Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/17/2015 4:43:21 PM EDT
Shot my new SP01 today at the range, pistol performed well not one FTE or FTF.  Shot only 130 rounds.

While cleaning I noticed copper fouling build up.  I used Mpro7 gun cleaner.... but did not help at all.  Used a nylon brush after letting the Mpro7 sit, and followed the brushing with a patch coated in LPX.

Any help would be appreciated!

I haven't shot or cleaned a handgun in years, been dicking around with ARs where carbon is more of a problem.
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 4:57:35 PM EDT
[#1]
Use a bronze, rather than nylon, brush and don't worry about some copper colored discoloration because copper buildup in a pistol  barrel isn't a problem due to the limited pressures and projectile velocities involved.

There are top shooters and at least one respected barrel manufacturer that recommend  never to clean a pistol barrel.
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 4:58:41 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Use a bronze, rather than nylon, brush and don't worry about some copper colored discoloration because copper buildup in a pistol  barrel isn't a problem due to the limited pressures and projectile velocities involved.

There are top shooters and at least one respected barrel manufacturer that recommend  never to clean a pistol barrel.
View Quote

Clean as in brushes?  

Or clean as in the occasional patch with lube on it?
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 5:23:38 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

View Quote

Citation? because that sounds like the dumbest thing Ive ever heard.
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 6:19:13 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Obviously, you've never met my sister-in-law.
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 6:51:02 PM EDT
[#5]
A copper removing solvent with a bronze brush. Bore scrubber works good, hoppes does a copper remover, butchs bore shine, sweet 7.62, bore tech eliminator, etc.
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 10:09:23 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I clean all my barrels after every trip to the range and I go 2-3 times a week,

My own barrels are spotless; I use Hoppes solvent and a brass brush and tight jag and patches,  and then I repeat  the entire process with Breakfree CLP.

But the fact is that unlike as with rifles, copper buildup in pistol barrels normally presents no problem due to the pressures and projectile velocities involved.

It does sound counter intuitive but here it is.

Schuemann Barrels
POB 50 PMB 177
White Salmon, WA 98672

http://www.schuemann.com/Portals/0/Documentation/Webfile_Barrel_Cleaning.pdf

"My Personal Practice has become to never clean the bore of my barrels. I do use a brass rod to scrape the deposits out of the chamber. But, I've learned to leave the bore alone and it very slowly becomes shinier and cleaner all by itself. Years ago I occasionally scrubbed the bore with a brass bore brush. But, doing so always seemed to cause the bore to revert to a dirtier look with more shooting, so I eventually stopped ever putting anything down the bore except bullets..."

Link Posted: 1/18/2015 1:33:15 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
A copper removing solvent with a bronze brush. Bore scrubber works good, hoppes does a copper remover, butchs bore shine, sweet 7.62, bore tech eliminator, etc.
View Quote

This is the correct answer.  You should not be doing this often as it shouldn't be needed.  I have shot out MP22 barrels they were fouled and simply needed bore tech eliminator copper solution.  With pistols I go as far as plugging off the base of the barrel and filling the barrel completely with the boretech.  22's especially take very little.  I then use a bronze brush.  Realize that you will need to refoul the barrel to an acceptable level much like a precision rifle that begins to lose accuracy.  Punch out the fouling shoot a hand full of groups and watch as they tighten right back up.  I have never had an issue with a center fire pistol but I don't shoot nearly as many of them as I do .22
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top