurry!!!

EDITED TO ADD:  This is a TACTICAL pistol.
Link Posted: 6/6/2002 4:25:06 AM EDT
[#8]
Dont Forget the S/W Sigma series
Link Posted: 6/6/2002 7:14:41 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:Dont Forget the S/W Sigma series

I agree.  The Sigma isn't a low-quality piece of garbage as much as it is just a bad design.  Ah, what the hell... I'm feeling charitable today:  if you could do something, ANYTHING, about that Gawd-awful trigger, I'm willing to concede the Smegma might actually be a decent gun.

If somebody wants to send me their Sigma, I will be happy to break out the mill and lathe and try to fabricate a trigger that doesn't require the combined efforts of The Incredible Hulk and Bob Hope to fire.
Link Posted: 6/6/2002 3:10:59 PM EDT
[#10]
I have owned two Taurus's(Taurusi ?) and only had a minor problem with one of them. Taurus fixed it, pretty quickly too. I know 50% success rate. I got rid of the PT-908(it was the 'good' one), the wife wanted a fullsize Ruger. I still have the PT-100. Always goes BANG. It was also my first gun. The first is always the best.

ByteTheBullet  (-:
Link Posted: 6/7/2002 2:46:34 AM EDT
[#11]
My Tuarus Millennium was one of the three handguns I got rid of and never regretted. It had without a doubt, the worst trigger I've ever come across in my life. It was so bad that I traded it in before I even shot it.
Link Posted: 6/13/2002 8:55:20 PM EDT
[#12]
I don't know why anyone would buy a $69 .25 auto pistol for homedefense first off its probably going to break or jam and if it doesn't and you hit them its probably not going to put them down. if you want a cheap and effective gun by a $170 norinco 12ga "coach gun" i bought one and its pretty cool and there are very few people who can't be takin care of by 2 rounds of 3" 000 buck.
Link Posted: 6/15/2002 9:44:23 AM EDT
[#13]
1) F.I.E
2) I didn't like the CZ-70, worked well for under $100, but an awful trigger slap.
Link Posted: 6/19/2002 9:53:02 PM EDT
[#14]
That makes sense to me, greg. I didn't buy a pistol until I could afford one that would work 100% (USP45f). When I needed home defense I picked up a Mossy500 12 ga. for about $200. Of course my cz 75b is pretty nice for $350. I'm a new handgunner and the advice here is pretty much what I've been following - stick with the names you know hk, sig, glock, etc.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top