Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/27/2002 12:54:50 PM EDT
I cleaned the outside slide on my Compact H&k USP 9 with shooter's choice, and it dulled the finish in some places. I did follow up with  CLP. Any suggestions on how to remedy this?

Dre
Link Posted: 5/27/2002 3:47:58 PM EDT
[#1]
Not having ever used Shooters Choice, I couldn't comment on that. But I am curious on where the discoloration is. Frame? Slide? All over? Or just around the muzzle? Maybe that information would help someone that knows.
Link Posted: 5/27/2002 6:20:22 PM EDT
[#2]
It's on the slide all over. I can see in some places the original finish, then in other places it is dull.

Link Posted: 5/27/2002 6:32:52 PM EDT
[#3]
I have found that almost any finish changes on the h&k during cleaning or any other evolution will restore itself after a few days. I have had scratches on mine that went away.
Link Posted: 5/28/2002 1:41:33 PM EDT
[#4]
Vortac,
I was hoping that myself, but it has been over a week now. Let me first say I'm new to this, but I'm assuming the gun is blued, If it does not restore itself, is there something I could use to restore the original finish? Or re-blue it myself?
Link Posted: 5/28/2002 2:05:05 PM EDT
[#5]
Dear God no!!!! it's not blued, it's nitro gas carbeurized black oxide(whatever that means) Finish problems would have to be dealt with by h&k directly. The finish is much more corrosion resistant and durable than blueing. I still would not worry about it too much. Rub some oil on the finish and let it set for a few more.

If that does not do it then i would place a call to h&k in Va. thier armorers should be able to answer any concerns you might have.
Link Posted: 5/28/2002 5:40:58 PM EDT
[#6]
If you decide to re-paint your gun, make sure to use herculiner.  Its used on truck beds and is real durable and sticks to guns good. Of course I'm kidding, but I've heard a story about a guy "fixin up" his shotgun w/ this stuff.  BTW, I hope your HK recovers fully.  ZT
Link Posted: 5/29/2002 2:10:34 AM EDT
[#7]
I would try recleaning the slide with a solvent, then try another kind of preserving coating, just to see. At least nobody suggested the dishwasher. (nobody likes water spots)  I wonder if its from heat treatment in high wear areas? It would bug me too, you are not alone. Last ditch phone calls to manufacturer may shed some light on the problem. Let us know if it goes that far and what happens.
Link Posted: 5/29/2002 5:01:57 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
If you decide to re-paint your gun, make sure to use herculiner.  Its used on truck beds and is real durable and sticks to guns good. Of course I'm kidding, but I've heard a story about a guy "fixin up" his shotgun w/ this stuff.  BTW, I hope your HK recovers fully.  ZT

Dude, you had me . Thanks for the good laugh.

I did`nt really think anybody was that
Link Posted: 5/29/2002 7:00:35 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:Vortac,
I was hoping that myself, but it has been over a week now. Let me first say I'm new to this, but I'm assuming the gun is blued, If it does not restore itself, is there something I could use to restore the original finish? Or re-blue it myself?

It's an HK.  It's supposed to be ugly.  It's a Utility Sport Pistol.

But if it really bothers you, it could be refinished.  HK has a fancy name for the finish but in my experience, it isn't much, if any, more durable or corrosion resistant than bluing.  Mac at www.shootiniron.com will Gunkote it for a very reasonable price.  Or feel free to attempt one of the do-it-yourself spray finishes.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top